Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 04:33:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to keep a power supply running connected to a PC and a Miner?  (Read 2045 times)
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 04:07:09 AM

I think were all pretty much on same page that this is not easily going to happen.

What miner are you going to run, and why are you not wanting to use secondary PSU so bad?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ezeminer
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1118

Lie down. Have a cookie

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 05:47:07 AM

The only way would be philips idea.

Other than that I believe it is pin 16 + either 17 or 18 for the PSU to be powered on, how you can get that past the motherboard is a different challenge.

thedreamer (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1694
Merit: 1002

Go Big or Go Home.....

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 03:53:03 AM

What would happen if the PS power-on trick jumper pins were connected at the cable level?

So it is plugged into a motherboard but the power on wires are connected constantly?

I also read somewhere about some person using a resistor to do the same across those wires with success.

Go Big or Go Home.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 04:35:10 AM

What would happen if the PS power-on trick jumper pins were connected at the cable level?

So it is plugged into a motherboard but the power on wires are connected constantly?

I also read somewhere about some person using a resistor to do the same across those wires with success.

Resistor/switch/paperclip are are essentially the same.  And they all work.

On plugging in to computer I would think computer would be powered on and just stay on with just the power jumped.  Look at  philipma1957's he did a good job of showing what needs to be on a switch if you wanted to do this.
hurricandave
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 26, 2015, 12:51:42 PM

The biggest outstanding question is- "What miner are you trying to power?" Why would it matter?- well simply put- Some of the newest spec PSU's on the market today DO HAVE the Ability to allow the PC to be OFF while still sending Power to Charge a USB Device. The available amperage is low, 2amps or less. I'm not aware of any Current Mining Hardware that can operate as a Stand Alone Miner with this power scheme.
thedreamer (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1694
Merit: 1002

Go Big or Go Home.....

View Profile
March 26, 2015, 03:35:56 PM

The biggest outstanding question is- "What miner are you trying to power?" Why would it matter?- well simply put- Some of the newest spec PSU's on the market today DO HAVE the Ability to allow the PC to be OFF while still sending Power to Charge a USB Device. The available amperage is low, 2amps or less. I'm not aware of any Current Mining Hardware that can operate as a Stand Alone Miner with this power scheme.

Since most miners draw quite a bit more than that, I think that's a moot point. I've given up on doing this directly. I'll try it again as I have time through BIoS/Software instead.

It was more of an idea to see if there is a way to get a PC backup running if someone tells it to shut down more or less. The question with the Miner was just a bonus.

Go Big or Go Home.
hurricandave
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 26, 2015, 03:55:05 PM

A PSU with USB bypass power feature directed to a Raspi, with its own network connection and a skit to GPIO that mimics the momentary on/off switch from your front case could work for bringing up a PC that's in the Off state from a remote connection to your network.
This would be if you were trying to find an alternative to using the wake on LAN option provided by Windows.
SEGMining

Activity: 88
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2015, 01:00:36 AM

What you could try is setting your PC to hibernate/sleep instead of power off.  It will use minimal power at that point and is probably your best option.  Most real solutions will cost more than buying a second power supply for the miner.

SEGMINING Miner Co-Location in Vancouver, WA
$75/KW/Month with VPN access to your hardware
http://segmining.com
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: