Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 12:40:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitseed - Run a full bitcoin node device!  (Read 5436 times)
hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 26, 2015, 06:18:37 PM

Supposing the blockchain is 30-ish GB; how many copies of the blockchain are in existence, and need to be in existance, in order to make sure the transactions in the block chain are secure?

I don't know. I personally think the current nodes are more than enough, but I don't have any basis for that claim.
You really think <7000 nodes is more than enough?

I don't.
The more, the better.
With a couple of million users we should see some more than just a couple of thousand full nodes.

Sad enough that there's only one single entity (that i know of), which is BitNodes, creating an incentive for people to run full-nodes.
Hopefully others will follow that example and create (donation supported) full node incentive lotteries like that.

iam pretty sure that this will happen.  Smiley
Eh I don't think so.

Anyone heavily involved financially in bitcoin would be brainlessly retarded to not run a full node.

yep.
Flep182
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 26, 2015, 09:50:16 PM

I have created a Full Bitcoin Node on the Raspberry pi 2 with a power usage of only 5 watts.
It is fully plug and play only thing you have to do is forward port 8333 in your router settings.
The node runs Bitcoin Core 0.10, a script will start bitcoind as soon as the device is powered up, hassle free node Smiley

My full Node includes:
Raspberry pi 2 in case (quad core 900mhz ARM7 with 1Gb of RAM)
64 GB micro SD card with Bitcoin Core 0.10 and the complete Blockchain on it (compiled on Raspbian weezy)
5v 2A power adapter

This node is for sale for 105€ excl shipping.

I will setup a order website soon, in the mean time PM me if you want a fast, open source Bitcoin Node with NO NSA backdoors Wink

Kind regards,
PB

Would you be ok releasing the ISO for that installation? Got 3 RPi's laying around after I powered down my gridseeds, could very well put one of them to good use Smiley
PsychoticBoy
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1010

Parental Advisory Explicit Content

View Profile
March 26, 2015, 10:03:08 PM

I have created a Full Bitcoin Node on the Raspberry pi 2 with a power usage of only 5 watts.
It is fully plug and play only thing you have to do is forward port 8333 in your router settings.
The node runs Bitcoin Core 0.10, a script will start bitcoind as soon as the device is powered up, hassle free node Smiley

My full Node includes:
Raspberry pi 2 in case (quad core 900mhz ARM7 with 1Gb of RAM)
64 GB micro SD card with Bitcoin Core 0.10 and the complete Blockchain on it (compiled on Raspbian weezy)
5v 2A power adapter

This node is for sale for 105€ excl shipping.

I will setup a order website soon, in the mean time PM me if you want a fast, open source Bitcoin Node with NO NSA backdoors Wink

Kind regards,
PB

Would you be ok releasing the ISO for that installation? Got 3 RPi's laying around after I powered down my gridseeds, could very well put one of them to good use Smiley

I can sell you the image for 15€ Smiley
oblivi

Activity: 700
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 26, 2015, 11:16:23 PM

Im gonna run a node the classic way (having Bitcoin-QT opened) as soon as my 16 GB of extra ram arrive. This should allow me to do anything I want while having my wallet synced 24/7.
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 11:09:04 AM

Ok I know zip about bitcoin nodes ...I do...with a raspberry B+ Pi laying about and the rest have enough to put up a bitcoin node..heck I can afford the
10 watts of electric...or I may simply buy one of these bitseed devices instead (more likely)

BUT

I was told by someone I think is more knowledgeable then myself that these nodes are MAJOR MAJOR bandwidth hogs....which if that is indeed the case
I will be shocked if it could effect performance on my Charter Biz line at 60mbps static ip setup..but have no idea....be dumb to get the device and it be a no go
cause it messes with home internet use or my miners

but I was assured that it would lag the works big big time.......and would be a pain in the a*s for my Internet home use for the odd once in awhile movie download ..eve update..
hulu or whatever

so is this the case? ...or with the above pipe I have enough not to worry about such with a 60mbps static ip setup that tests out below at:

Charter Speed Test

Last Result:
Download Speed: 64.6 Mbps (8.08 MB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 4.31 Mbps (0.54 MB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 16 ms
Jitter: 3 ms

Well hopefully such bandwidth hogging was a few years past and the above speeds etc are fine for a bitcoin node with my home use etc

But kinda need to get a realistic take on this before I jump into this idea

so whatcha think?

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
chek2fire
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1142

Intergalactic Conciliator

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 11:49:53 AM

Ok I know zip about bitcoin nodes ...I do...with a raspberry B+ Pi laying about and the rest have enough to put up a bitcoin node..heck I can afford the
10 watts of electric...or I may simply buy one of these bitseed devices instead (more likely)

BUT

I was told by someone I think is more knowledgeable then myself that these nodes are MAJOR MAJOR bandwidth hogs....which if that is indeed the case
I will be shocked if it could effect performance on my Charter Biz line at 60mbps static ip setup..but have no idea....be dumb to get the device and it be a no go

but I was assured that it would lag the works big big time.......and would be a pain in the a*s for my Internet home use for the odd once in awhile movie download ..eve update..
hulu or whatever

so is this the case? ...or with the above pipe I have enough not to worry about such with a 60mbps static ip setup that tests out below at:

Charter Speed Test

Last Result:

Well hopefully such bandwidth hogging was a few years past and the above speeds etc are fine for a bitcoin node with my home use etc

so whatcha think?

you can setup your node to accept a number of connections that can handle your bandwidth. In my case i have setup my home node to 30 connection and i dont have any problem with my bandwidth. My line is 30Mbps download and 4 upload

http://www.bitcoin-gr.org
4411 804B 0181 F444 ADBD 01D4 0664 00E4 37E7 228E
GingerAle
Legendary

Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2015, 11:50:20 AM

BUT

hulu or whatever

Charter Speed Test

Last Result:

so whatcha think?

I don't know who told you that. From my experience, when I was running a bitcoin node (~2 months ago), it was fine. I have 1 mb/s up, 3 mb/s down, and no lag / interference was noticeable on netflix etc. (also running a BTC miner, some XMR miners, and a XMR node) Once your node is synchronized its generally minimal. Its the first sync (if you sync from scratch) that can be the most intrusive. Once you are synced though the amount of data is relatively small.

To mitigate any possible interference with general home use, you can use QOS (quality of service) features on your router. Basically, you can tell your router that anything going to the bitcoind port should be limited to 400 kb/s up/down or whatever. And most routers have a feature that gives precedence to media streams - netflix etc.

Hooray manuals!

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 12:28:08 PM

BUT

hulu or whatever

Charter Speed Test

Last Result:

so whatcha think?

I don't know who told you that. From my experience, when I was running a bitcoin node (~2 months ago), it was fine. I have 1 mb/s up, 3 mb/s down, and no lag / interference was noticeable on netflix etc. (also running a BTC miner, some XMR miners, and a XMR node) Once your node is synchronized its generally minimal. Its the first sync (if you sync from scratch) that can be the most intrusive. Once you are synced though the amount of data is relatively small.

To mitigate any possible interference with general home use, you can use QOS (quality of service) features on your router. Basically, you can tell your router that anything going to the bitcoind port should be limited to 400 kb/s up/down or whatever. And most routers have a feature that gives precedence to media streams - netflix etc.

Hooray manuals!

well .....good to know....if i can get around to doing this in some manner will try it out...(or perhaps the owners of this thread can tell us their units here are configurable for this kinda thing...seems like something they could setup for setting it up as options)

if i get around in pursuing this i'll yell for help (or another project that never comes to pass) my life is full with imagined projects and dashed hopes

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
GingerAle
Legendary

Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2015, 12:34:43 PM

BUT

hulu or whatever

Charter Speed Test

Last Result:

so whatcha think?

Hooray manuals!

well .....good to know....if i can get around to doing this in some manner will try it out...(or perhaps the owners of this thread can tell us their units here are configurable for this kinda thing...seems like something they could setup for setting it up as options)

if i get around in pursuing this i'll yell for help (or another project that never comes to pass) my life is full with imagined projects and dashed hopes

yeah, these kind of projects are good for a night with a half a pizza and a case of beer. just write down the passwords you come up with if you have to come up with passwords Smiley

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
Jeremycoin
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003

𝓗𝓞𝓓𝓛

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 03:12:36 PM

Wow... an expensive BTCitcoin Wallet
How can I buy this?
I can't even buy a mining rig Sad

faucet used to be profitable
inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 05:56:54 PM

This is a great proposal but one concern has to do with the bandwidth usage that these full nodes will demand , especially when block sizes continue to increase. VPS nodes may start to become more prevalent than.

freemind1
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1014

View Profile
March 27, 2015, 10:23:46 PM

If it was cheaper to buy it one time but can not , someone would be willing to jointly purchase? Send me an PM, thanks.
doof

Activity: 765
Merit: 503

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2015, 11:38:33 PM

Dam it!  I've been working on a similar project, which i was calling the 10,000 node project.  www.10000nodes.com

Been interested in seeing how this product does.

Have you made an announcement on your own? So that I don't go off topic here.

No, Ive had some challenges.  I didn't want to announce until I was 100% sure I could ship.  I don't want to be another butterfly labs.
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 09:55:30 AM
Last edit: May 07, 2015, 10:08:53 AM by Searing

Dam it!  I've been working on a similar project, which i was calling the 10,000 node project.  www.10000nodes.com

Been interested in seeing how this product does.

Have you made an announcement on your own? So that I don't go off topic here.

No, Ive had some challenges.  I didn't want to announce until I was 100% sure I could ship.  I don't want to be another butterfly labs.

Well i just ordered one (#646) the v2 with the free upgrade to the 250gb drive..(on paypal via cc amex it is a pre-order which makes me nervous
also a BFL refugee

..so i hope i have no issues running this beastie as a full node with a 65 mbps charter cable modem and 2 knc titans mining on the side (650mh) or it will be a fast re-sell on ebay...

er I'm sure I'm fine...you can also tweak the v2 somewhat i gather as well....further details on what I'm getting into on this impulse buy here is appreciated Smiley

anyway any details on the above appreciated complete newbie in this area..just figured for 158 bucks including tax and shipping i could give something back to the
bitcoin network on my dime

now I'm off to 'attic mine' and sell 'old' stuff on ebay to pay for this bitseed node product....ie new stuff.....the circle of life er as for nerds anyway continues Smiley

https://bitseed.org/ main site

what i got for 158 usd w/tax and shipping and the upgrade (free) from 160gb to 250gb drive   https://bitseed.org/product/pre-order-bitseed-v2/

for those interested they also sometime will be offering altcoin node versions..i gather the first is for LTC.....so I may get one of those someday for LTC myself

stuff stuff..never can have enough stuff...

knight22 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
May 08, 2015, 03:52:23 AM

Thanks for the feedback. It's nice they're able to ship a first batch.

Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
May 08, 2015, 06:24:13 AM

anyone on this thread actually have one of the first v1 full node units?.....how is it working out?

knight22 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
May 08, 2015, 02:43:24 PM

anyone on this thread actually have one of the first v1 full node units?.....how is it working out?

I just found this on reddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3597wc/going_full_node/

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: