Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:52:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Auto Thread: Talk Cars or Trade Parts  (Read 3307 times)
tgmarks
Donator

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 11:52:33 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but the only difference I know of is the slightly better suspension in the FR-S.
I have a friend with a FR-S that has discussed the suspension, at length, with other BRZ/FR-S competitors.  The best description I've heard is that the FR-S and BRZ suspensions are close in overall handling, but the FR-S oversteers a bit easier, and the BRZ understeers easier.  The front/rear spring ratios are different between the two, but I don't recall the numbers.  Nobody seems to have a conclusion on which has better transitional handling.

I am pretty sure they are built in the same factory out of most of the same parts.  The whole drive train is identical.  The handling may be a tad different as they may have different factory settings, but your probably going to replace the suspension anyways and that slight difference will be thrown out then anyways.

And, yes, miata's are fun and usually piss off a handleful of much bigger/more expensive car owners at all the autocrosses.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bimmerhead
Legendary

Activity: 1291
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 12:58:36 AM

@RustyRyan

I like the older European stuff.  My current bunch are a 1990 Merc 500SL, a 1991 300E and a 1992 Alpina Biturbo.  The last one is coming out of the (mechanic's) garage hopefully this week.  I've been waiting months to drive it.

Have you considered a Porsche 944 S2 or Turbo S?  Fantastic handling, terrific acceleration and at least in the S2 fairly affordable to keep on the road.  They've probably hit the bottom of their depreciation curve and are starting up the other side.  You should be able to get into a decent one for well under $10K. 
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 02:22:38 AM

I completely acknowledge the efficiency of Miatas, I'm just one of those people that can't get over the look heheh.
Fair enough, I understand entirely.  I have a turbocharged one, and I just love the look on people's faces when they get schooled by a girl's car, in a straight line OR in the corners.  It's priceless.  Smiley  I do wish they'd put a much more aggressive look on the things though, something more along the lines of the BRZ.
nolo200

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 06:48:16 PM

BMW e30 FTW!
Tomatocage
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1222

brb keeping up with the Kardashians

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 09:25:35 PM

BMW e30 FTW!
I'm trying to decide between a DC2 Integra Type-R, or a nice condition E30 M3.

Recommended Exchanges: Binance.com | CelsiusNetwork
GPG ID: 4880D85C | 1% Escrow | 8% IPO/ICO Escrow services Temporarily Closed | Bitcointalk is the ONLY place where I use this name (No Skype/IRC/YIM/AIM/etc) | 13CsmTqGNwvFXb7tD9yFvJcEYCDTB8wQTS | Beware of these SCAM sites! | *Sponsored Link
tgmarks
Donator

Activity: 490

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 09:40:59 PM

BMW e30 FTW!

E30!  Those are way different machines.

PatrickHarnett

Activity: 518

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 09:43:50 PM

BMW e30 FTW!

At the cheap end I have an E46 in the drive.  (318ti 2000 model - basic, and fun to hack around in)
Tomatocage
Legendary

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 09:54:09 PM

BMW e30 FTW!

E30!  Those are way different machines.

Both are just plain awesome platforms. I just hope Bitcoin takes off so I can get both Tongue

GPG ID: 4880D85C | 1% Escrow | 8% IPO/ICO Escrow services Temporarily Closed | Bitcointalk is the ONLY place where I use this name (No Skype/IRC/YIM/AIM/etc) | 13CsmTqGNwvFXb7tD9yFvJcEYCDTB8wQTS | Beware of these SCAM sites! | *Sponsored Link
BitBlitz

Activity: 285
Merit: 250

Turning money into heat since 2011.

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 10:09:50 PM

I don't know where you live, but ITRs tend to be near the top of the "most frequently stolen cars" list-- and the insurance rates are jacked accordingly..
Besides, I've driven my share of wrong-wheel drive cars on track, and I wouldn't want that for frequent track use.

I see the value of Bitcoin, so I don't worry about the price...
Tomatocage
Legendary

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 10:23:34 PM

I don't know where you live, but ITRs tend to be near the top of the "most frequently stolen cars" list-- and the insurance rates are jacked accordingly..
Besides, I've driven my share of wrong-wheel drive cars on track, and I wouldn't want that for frequent track use.

Both would be just for collecting, not tracking.  A clean low mileage ITR already fetches what it did when it was new, as does a the M3.  It won't be much longer before prices for either will be out of reach Cry

RustyRyan (OP)

Activity: 86

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 05:38:30 AM

BMW e30 FTW!

E30!  Those are way different machines.

Both are just plain awesome platforms. I just hope Bitcoin takes off so I can get both Tongue

I like the taste in here, E30s definitely a nice machine. Although for myself currently, I'll stick to some others.

"True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing."
  Bitcoin-otcPGP Key
  RustyRyan's Deposits - Low Risk Weekly Term Deposits at 3.0% Interest.
Gomeler

Activity: 697

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 05:56:11 AM

I'm going to assume you are in the United States.

If you have a garage and some spare monthly income for parts then the S14 is a great option. You should be able to pick up a decent one(they are all going to be beat to hell) for a few thousand dollars. Then you'll proceed to strip it down and rebuild it with fresh parts. The SR-20 motor swap, rear axle/LSD swap out of the J30, and the 300ZX TT brake swap are just a few of the things you'll want to do.

In the end the S14 is a cheap econobox with a ton of performance parts swapped in to it. It is going to creak. It is going to rattle. However, if treated properly it is going to be stupid fast. Depending where you live there might still be an active 240sx tuning community. It is definitely a dying platform though as the few remaining 240s are wrapped around poles and slammed in to walls.

The Mazda Miata is similar to the S14 with a huge community and a gigantic parts list available. Don't let the stigma of it being a "girly" car fool you. Mazda has put a ton of research in to making it one of the best handling cars on the planet. All it needs is 200-250whp and it's a go-kart.
Yeah I'm eventually planning on putting some decent money into whichever car since most will at least need some tlc. You speaking from experience of owning one?

I completely acknowledge the efficiency of Miatas, I'm just one of those people that can't get over the look heheh.

I never personally owned a S13/S14. I did help wrench on a few and saw the troubles associated with a budget platform being stressed to its limits. They're fun cars but they'll piss you off right quick initially. All the issues that can crop up in the SR20 swap alone could turn you off from the platform.

I am excited for the recently released Subaru BR-Z.  I think it has the potential to become a very popular modder and with huge part availability.  Although, brand new it is about double what you were trying to stay under.  I am betting Subaru releases a STI version next year also.

I'm eagerly watching to possibly buy a little brother for my STI but all the rumors are saying the BRZ STI will just have upgraded suspension and a retune. Then again there is the new turbo 2.0L from the jdm Legacy GT that Subaru is putting out.. maybe that will make its way in to the BRZ. All else fails I'm sure in a few months we'll have some EJ257 swaps in to the BRZ making stupid power. Or I suppose a frankenmotor using the stock FA20.
RandomQ

Activity: 826

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 06:06:08 AM

Well I have to add a few things to this thread.

I've had a 91 300Z TT ,03 G35, 85 944

The 300zx twin turbo is a great car, it has stock 300 or 280hp depending on the model.
Its great for freeway racing, once your turbo spool up your gone!
But if you have to turn thats when it really shows that the handling isn't great.
300hp to 400Hp, is very easy on a stock car, exhaust system, boost controller,intake
Bad side, the fuel injectors that came stock do not handle ethanol very well and fall apart.
This car because of the age is going to cost alot more to mantain, expect a min of 2k per year.
I blew the engine in my TT going ~130 mph, threw a bearing.
Thing is a pain in the ass to work on!!

The 944 is a great handling car, mine was a non-turbo.
If you like to drive hilly roads or take turns fast this is a great car.
Your going to need a turbo to go over 120 in this car.
This car is really FUN to work on, its so easy to change parts and work on the engine.
Parts are pretty cheap because it shares parts with the 928.

The G35 is a fun little toy, if you don't need 400+ HP.
Its electronically limited @ 155 MPH, I've only been able to get mine up to 142MPH(stock)
Mods on this engine don't produce huge gains, if you put an intake your lucky to get 5 HP.
Has pretty good brakes, if you put good pads and cross drills you never have brake fade.
If someone taps your bumper @ 5mph the repair cost run around 2k. I've had 3 people back into my car! both the front and back bumper!
headlight are a Pain in the ass to keep clean, because they haze over.
Traction control on this Car seems to work great compared with other cars, Its almost a game to see how many times you can set it off lol

RustyRyan (OP)

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 07:13:25 AM

Well I have to add a few things to this thread.

I've had a 91 300Z TT ,03 G35, 85 944

The 300zx twin turbo is a great car, it has stock 300 or 280hp depending on the model.
Its great for freeway racing, once your turbo spool up your gone!
But if you have to turn thats when it really shows that the handling isn't great.
300hp to 400Hp, is very easy on a stock car, exhaust system, boost controller,intake
Bad side, the fuel injectors that came stock do not handle ethanol very well and fall apart.
This car because of the age is going to cost alot more to mantain, expect a min of 2k per year.
I blew the engine in my TT going ~130 mph, threw a bearing.
Thing is a pain in the ass to work on!!

The 944 is a great handling car, mine was a non-turbo.
If you like to drive hilly roads or take turns fast this is a great car.
Your going to need a turbo to go over 120 in this car.
This car is really FUN to work on, its so easy to change parts and work on the engine.
Parts are pretty cheap because it shares parts with the 928.

Its electronically limited @ 155 MPH, I've only been able to get mine up to 142MPH(stock)
Mods on this engine don't produce huge gains, if you put an intake your lucky to get 5 HP.
Has pretty good brakes, if you put good pads and cross drills you never have brake fade.
If someone taps your bumper @ 5mph the repair cost run around 2k. I've had 3 people back into my car! both the front and back bumper!
Traction control on this Car seems to work great compared with other cars, Its almost a game to see how many times you can set it off lol

Huh, didn't know the handling issues with the Z were this common. Yeah I'm afraid of blowing the engine on a TT model I pick up after this many years. Yeah, almost all 300zx's I've seen have fuel injector problems. I think I've heard of weird a/c issues also because of some unique system this model uses? Don't really know, have you had any issues with that? I know what you mean, the amount of room you have to work with under the hood is tight to say the least.

Yup, the power is what I'm debating because I like the look of the G35 and some other weaker cars. Your G35 chipped? I ask because you say its locked at 155. Sorry to hear about the banged up bumpers heheh.

Bitcoin-otcPGP Key
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 07:26:05 AM

The G35 I raced didn't appreciate being smoked by a Miata.  Wink
RustyRyan (OP)

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 02:16:20 AM

@SgtSpike

This must be you with the 900hp 9 second Miata huh? Heheh seriously though the guy makes a nice save.

Bitcoin-otcPGP Key
Bimmerhead
Legendary

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 03:25:15 AM

@SgtSpike

This must be you with the 900hp 9 second Miata huh? Heheh seriously though the guy makes a nice save.

Whoa!  I'll bet there was some tobacco in his shorts after that!
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 04:44:00 AM

@SgtSpike

Haha, no, I wish!  Well, in some ways, haha.
RustyRyan (OP)

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 12:01:47 PM

Has anyone here had any experience with importing a car from, say, Japan?

Bitcoin-otcPGP Key
Bimmerhead
Legendary

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 12:26:07 PM

Has anyone here had any experience with importing a car from, say, Japan?

Yes, I've bought my last four from Japan.  It's straightforward if you live in Canada.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: