Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:43:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Officially, I quit my day job. Anyone else hate their job/boss?  (Read 2820 times)
Electricbees (OP)

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

We are bees, and we hate you.

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 02:09:27 PM

Put in my notice today, and it feels great! It's been a long time coming...

I took a job at a local ice-cream shop 3 years ago to pay bills/save for whatever.

Job was fun, for a while. Boss quit, new boss came in, didn't like new boss as much as old boss....

Never got a raise, got promoted to a position that pays better, only when I work nights.
(I never got scheduled to work nights. Surprise?)

MINIMUM MINIMUM MINIMUM wage, and it never ended.

And, here I am, quitting, and sticking it to the man. Feels good.

Anyone else doing this/Done this/Hate their shitty job?

Bitcoin? Haha. Smiley

Disclaimer: Not thinking straight with so little sleep. Don't care. Discuss.

Donations are welcome!
1BEES19ds5gEnRBoU1qNFPfjRXe94trMG3

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 12:10:43 AM

Find a job you love to do and do it well.

My job is in I.T. and I love it.

Work is play.

Bitcoin is just icing on the cake because I enjoy economics/trading/and all the technical aspects of bitcoin.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

check_status

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Web Dev, Db Admin, Computer Technician

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 12:41:44 AM

Welcome to the 23% club.

For Bitcoin to be a true global currency the value of BTC needs always to rise.
If BTC became the global currency & money supply = 100 Trillion then ⊅1.00 BTC = $4,761,904.76.
P2Pool Server List | How To's and Guides Mega List |  1EndfedSryGUZK9sPrdvxHntYzv2EBexGA
juggalodarkclow
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 02:10:56 AM

I was a cook at a local diner. I had a group of 20+ come in for lunch without any warning. The owner/manager seemed to have a bad concept of time because 15 minutes after they placed their order she comes back to the kitchen, freaking out, saying they've been waiting over 45 minutes for their food. I told her she was full of shit so she decided to jump on the grill and push me out of the way. Now I've been cooking in restaurants much busier than this one for over 10 years but you never ever ever ever ever push the cook out of the way and insult his work. I threw my apron on the floor and yelled as loud as possible "FUCK THIS SHIT, I'M OUT!!!!" and slammed the door on the way out. I later found out all the customers were like WTF?!?! and she ruined all their lunches. It was the most dramatic exit I've ever made from a job.

myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2012, 02:22:02 AM

I was a cook at a local diner. I had a group of 20+ come in for lunch without any warning. The owner/manager seemed to have a bad concept of time because 15 minutes after they placed their order she comes back to the kitchen, freaking out, saying they've been waiting over 45 minutes for their food. I told her she was full of shit so she decided to jump on the grill and push me out of the way. Now I've been cooking in restaurants much busier than this one for over 10 years but you never ever ever ever ever push the cook out of the way and insult his work. I threw my apron on the floor and yelled as loud as possible "FUCK THIS SHIT, I'M OUT!!!!" and slammed the door on the way out. I later found out all the customers were like WTF?!?! and she ruined all their lunches. It was the most dramatic exit I've ever made from a job.

Well done! Mine is almost as good. I was working drivethrough, got fed up, and tossed the headset into the box of fries. 3 weeks later, they asked me to come back.  Grin

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
bombshelterzero

Activity: 106
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 12:51:24 AM

jobs are for the weak. cant tell the last time i worked a solid 9-5... but i live rent free so its not as strenuous lol
amencon

Activity: 410

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 01:10:43 AM

I've worked and quit at a ton of those jobs, congrats on putting another one behind you.  Currently I work in IT and have an awesome boss and I like it almost as much as I could like anything where I had to show up everyday at 6:30am.
mufa23
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 06:42:30 AM

Never got a raise
Because they won't give you a raise unless you ask for it. Last job, I got these stupid penny raises (Part-time job). $0.17, and dumb shit like that.

At my current job (after working there 8 months. Should have asked after 6 months) I told my boss I'd like to talk to him in private. I then ask for a raise, he immediately said he'd give me a 20% raise before I asked for 10-15%. As long as you are outperforming your original work since you first started, you are worthy a raise.

"Is not the laborer worthy of his wages?"

Positive rep with: pekv2, AzN1337c0d3r, Vince Torres, underworld07, Chimsley, omegaaf, Bogart, Gleason, SuperTramp, John K. and guitarplinker
Electricbees (OP)

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 06:47:54 AM

Never got a raise
Because they won't give you a raise unless you ask for it. Last job, I got these stupid penny raises (Part-time job). $0.17, and dumb shit like that.

At my current job (after working there 8 months. Should have asked after 6 months) I told my boss I'd like to talk to him in private. I then ask for a raise, he immediately said he'd give me a 20% raise before I asked for 10-15%. As long as you are outperforming your original work since you first started, you are worthy a raise.

Ahaha, everyone has told me that I should have asked. I got promoted to a position that paid $9.75 hourly, but never got to work in the situation where I actually earn that. (Shift Managing)
General manager was a gigantic douche and scheduled me for non shifty shifts. So, that escalated into quitting.

TL;DR     I know. Should've asked.

Donations are welcome!
mufa23
Legendary

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 06:51:49 AM

Never got a raise

Ahaha, everyone has told me that I should have asked. I got promoted to a position that paid $9.75 hourly, but never got to work in the situation where I actually earn that. (Shift Managing)
General manager was a gigantic douche and scheduled me for non shifty shifts. So, that escalated into quitting.

TL;DR     I know. Should've asked.
Super market?

Positive rep with: pekv2, AzN1337c0d3r, Vince Torres, underworld07, Chimsley, omegaaf, Bogart, Gleason, SuperTramp, John K. and guitarplinker
Electricbees (OP)

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 07:32:35 PM

Super market?

No, service. Food service. Picture your favorite fast food, except it's not fast food.

Working at a supermarket would have been much more tolerable in my opinion.

Donations are welcome!
Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 10:21:14 PM

Man got balls.

Let me see:

1. Told manager at a business I'd had enough with his stupid rules and lack of decent pay, and said 'I quit', and then I went off.
2. Worked two jobs once, and had to stay in the first a while after having started in the second. Was tired, and ignored a request for a weekend on the first job. Was sacked the following monday from the first job.
3. Worked for a lady that was really sexist and more like a millitary seargent than anything else. Constantly picked on me for minor things. I could do 200 things right, then 1 wrong, and immediately get called to her office for a 'stern' talking. Never got positive feedback for the 99% good stuff I did, only complaints for the 1% negative stuff, which often wasn't that negative in my mind. I told to her face, exactly what all employees said about her behind her back, then I left and didn't come back. Lots of regular customers called me and asked me what was up. No wonder the place had a high turnover.

Bottom line, value your employees, and they want to do their best. Threat them like shit, and expect those with a spine to strike back at you. I understand some people need the money and so on. But in the long run it is not worth it, your self confidence will be suffering, and also your self worth.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2012, 11:25:55 PM

A couple decades ago, I was working as a waiter at a restaurant that just went through a lawsuit for being racist. One day this couple came in and I proceeded to seat them. Every table in the restaurant was cleaned and set properly with the exception of one. I passed them by that table and offered them one of the clean ones. They requested to sit at the dirty table. I asked, "This one?" They replied in the affirmative, whereupon I took by arm and placed in on the table using it as a shovel to clear the table of its mess unto the floor, then said to them, "There you go, folks!" At that point, they started to scream that I was a racist, and it was at this point that I realized they were Afro-Americans. During the fuss, I told the manager to deal with it, and left.

A quick back story: Prior to those guests entering the restaurant, there was a bit of snafu that weighed heavily on my mind that probably contributed to my actions.

~Bruno~
myrkul

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2012, 11:31:42 PM

I took a job at a local ice-cream shop 3 years ago to pay bills/save for whatever.

Super market?

Really?

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
mobile4ever

Activity: 546

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 12:17:37 AM

jobs are for the weak. cant tell the last time i worked a solid 9-5... but i live rent free so its not as strenuous lol

Good for you! The land of the free and the brave needs more of you.

I work for myself and am also starting a mobile marketing plan for local businesses.
Explodicle

Activity: 950

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 01:04:49 AM

I normally enjoy engineering, it can be very fun/interesting/rewarding. But my employers recently put me on a bullshit project where I manually time how long it takes ANOTHER guy to do manual labor. Since I have ADHD, going from autonomy and producing results to... this... has been excruciating in a way that is difficult for me to describe. I'd rather be the guy doing the manual labor if I could keep my paycheck.

It actually coincided with the current rally, so I've found myself entertaining "I quit" fantasies similar to what you guys describe. C'mon $1000/BTC! Cheesy
mufa23
Legendary

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 04:09:12 AM

Super market?

Really?
Whoops! I hate it when people do that. But in my defense, I was drinking a little too much last night. Actually, way too much...

]
It has it's up's and down's. I worked front end for two years. You got to keep in mind that every needs to eat, so you will have to deal with every type of person.

I once had this stupid bimbo walk up to my counter, rang up her food, then she starts incoherently bitching at me. "What's wrong ma'am?" "THIS THING! IT DOESN"T FUCKING WORK" "Well, hold on, let me see". I proceed to check the Creditcard PIN machine. She cuts me off right before I tell her that it seems to be in perfect working condition. "IT WAAYYY TO DIM! HOW THE FUCK ARE CUSTOMERS SUPPOSE TO SEE IT IF IT"S NOT BRIGHT ENOUGH?!". (I chuckle a little on the inside) "I am very sorry, ma'am. I'll have maintenance check on it right away". She finishes paying, then leaves. I turn around to my manager, he's already facepalming and laughing his ass off. The chick was wearing sunglasses.

Don't work in a super market.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2012, 04:29:42 AM

Super market?

Really?
Whoops! I hate it when people do that. But in my defense, I was drinking a little too much last night. Actually, way too much...

All is forgiven, then. Booze is one of the universal excuses.

It has it's up's and down's. I worked front end for two years. You got to keep in mind that every needs to eat, so you will have to deal with every type of person.

I once had this stupid bimbo walk up to my counter, rang up her food, then she starts incoherently bitching at me. "What's wrong ma'am?" "THIS THING! IT DOESN"T FUCKING WORK" "Well, hold on, let me see". I proceed to check the Creditcard PIN machine. She cuts me off right before I tell her that it seems to be in perfect working condition. "IT WAAYYY TO DIM! HOW THE FUCK ARE CUSTOMERS SUPPOSE TO SEE IT IF IT"S NOT BRIGHT ENOUGH?!". (I chuckle a little on the inside) "I am very sorry, ma'am. I'll have maintenance check on it right away". She finishes paying, then leaves. I turn around to my manager, he's already facepalming and laughing his ass off. The chick was wearing sunglasses.

Oh, the stories I could tell.... That one's a good one, though.

Electricbees (OP)

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 06:48:11 AM

Super market?

Really?

]

That was just the thing.. We got shit customers like that too. We dip cones, and people would ask to mix flavors. We'd explain that it contaminates one flavor with another, and can't do it. On more than one occasion, customers would throw anything we made away, and demand it be remade. "I THREW IT OUT BECAUSE YOU DID A SHIT JOB. MAKE IT GOOD THIS TIME."
Beverages have been thrown on our windows, we've been robbed, and all the while, our boss who simply owns the building refuses to let us managers work with a full crew because he's a cheap bastard...

Whoops.

Donations are welcome!
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2012, 03:07:09 AM

Having low stress and being able to drop off and pick up my kids from school is worth the low pay of my current job. Plus my wife earns a shitload as a manager in her job which more than covers the bills. I quit my last job by backing the truck into a bulldozer  Cheesy

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: