Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 05:10:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can bitcoins break $5,000 in 20 years?  (Read 11845 times)
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 01:50:30 PM

I just bought a 1.5Tbyte drive for $75..

think its big enuf for the future blockchain??

Assuming the block size limit isn't raised, it will take 57 years before the blockchain overflows that drive.
I doubt this assumption is accurate. With projected Bitcoin growth, we'd see closer to a drive that big every seven blocks in 57 years.

Calculations:

In 57 years Bitcoin will be the only form of currency on Earth. The population of Earth is projected to be nine billion. The average person performs 100 transactions a month. That is around 0.0231 transactions per person per block. In total, that is 208 million transactions per block. The average transaction size is around 1 KB. Therefore, there will be 208 GB on average per block in 57 years.

Yes, but as you clearly demonstrated, if you reject that assumption you have to make even more assumptions that have no reliable basis and you end up with mere speculation.
The assumptions I made were mostly lower bounds. A block is probably going to be larger than 1 TB on average in 57 years, once considering coin splitting, larger transaction sizes, and whatever other stuff gets stored onto the blockchain. Buying a 1.5 TB disk isn't going to store two blocks in the future blockchain.

Luckily, Moore's Law tells us we'll have hard disks 200 ZB (zettabytes) in size by then.

Emphasis added.  That's quite optimistic.  Most of my assets (other than my house) are currently in bitcoin or related businesses, but even I have a hard time accepting "only currency on earth" in only 57 years as a lower bound.
It's likely Bitcoin will also be the only currency on the Moon, and it's quite possible (although not certain) it will also be on Mars. Unless Bitcoin somehow fails, I think it's 99.9% certain that Bitcoin will control all but some niches of the world's currency usage in 57 years.
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 02:22:53 PM

I think this image will be closer. It's the WWW adoption rate in terms of users.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
bb113

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 02:37:15 PM

Assuming the block size limit isn't raised, it will take 57 years before the blockchain overflows that drive.
I doubt this assumption is accurate. With projected Bitcoin growth, we'd see closer to a drive that big every seven blocks in 57 years.

Calculations:

In 57 years Bitcoin will be the only form of currency on Earth. The population of Earth is projected to be nine billion. The average person performs 100 transactions a month. That is around 0.0231 transactions per person per block. In total, that is 208 million transactions per block. The average transaction size is around 1 KB. Therefore, there will be 208 GB on average per block in 57 years.

Yes, but as you clearly demonstrated, if you reject that assumption you have to make even more assumptions that have no reliable basis and you end up with mere speculation.
The assumptions I made were mostly lower bounds. A block is probably going to be larger than 1 TB on average in 57 years, once considering coin splitting, larger transaction sizes, and whatever other stuff gets stored onto the blockchain. Buying a 1.5 TB disk isn't going to store two blocks in the future blockchain.

Luckily, Moore's Law tells us we'll have hard disks 200 ZB (zettabytes) in size by then.

Emphasis added.  That's quite optimistic.  Most of my assets (other than my house) are currently in bitcoin or related businesses, but even I have a hard time accepting "only currency on earth" in only 57 years as a lower bound.
It's likely Bitcoin will also be the only currency on the Moon, and it's quite possible (although not certain) it will also be on Mars. Unless Bitcoin somehow fails, I think it's 99.9% certain that Bitcoin will control all but some niches of the world's currency usage in 57 years.

You have it in reverse. Within 57 months bitcoin will be the only currency on mars. Earth will take longer to adopt it due to the lower robot/human ratio.
dree12
Legendary

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 02:48:36 PM

Calculations:

You have it in reverse. Within 57 months bitcoin will be the only currency on mars. Earth will take longer to adopt it due to the lower robot/human ratio.
The latency between Earth and Mars would make transactions take forever to confirm on Mars, assuming Earth is where the mining is located. If a solution to this isn't found, then it's entirely possible that Marscoin would develop on Mars instead of Bitcoin.

The latency between the Moon and Earth is small enough that a few centralized Earth-Moon transit nodes is sufficient for rapid communication. Mining is even possible on the Moon if only one communication is made.
Atheros

Activity: 249
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2012, 03:59:39 PM

Everyone on Mars would just use MarsBankAlpha and MarsBankBeta who would occasionally send a Bitcoin transaction to the Earth blockchain to rebalance. The Earth banks will do the same thing.

BM-GteJMPqvHRUdUHHa1u7dtYnfDaH5ogeY
Bitmessage.org - Decentralized, trustless, encrypted, authenticated messaging protocol and client.
mp420

Activity: 501
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 07:38:47 PM

It might break $5,000 in 20 years, but the scalability issues must be tackled first.

Also, USD might tank enough that $5000 isn't exactly a lot of money in 20 years.

But the thing is, as of now bitcoins are only useful as a very risky (but potentially high-reward) speculative investment and a payment method for small-scale illegal markets.

In 20 years that might be different. Actually, even the end-user level drug markets are big enough worldwide to support a much higher price than BTC's value today. Of course in F2F transactions cash is much easier, but mail order with an escrow service is something that wasn't really available to drug users before Bitcoin.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 07:50:33 PM

Reading this thread one might be tempted to believe that the future can be predicted, which it cannot.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
dree12
Legendary

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 07:53:46 PM

Reading this thread one might be tempted to believe that the future can be predicted, which it cannot.
Of course the future can be predicted. The sun will rise tomorrow where I live. There will be a solar eclipse on April 8, 2024.

Unfortunately, predictions for Bitcoin's future are less obvious and certain.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 08:01:17 PM

Of course the future can be predicted. The sun will rise tomorrow where I live. There will be a solar eclipse on April 8, 2024.

Unfortunately, predictions for Bitcoin's future are less obvious and certain.
Holly crap, he's right. dree12 can control the cosmos!!   Cheesy
Is there a wiki page showing future prices?  Embarrassed

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
goxed
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006

Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 01:50:54 AM

I dont' think Moore's law works on Hard drives, but it may be true for Solid State Drives.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Kryder

Revewing Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 03:03:33 AM

I dont' think Moore's law works on Hard drives, but it may be true for Solid State Drives.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Kryder

No, but Kryder's Law shows Moore's law is a reasonable lower bound.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
bitcon
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1008

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 07:54:45 PM

didnt they just recently add a marker to the blockchain at 158333 or something like that so it DL's faster.   i've noticed the blockchain downloads a lot faster than it used to from a fresh install of the client.   plus years from now HDD and bandwidth will be better than what it is now....
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 02:01:53 AM

This thread is dumb. In 20 years the dollar will likely be inflated into oblivion that we are no longer using the current dollars we use today.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2012, 03:06:22 AM

One thing we can safely assume is that the dollar won't be worth $5000 in 20 years.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 05:09:16 AM

Impossible to know. All life could be extinct on this planet in 20 years.
Yuhfhrh

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 05:16:27 AM

Impossible to know. All life could be extinct on this planet in 20 years.

I'll 1 up you.

The answer is yes. Bitcoins CAN break $5,000 in 20 years.
Realpra

Activity: 815
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 02:28:30 PM

Well if it keeps doubling every year we will get there in 8-9 years.

However for this to happen the big problems have to be solved:
1. Paying with and receiving BTC needs to be dirt cheap and simple.
2. The BTC network has to be able to take the growth without fees rising much.

Multiple bitcoin card projects are in the works so #1 will likely be covered in a year or sooner with costs falling after that and options multiplying.

#2 is harder but also less critical. We probably have ~4 years before it will impair growth. Swarm algorithms should be under development or developed if we get that far by then.

Keep in mind that BTC can grow in many ways:
 - Amount of people.
 - What they use it for.
 - The amounts they use it for.

This means the fast growth phase could be sustained for much longer than that of say Facebook.

Cheap and sexy Bitcoin card/hardware wallet, buy here:
http://BlochsTech.com
Oinsane1

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 05:36:02 AM

the only thing that can prevent BTC from getting to 5000 is the competition o new and improved blockchains
HeavyMetal

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 12:06:24 AM

Yes, but $5000 will only be enough to buy a burger and a beer.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 02:47:03 AM

Yes, but $5000 will only be enough to buy a burger and a beer.

Nice.  Ok how about can bitcoin break 1 oz of gold in 20 years?
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: