Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 10:11:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can bitcoins break $5,000 in 20 years?  (Read 11845 times)
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 08:44:45 PM

Aha, very well, your SAE is actually a bit more than a dollar, and I will admit to being pedantic.

I am interested to know how you think the current debt load is going to be repaid?

Painfully obvious inflation mostly, obscured slightly by bogus statistics.  The usual.  Remember that the debt in question is denominated in a currency that we can print at will (and have!).  The repayment amount isn't a fixed value, but a fixed quantity.

Who would buy or hold a debt like that?  Turns out that everyone does, because the alternatives are mostly worse.  That may change in the next 20 years, maybe it will even be Bitcoin that brings the system down.  But those are both long shots.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
labestiol

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 08:47:52 PM

I would be amazed if the dollar doesn't still exist in 20 years.  As fucked up as our financial and economic systems are, it turns out that pretty much the whole rest of the world is even more fucked up.  China thinks so too.  They keep buying our debt because it is the best place to park their export earnings.  If they didn't think so, they would FOREX their USD away as they came in.

YoY their US treasuries holding was down 10% as of June 2012

http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/data-chart-center/tic/Documents/mfh.txt

1BestioLC7YBVh8Q5LfH6RYURD6MrpP8y6
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3164
Merit: 4345

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 08:57:37 PM

Painfully obvious inflation mostly, obscured slightly by bogus statistics.  The usual.  Remember that the debt in question is denominated in a currency that we can print at will (and have!).  The repayment amount isn't a fixed value, but a fixed quantity.

Who would buy or hold a debt like that?  Turns out that everyone does, because the alternatives are mostly worse.  That may change in the next 20 years, maybe it will even be Bitcoin that brings the system down.  But those are both long shots.

The alternatives are mostly worse...for now.

I see other world powers losing patience with the fed's monopoly on, and inevitable devaluation of their holdings.  Being "the best looking horse at the glue factory" is no way to run a world reserve currency.  Already China, India, Russia and others are making noises about some "basket of commodities" system.  Once the rush to get out begins I just don't see how the dollar survives.

This is curious; we seem to largely agree on the facts of the matter but have come to diametrically opposed conclusions.

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
kjj
Legendary

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 10:20:55 PM

I see other world powers losing patience with the fed's monopoly on, and inevitable devaluation of their holdings.  Being "the best looking horse at the glue factory" is no way to run a world reserve currency.  Already China, India, Russia and others are making noises about some "basket of commodities" system.  Once the rush to get out begins I just don't see how the dollar survives.

This is curious; we seem to largely agree on the facts of the matter but have come to diametrically opposed conclusions.

Except that being the world's reserve currency isn't a gift, it is a burden.  A huge fucking burden.  The price that the USA has paid over the last 40 or 50 years to support, build and rebuild the world is mind boggling.

I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
alexanderanon

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 10:46:15 PM

Look guys, the only way bitcoin won't one day (soon) hit a market cap of $100 billion ($5000/ea), is if it completely fails. I can't see a middle of the road option here. But then, if it does fail, would that be so bad? I am fairly confident bitcoin will succeed --- I am unquestionably confident that digital, peer-to-peer currency will succeed. And who better to find the one, true "bitcoin perfected" if satoshi's bitcoin fails than the original bitcoin community? What community on earth knows more about peer to peer technology applied to currency than we do? If we must jump ship on bitcoin because of something catastrophic, who could better locate a superior vessel than we, the originals?
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 10:58:51 PM

Except that being the world's reserve currency isn't a gift, it is a burden.  A huge fucking burden.  The price that the USA has paid over the last 40 or 50 years to support, build and rebuild the world is mind boggling.
Only in flawed economic thinking is it a burden. The Triffin dilemma is based on one of the greatest misconceptions in modern-day economics: "a trade deficit is bad".

The USA has been a hungry importer, receiving a huge influx of useful goods, lasting commodities, and safe securities in exchange for its depreciating, produced-on-demand USD, all because it owns the world's reserve currency.
Aggro
Donator

Activity: 296
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 11:00:27 PM

http://www.shamoon.me/post/29347988378/bitcoins-to-break-5-000-btc-in-20-years - based on this post, it seems economically sound to predict that the price will break $5,000 in 20 years. What do you think?

The real question is: Would there be $ in 20 years? Smiley
jojo69
Legendary

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 11:01:59 PM

Only in flawed economic thinking is it a burden. The Triffin dilemma is based on one of the greatest misconceptions in modern-day economics: "a trade deficit is bad".

The USA has been a hungry importer, receiving a huge influx of useful goods, lasting commodities, and safe securities in exchange for its depreciating, produced-on-demand USD, all because it owns the world's reserve currency.

further, all oil transactions occurring in USD is a HUGE boon to the US banking industry

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
labestiol

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 11:27:18 PM

Agree. De Gaulle was expressing it in 1965, at the time France was exchanging most of his dollars for gold

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j58gikUjyIo

1BestioLC7YBVh8Q5LfH6RYURD6MrpP8y6
kjj
Legendary

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 11:28:13 PM

There is no such thing as a trade deficit, not really.  In the long run, there is always balance.  As the dollars flowed out, our capital, our saved production, our means of future production, flowed out with them.  We didn't rebuild Europe and Asia after the war with tricky accounting, we poured out our sweat and blood, because no one else would.

In a hundred years, or two hundred, future historians will note the last several decades as the era when the United States impoverished itself to catapult the rest of the world into the modern age.

further, all oil transactions occurring in USD is a HUGE boon to the US banking industry

I see this one a lot.  Sadly, it is really silly.  The unit of account for oil sales is meaningless.  In what way do you imagine that it helps the banks?  Do you think that oil purchasers are able to buy dollars through FOREX when they want to buy oil, but oil producers are unable to sell them when they want to buy something else?

kjj
Legendary

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 11:48:45 PM

Agree. De Gaulle was expressing it in 1965, at the time France was exchanging most of his dollars for gold

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j58gikUjyIo

Ha!  I love hearing his speeches.  He talks so slow that I can almost keep up despite knowing virtually no french.

He was mostly right, too.  There really was no way that the USA could both provide dollars in the quantity the world needed and redeem them for gold.  There simply isn't enough gold to go around.  That is the di part of Triffin's Dilemma.  And the resolution of that problem led us directly into the bizarre situation we are in now.

When Nixon closed the gold window, that rest of the world had the chance to get off this crazy ride.  For the most part, they chose to stay.  And they continue to stay because staying is better than leaving.  Creating a better system is a long, difficult road, paved with mistakes and uncertainty.

I think it would be absolutely awesome if bitcoin could step up as the global reserve currency.  It would fit the bill perfectly, even better than gold.

lebing
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000

Enabling the maximal migration

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 12:26:41 AM

Yep, worth going to war (iraq) over keeping it that way as well.

Bro, do you even blockchain?
-E Voorhees
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 12:30:20 AM

Aha, very well, your SAE is actually a bit more than a dollar, and I will admit to being pedantic.

I am interested to know how you think the current debt load is going to be repaid?

Simple.  Inflation. 

The dollar has lost 99% of it's value over the last 80 years.  It will lose that much over the next 80.  $15T is only $150M in real terms if the dollar devalues 99% over the next 80 years.
jojo69
Legendary

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 12:32:21 AM

Simple.  Inflation. 

The dollar has lost 99% of it's value over the last 80 years.  It will lose that much over the next 80.  $15T is only $150M in real terms if the dollar devalues 99% over the next 80 years.

That was my point, and kjj agrees.  He just somehow sees the USD surviving it.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 12:34:40 AM

Why would the next 80 years be any different?  I mean it isn't like this has snuck up on anyone.  The purchasing power of one $1 USD has slowly been eroded for decade after decade after decade.  It isn't like the US is throwing a curve ball at the last minute.  Do you honestly think there is any central bank that doesn't know that $1 USD will buy ~30% to 40% less in a decade?  Do you think any central banker didn't know that a decade ago, two decades ago, eight decades ago?  I mean you don't need to be an economist to figure that out you just need to be able to read a graph.

30 year bond rates tend to be above the rate of inflation so bondholders don't really lose (the naive ones just make less than they think).  They get more dollars but the dollars are worth less (but not worthless).  Net-net they break even.  It is a store of value in a weird kinda way.

The debt is less important than the deficit.  Our current year deficits are simply unsustainable but that is a lot easier to solve.  Paying down the debt is tough but we never will.  At one time a billion was a lot of money.  Did we pay down our billion dollar debt (circa 1918).  No we just let inflation solve it over the next century.
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 01:51:46 AM

There is no such thing as a trade deficit, not really.  In the long run, there is always balance.  As the dollars flowed out, our capital, our saved production, our means of future production, flowed out with them.  We didn't rebuild Europe and Asia after the war with tricky accounting, we poured out our sweat and blood, because no one else would.

In a hundred years, or two hundred, future historians will note the last several decades as the era when the United States impoverished itself to catapult the rest of the world into the modern age.
This is a very American-centric view, and does little to quash the stereotypes surrounding American self-centric thinking.

As USD became the reserve currency, other countries scrambled to provide non-depreciating assets. As USD depreciated and countries acquired more USD to compensate, more commodities and sound securities were provided. The USA has been feeding off this, and "exploitation of the globe" is without a doubt a crucial reason the USA remains the world's largest economy amidst development of harder-working, stronger-producing, and less-consuming markets in Asia and Latin America, and eventually Africa.
kjj
Legendary

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 02:27:25 AM

This is a very American-centric view, and does little to quash the stereotypes surrounding American self-centric thinking.

The hilarious part is that you'll find that what I'm saying is very unpopular in the US.  But I guess, haters gotta hate...  I'm pretty sure I know how history will understand this era when personal jealousy is no longer an issue.

As USD became the reserve currency, other countries scrambled to provide non-depreciating assets. As USD depreciated and countries acquired more USD to compensate, more commodities and sound securities were provided. The USA has been feeding off this, and "exploitation of the globe" is without a doubt a crucial reason the USA remains the world's largest economy amidst development of harder-working, stronger-producing, and less-consuming markets in Asia and Latin America, and eventually Africa.

You are going to have to explain this part to me, I can make no sense of it.  In particular:

What non-depreciating assets?
Who are they being provided to?
If dollars are so bad, why exactly are they gathering more of them instead of getting rid of them?
Again, what was being provided?  By who?  And to whom?
How has the US been feeding off of whatever you are talking about?
Do you mean exploit in the good sense, or the bad sense?

VeeMiner

Activity: 752
Merit: 500

bitcoin hodler

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 10:18:36 AM

http://www.shamoon.me/post/29347988378/bitcoins-to-break-5-000-btc-in-20-years - based on this post, it seems economically sound to predict that the price will break $5,000 in 20 years. What do you think?

I don't think this can be the case. Not with the current state of things. The only way this would be possible is if you will be wiping your ass with 20 dollar bills because they will have no value left...
jojo69
Legendary

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 03:53:06 PM

I am pretty sure that ,to the contrary, history will reflect that, post WWII, American Corporate interests dealt themselves the best hand ever and used American military power to maintain colonial hegemony over much of the globe, placing and supporting many well documented brutal dictatorships in the process.

But hey, tell yourself whatever happy stories make you sleep better.  It also helps to repeat "they hate us for our freedoms, they hate us for our freedoms" over and over

lebing
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000

Enabling the maximal migration

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 04:54:59 PM

I don't think this can be the case. Not with the current state of things. The only way this would be possible is if you will be wiping your ass with 20 dollar bills because they will have no value left...

Not true. The dollar (and other currencies) will still hold similar value. The market caps are so far out of line at the moment that an increase to 5000/btc would do little to the value of the national currencies.

Bro, do you even blockchain?
-E Voorhees
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: