Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 02:04:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: is Greg Maxwell wrong about the block increase?  (Read 4342 times)
RoadTrain
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 03, 2015, 08:36:10 AM

By that logic, you're going to be multiples slower than with TOR vs non-TOR, regardless of the blocksize.
No. With higher blocksizes, disadvantage of TOR mining increases.

It is possible to run a mining rig over TOR to a node that can be a mining pool or solo mining pool.  The bandwidth required over TOR is minimal because of the design of the Stratum protocol.  The blocksize can be small or large, as determined by the full node and your mining rig(s).  The bandwidth required between your site and the mining pool is independent of block size and independent of your hash rate, or even number of mining rigs if you use a local stratum proxy.

Yes, that's a legitimate use-case. I honestly have been talking about solo-mining, which anyway seems to be marginal nowadays.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
S4VV4S

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502

View Profile
September 03, 2015, 09:18:21 AM

By that logic, you're going to be multiples slower than with TOR vs non-TOR, regardless of the blocksize.

It is possible to run a mining rig over TOR to a node that can be a mining pool or solo mining pool.  The bandwidth required over TOR is minimal because of the design of the Stratum protocol.  The blocksize can be small or large, as determined by the full node and your mining rig(s).  The bandwidth required between your site and the mining pool is independent of block size and independent of your hash rate, or even number of mining rigs if you use a local stratum proxy.

Yes, that's a legitimate use-case. I honestly have been talking about solo-mining, which anyway seems to be marginal nowadays.

Unless you 're an ASIC manufacturer, or a huge fan of the sport/hobbie (and can afford to of course),
then SOLO mining is a thing of the past of where we get to tell other people that: I remeber once I used to solo-mine....

It's like the internet (in my case).
One day I will be able to tell my grand kids that I am older than the internet.
That would blow their minds.... Shocked Shocked Shocked
brg444

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
September 03, 2015, 09:22:30 AM

Unless you 're an ASIC manufacturer, or a huge fan of the sport/hobbie (and can afford to of course),
then SOLO mining is a thing of the past of where we get to tell other people that: I remeber once I used to solo-mine....

This I agree with

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
tl121

Activity: 278
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 04, 2015, 02:59:33 PM

Marginal, yes.  However, easy and very profitable if you are lucky.  Thank you, solo.ckpool.com.     Smiley
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  All
  Print  

Jump to: