Bitcoin Forum
July 10, 2024, 03:15:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A potential top @ $12.16: the bearish case  (Read 7642 times)
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2012, 11:16:09 PM

what ever happened to wave addict?

is he still sending out e-mail?

waveaddict

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 11:39:07 PM

yep, I just keep forgetting to post the update here.

notme
Legendary

Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 02:42:16 AM

yep, I just keep forgetting to post the update here.

Seem's like a good time to announce a half-price special...  You'd still be getting more fiat for your service than when you started.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4368
Merit: 3287

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 06:00:34 AM

Well, now that the price has gone past your $12.16 top, what do your astrological technical analysis charts say?

Elliot Wave Theory is a bunch of useless nonsense. Fibonacci numbers are just numbers. They aren't magic and they are not connected to trading or bitcoins in any way. There I said it.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4550
Merit: 1849

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 07:16:36 AM

Well, now that the price has gone past your $12.16 top, what do your astrological technical analysis charts say?

Elliot Wave Theory is a bunch of useless nonsense. Fibonacci numbers are just numbers. They aren't magic and they are not connected to trading or bitcoins in any way. There I said it.
Shh ... people might realise that anything with any sort of volatility goes up and down ... and not like a predetermined function ...

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 09:39:41 PM

I understand that wave theory presents these possible outcomes, just was wondering if there was any money-management behind the trades.

What trades?

If the original poster has stops or limits that would take them out, I'd be interested to know what price that would be.

I am long BTC without a stop and believe the B wave potential is still on the table and may present a buying opportunity in the future. I've said this several times already.

Sorry, thought the rationale for analyzing the market was for executing trades. If that isn't the case - I didn't mean to allege any trading activity.

Ah - so you are in the market. Fair enough. Just was curious if you had any limits or stops for money management. You've answered my question. Good luck.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
Tomatocage
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1222

brb keeping up with the Kardashians

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 04:31:42 PM

I lol'd

Recommended Exchanges: Binance.com | CelsiusNetwork
GPG ID: 4880D85C | 1% Escrow | 8% IPO/ICO Escrow services Temporarily Closed | Bitcointalk is the ONLY place where I use this name (No Skype/IRC/YIM/AIM/etc) | 13CsmTqGNwvFXb7tD9yFvJcEYCDTB8wQTS | Beware of these SCAM sites! | *Sponsored Link
mobodick

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 04:56:11 PM

well the Fibonacci ratios converge to the golden ratio so what's the point?

tbh I never understood the obsession with it, it's numerology imo.

Well, i have to disagree, and with me a big part of natural life.
Fibonacci sequence relations are very handy for space-packing, for instance.
The ratio has fractal like as it can be described as a recursive function.
Random webpage proving my point for me: http://www.maths.surrey.ac.uk/hosted-sites/R.Knott/Fibonacci/fibnat.html
I would agree on your numerology argument if it wasn't about the ratio.
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4550
Merit: 1849

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
August 18, 2012, 12:05:09 AM

Was the drop from $15.40 down to $10.60 part of that prediction ...

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
BrightAnarchist (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 853
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 18, 2012, 01:29:17 AM
Last edit: August 18, 2012, 01:49:40 AM by BrightAnarchist

Correct. The retracement went a bit higher than I expected, but I think being within 3 days of a major top is pretty damn close Smiley. $12.16 would be the first fib resistance point about 38% whereas $15.40 is about 50% which is the next major resistance point.

I think it's likely that Wave B is over and Wave C of II has begun to the downside. As I said in the OP, I'm still holding long with the coins that I already have, but I'm not buying any more coins until they reach around the $2 level again (unless my outlook changes).

Today's action certainly looks more like a major reversal rather than YANC (yet another normal correction):
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
August 18, 2012, 01:55:56 AM

Somewhere between 10.60 and 15.40 it will be 12.16 and the week is not over yet. Hell, I'm waiting for the "I sold everything at 15.40 and bought back at 10.60" threads. Hindsight analysis to verify vague predictions does not science make. TV evangelist prophets get a lot of donations for that kind of scam. Nowhere have I seen a stable 12.16 or anything close in a long time. It will take a prediction of stability at a price before I can believe any type of prediction methodology. But in case you are wondering, 12 is about the break even cost of the average small time bitcoin miner using pools, so that is a good reason to believe 12 can be stable.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
ruski

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 18, 2012, 02:56:52 AM

I think being within 3 days of a major top is pretty damn close Smiley

No. No it's not. There's a 30% difference in price between three days ago and the crash. Don't start believing your own hype and don't quit your day job. Roll Eyes

waveaddict

View Profile
August 18, 2012, 03:01:08 AM

You might actually want to take the time and learn about something before you completely discredit/insult it. The rise above $12 was obviously unsustainable and the vicious consequences were just as predictable: http://imageshack.us/f/839/389b.png/ (taken from past subscription chart 389)

the wave-4 ended up being a larger running flat which was tricky, but the aftermath of the price surpassing the upper channel trend-line was the same -- an extended 5th (a classic commodity/currency bubble wave) before a plunge.

ruski

View Profile
August 18, 2012, 03:05:26 AM

You might actually want to take the time and learn about something before you completely discredit/insult it. The rise above $12 was obviously unsustainable and the vicious consequences were just as predictable: http://imageshack.us/f/839/389b.png/ (taken from past subscription chart 389)

the wave-4 ended up being a larger running flat which was tricky, but the aftermath of the price surpassing the upper channel trend-line was the same -- an extended 5th (a classic commodity/currency bubble wave) before a plunge.

On the upside, if the price more or less holds, it solidifies the fact that the gains prior to that massive jump were solid, not speculative, and the growth we were seeing before should continue Smiley

blazing

Activity: 46
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 18, 2012, 03:26:09 AM

On the upside, if the price more or less holds, it solidifies the fact that the gains prior to that massive jump were solid, not speculative, and the growth we were seeing before should continue Smiley

Exactly! What a good opportunity to buy now.
waveaddict

View Profile
August 18, 2012, 03:31:09 AM

The daily and weekly underlying indicators say otherwise Wink

proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
August 18, 2012, 03:31:12 AM

Correct. The retracement went a bit higher than I expected, but I think being within 3 days of a major top is pretty damn close Smiley. $12.16 would be the first fib resistance point about 38% whereas $15.40 is about 50% which is the next major resistance point.

I think it's likely that Wave B is over and Wave C of II has begun to the downside. As I said in the OP, I'm still holding long with the coins that I already have, but I'm not buying any more coins until they reach around the $2 level again (unless my outlook changes).

Today's action certainly looks more like a major reversal rather than YANC (yet another normal correction):

Cypher, can I put my dancing bear back up now?

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
ruski

View Profile
August 18, 2012, 03:39:15 AM

Are y'all crazy? It jumped $2.40 in one day. Even the biggest bulls could see that was ending badly. And the "correction" has taken us roughly 50c below the start of that spike. If there were any bearish sentiment about the broader rally, stop-losses and fear would have pushed the price a lot lower. Especially given how light the buy side was at that point.

I'm not saying that we've seen the lowest point yet, especially being the weekend, but if you think this is likely to last, I think you're in for a big surprise. A genuine rally has just dipped, after weeks of non-stop growth. This is where the fun really starts.

odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4368
Merit: 3287

View Profile
August 18, 2012, 04:13:32 AM

Elliott Wave Theory is a bunch of useless nonsense. Fibonacci numbers are just numbers. They aren't magic and they are not connected to trading or bitcoins in any way. There I said it.

I actually know quite a lot about the subject. The "wave-4 tricky, blah, blah, blah, surpassing the upper channel trend-line, blah, blah, blah" you wrote is a bunch of nonsense derived from fairy tales dressed up to look like science. It is nonsense because it is just a bunch of pseudo-science built from Elliott's numerical hallucinations. It has as much validity as scientology and homeopathy, and of course, astrology. If someone could come up with a rational theoretical basis, or even some conclusive empirical evidence, then the subject might be transformed from mathematical allegories to a real science. But they can't. So, it remains stuck in the realm of confirmation bias, with the same stature as the science of street light interference (aka SLI to the believers).

As for the $12 mark, there was no top at $12, as your precious fairy tales predicted. The rise above $12 was not obviously unsustainable because the price was sustained well above your magic Fibonacci number. The fact that the price fell a few days after your misprediction was just a coincidence. You can not and should not try to take credit for anything here. Anyway, the fall in prices was caused an unpredictable event, not by crowd psychology or mood swings, which Elliot Wave Principle is purported (without substantiation) to be based on.

Oh btw, your $12.16 top looks more like a support level than a resistance level. Oh, but of course, resistance levels become support levels. What a lucky break -- your Xanadu remains intact. Isn't 20-20 hindsight precious?

/vomit

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
notme
Legendary

Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 18, 2012, 04:18:29 AM

Elliott Wave Theory is a bunch of useless nonsense. Fibonacci numbers are just numbers. They aren't magic and they are not connected to trading or bitcoins in any way. There I said it.

I actually know quite a lot about the subject. The "wave-4 tricky, blah, blah, blah, surpassing the upper channel trend-line, blah, blah, blah" you wrote is a bunch of nonsense derived from fairy tales dressed up to look like science. It is nonsense because it is just a bunch of pseudo-science built from Elliott's numerical hallucinations. It has as much validity as scientology and homeopathy, and of course, astrology. If someone could come up with a rational theoretical basis, or even some conclusive empirical evidence, then the subject might be transformed from mathematical allegories to a real science. But they can't. So, it remains stuck in the realm of confirmation bias, with the same stature as the science of street light interference (aka SLI to the believers).

As for the $12 mark, there was no top at $12, as your precious fairy tales predicted. The rise above $12 was not obviously unsustainable because the price was sustained well above your magic Fibonacci number. The fact that the price fell a few days after your misprediction was just a coincidence. You can not and should not try to take credit for anything here. Anyway, the fall in prices was caused an unpredictable event, not by crowd psychology or mood swings, which Elliot Wave Principle is purported (without substantiation) to be based on.

Oh btw, your $12.16 top looks more like a support level than a resistance level. Oh, but of course, resistance levels become support levels. What a lucky break -- your Xanadu remains intact. Isn't 20-20 hindsight precious?

/vomit

It's rooted in psychology and the chart he showed was sent out on August 7th.  Somehow he made a pretty accurate description of what happened two weeks later.

If a day and a half is "sustained" in your world, I can understand the confusion.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: