Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 11:50:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: RPI and Cron Jobs ?  (Read 573 times)
Sakarias-Corporation (OP)

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

Call me Alice. just Alice.

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2015, 12:50:31 AM

how good are RPI's With Cron jobs ? (once every 5th minute)

guitarplinker
Legendary

Activity: 1694
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2015, 12:55:14 AM

My Pi is great with cronjobs. I run a few of them: one to check to make sure all machines on my local network are awake and pingable (coded in Python), another to generate a random number (coded in Python again), and finally, one to generate a random image (just a bash script). It's worth mentioning that I'm using a single model B for all these tasks, that is also running an Apache webserver.

I run the network ping test every two minutes and output the results to a text file. It works great, and is consistently updated every two minutes. I run the random number script once a day, and then the random image script once every 6 hours. Obviously none of these tasks are very resource demanding, and the Pi seems to handle it fine. If you're looking to run simple scripts like these every five minutes it should work out no problem.

What kind of script(s) are you looking at having the Pi run for you?
Sakarias-Corporation (OP)

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

Call me Alice. just Alice.

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2015, 01:00:53 AM

My Pi is great with cronjobs. I run a few of them: one to check to make sure all machines on my local network are awake and pingable (coded in Python), another to generate a random number (coded in Python again), and finally, one to generate a random image (just a bash script). It's worth mentioning that I'm using a single model B for all these tasks, that is also running an Apache webserver.

I run the network ping test every two minutes and output the results to a text file. It works great, and is consistently updated every two minutes. I run the random number script once a day, and then the random image script once every 6 hours. Obviously none of these tasks are very resource demanding, and the Pi seems to handle it fine. If you're looking to run simple scripts like these every five minutes it should work out no problem.

i'll need the RPI to run a Cron Job every 5 minute, to trigger a Gambling script on my web hosting server. at the moment i can only trigger the script once every 1 hour due to limitation with the hosting, so i thought a RPI might do the trick

guitarplinker
Legendary

Activity: 1694
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2015, 01:02:16 AM

i'll need the RPI to run a Cron Job every 5 minute, to trigger a Gambling script on my web hosting server. at the moment i can only trigger the script once every 1 hour due to limitation with the hosting, so i thought a RPI might do the trick
If this script isn't too complicated I think it should work fine. If you want, you could send me the script and I could test it out for you, and make sure that it can run every five minutes on my Pi.
Reynaldo
Legendary

Activity: 1143
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 02:23:26 PM

It should work really well, cron jobs usually do not consume lots of resources; if you use a modern linux OS on your raspberry pi, you might be able to make an script with systemd instead of a cronjob, although this would require more code.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: