Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 03:57:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin QT blockchain  (Read 2071 times)
yeponlyone

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 01:48:20 PM

There is a bit torrent with the blockchain if I rememeber right.
There is also someone in the market place selling USB drives with the blockchain pre loaded on.
That is a great idea, it is not smart to download all those 30 gigabyte everything you reinstall your computer.
Better to have the chain on a USB stick. Peace.

The torrent is useless now with Core 0.10 Smiley

And you don't have re-download the blockchain everytime you format your computer. Simply don't delete the blockchain folder... Put it in your storage partition, and just point Bitcoin Core there

Why is that? Is the torrent not compatible?

What part of the Bitcoin-core installation folder to you need to back up when reinstaling?
Is there a part of it that is the block chain, or can you just save it all, and put it back on the drive after you have reinstalled?
Thanks  Cool
Headers first synchronization now allows faster synchronization with parallel downloads of peers which allows faster download of Blockchain simultaneously. Torrent is basically the same speed or even slower since they need to do verification of the blockchain before downloading more. 0.10 is not backward compatible but I would assume its okay to download from torrent. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Slark
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 01:39:40 PM

Is there any other way to download the QT blockchain instead of waiting approx. 2 weeks while it downloads through the wallet program?

Sorry for dumb question...
One question, do you really have to use full node wallet like bitcoin qt (core)? If you need good wallet you may want to stick to some wallets with simplified validation instead. Like Electrum or Multibit, that way you won't need to download blockchain every time...
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2015, 08:32:49 PM

yeah there is

buy a evo ssd, it will sync the whole blockchain in 1 hour(tried it myself), and it's not expensive at all

For most of us the bottleneck is probably still the internet connection. Even slow mechanical disks can write >30MB/s on average[1], even a 100MBit/s connection will not deliver 30MB per second. In order to to sync within 1 hour you would indeed need a 100MBit/s connection and the disk should not have a big impact, since you would receive data at ~9MB/s, unless you use the disk for something heavy at the same time.

[1] http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/3.5-hard-drive-charts-2008/Average-WriteTransfer-Performance,659.html

well that's wierd because with my 850 pro i've synched the whole chain in 45 min, and i don't have 100mb, but only 8

At 8Mbit/s you would at max get 1 MB per second. In 45 minutes thats 45*60s*1MB/s = 45*60*1MB = 2700 MB. Maybe you just rescanned the blockchain or had an old existing bootstrap.dat still in the directory, but the numbers dont add up.

-snip-
Headers first synchronization now allows faster synchronization with parallel downloads of peers which allows faster download of Blockchain simultaneously. Torrent is basically the same speed or even slower since they need to do verification of the blockchain before downloading more. 0.10 is not backward compatible but I would assume its okay to download from torrent. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Using the torrent is fine, its probably slowing down the sync though. As you said you cant download and verify at the same time with the torrent, but you can when syncing with 0.10. directly. There might be some cases where you have problems finding enough good nodes though. If you allow no connections from the outside you are limited to 8 connections. If those 8 peers are connected with a cheap DSL home line with e.g. 2MBit/s upstream you will probably be better off with the torrent.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: