Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:26:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Letter To ?  (Read 8664 times)
mizerydearia (OP)

Activity: 574
Merit: 507

View Profile
August 30, 2010, 07:18:40 AM
Last edit: August 30, 2010, 07:53:23 AM by mizerydearia

In tradition of Kiba's Letter to the EFF and inspired by a new thought experiment: bitcoin's industry identifier I would like to prepare this thread to collaboratively produce letters to charities and organizations that any of us feel worthy of inviting to our community.

So as to not cause confusion, as first line, use name of charity/organization your post is in reference to or to suggest another charity organization and then provide commentary/letters/revisions below.  I will periodically update this initial post to help keep things organized.

Charities

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mizerydearia (OP)

View Profile
August 30, 2010, 07:19:10 AM
Last edit: August 30, 2010, 06:54:53 PM by mizerydearia

To begin, Charity: Water

Rough draft:
Dear Charity: Water,

The Bitcoin community would like to introduce to you Bitcoin <https://bitcoin.org> as a new open-source P2P system that may help to benefit your organization by providing a means to accept small donations nearly effortlessly and with a near zero monetary overhead.

[insert brief paragraph here on how the charity/organization can establish using Bitcoin to contribute towards their donations/funding]

Warmest regards,
The Bitcoin community

sources: creighto, kiba

As this particular letter is written well enough, I foresee it can be used as a template.

Draft taken from above and made into template:

Dear [charity],

The Bitcoin community would like to introduce to you Bitcoin <https://bitcoin.org> as a new open-source P2P system that may help to benefit your organization by providing a means to accept small donations nearly effortlessly and with a near zero monetary overhead.

[insert brief paragraph here on how the charity/organization can establish using Bitcoin to contribute towards their donations/funding]

Warmest regards,
The Bitcoin community
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
August 30, 2010, 12:26:37 PM

It is not a good idea to stretch the generosity of the bitcoin community too thin. Focus on one charity at a time, and geek charity first. The objective is to unite the geek tribe under one banner.

MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 30, 2010, 01:57:54 PM

http://crisiscommons.org/about-us/

http://www.geekswithoutborders.org

http://www.childsplaycharity.org/index.php

http://www.freegeek.org/

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
kiba
Legendary

View Profile
August 30, 2010, 03:10:58 PM

Don't forget the big guys like the Free Software Foundation.

Red

Activity: 210
Merit: 111

View Profile
August 30, 2010, 03:57:57 PM

Don't forget Public Knowledge. Gigi has done a lot.

http://www.publicknowledge.org/
mizerydearia (OP)

View Profile
August 30, 2010, 06:50:43 PM

It is not a good idea to stretch the generosity of the bitcoin community too thin. Focus on one charity at a time, and geek charity first. The objective is to unite the geek tribe under one banner.

My intended focus is more on informing charities and organizations of the existence of Bitcoin and how they can benefit from it rather than focusing on suggesting to the charity that our community would like to donate.

I took out the "appreciates your efforts to provide clean and safe drinking water to people in developing nations" part as it is irrelevant to indicate that our community is appreciative since the focus differs from the Letter to EFF.
kiba
Legendary

View Profile
August 30, 2010, 08:21:17 PM

My intended focus is more on informing charities and organizations of the existence of Bitcoin and how they can benefit from it rather than focusing on suggesting to the charity that our community would like to donate.

That is not what I meant. My focus is on the goal of making bitcoin stronger using the limited goodwill of the bitcoin community. Geek charities are more likely to understand what bitcoin is and is likely to sympathize with the various goals of the bitcoin community.

Anonymous

August 30, 2010, 11:52:50 PM

That is not what I meant. My focus is on the goal of making bitcoin stronger using the limited goodwill of the bitcoin community. Geek charities are more likely to understand what bitcoin is and is likely to sympathize with the various goals of the bitcoin community.

Maybe the charities that bitcoin actively donates too should be limited at this stage but an outreach program is also a good idea. The charities may then inform their own members if they decide it is something they want to pursue.
mizerydearia (OP)

View Profile
August 31, 2010, 01:20:49 AM

Mm, BOP (Bitcoin Outreach Program) - Maybe we can start it.  Hanson?  Huh?  What?  Offtopic? o_O

http://www.ehow.com/how_2148896_start-community-outreach-program.html

We could volunteer our time to meet the needs of a charity or organization in their usage of Bitcoin (e.g. answer any questions they may have, or better, to organize such information to prepare to them as well.)  Perhaps the focus of my letter can be used to establish a kind of informative approach in introducing Bitcoin to charities and organizations; including such things as an offer to offer to assist them if they have any questions.  Instead of directing them to the forum in which they may not be so inclined to use for support, they may prefer to send an email instead, or fill out a web-based form.

There is much knowledge discussed throughout the forum.  It would be convenient to extract informative, insightful informations to prepare in a kind of informational package.
Anonymous

August 31, 2010, 07:53:29 AM
Last edit: August 31, 2010, 09:54:15 AM by noagendamarket

lmao Hanson = Justin Bieber  Cheesy

It sounds like a great idea to have a bitcoin welcoming committee.Forums can be a bit daunting for new people.

I took the initiative and created a Get Satisfaction page for Bitcoin.People can ask questions and have them answered.

http://getsatisfaction.com/bitcoin

Does bitcoin have any official social media profiles ?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: