Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 02:51:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to explain bitcoin to old people  (Read 2653 times)
stan.distortion (OP)

Activity: 317
Merit: 1012

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 12:03:30 PM
Last edit: October 28, 2015, 03:21:51 PM by stan.distortion

Curious about the trolls methods? http://pastebin.com/irj4Fyd5
Manipulation of public discussion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bYAQ-ZZtEU

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 12:07:22 PM

Problem: they don't know what online, internet, email, scanning and emailing is. Not joking, they really don't know ANYTHING about computer. And, worst thing, they don't want to learn about it.

rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 12:20:57 PM

Problem: they don't know what online, internet, email, scanning and emailing is. Not joking, they really don't know ANYTHING about computer. And, worst thing, they don't want to learn about it.

That's not always true. Not long ago, at the grocery store, an old lady in front of me at the cashier's desk was asking them about the shop's loyalty point system, said she didn't have her membership card with her, and asked if she could claim her points on the chain's website (yes) and what keyword she should search for to find the right page.

It's 2012.

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
beckspace

Activity: 931
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 12:30:19 PM

Tell them its the best present for their grandchildren.

Topazan

Activity: 354
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 12:41:15 PM

Americans old enough to have lived through the depression are likely to appreciate the advantages of bitcoin, once their properly explained.  I don't know how Americans who lived during the period in which the gold trade was restricted feel about it, but maybe there's something there, too.  In general, I think there is quite a bit of anti-statism among the older generations that can be exploited.

I wouldn't even try to explain the technical aspect, not least because my own understanding is imperfect.  Just assure them that it's protected by unbreakable mathematical principles.

Naturally, everyone is different and the same approach might not work for everyone etc. etc.

Save the last bitcoin for me!
Graet
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2012, 12:44:47 PM

my dad has been using the internet for 15 years or more, I'm 50 in November, I guess he's old, seemed to get the idea when I explained it to him last time I caught up.

I have to say it generalisations ie: "isms" are not valid, age.., race...,sex...

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
Portnoy
Legendary

Activity: 2030

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 03:42:03 PM

my dad has been using the internet for 15 years or more, I'm 50 in November, I guess he's old, seemed to get the idea when I explained it to him last time I caught up.

I have to say it generalisations ie: "isms" are not valid, age.., race...,sex...

Yes, one needs to determine if they are a neophobe or a neophile to know how to proceed. 
jim618
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2012, 05:15:25 PM

It is a tricky one - a lot of seniors have pensions denominated in fiat from their government that they are relying on.

I have explained bitcoin to a couple of smart seniors in my family and they soon figured out the scenario:

1) Young people start using bitcoin as their preferred form of payment for their labour.
2) Where is the fiat going to come from to pay their pensions ?
3) The government will just print it of course = rampant inflation.

Most of them went through (in the UK) the inflation in the 1970s and know that a few years of inflation can totally destroy the value of their fixed income.

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
Ferroh

Activity: 111
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 05:31:13 PM

That is not true of everyone who is "old" (whatever age that may be).

When they aren't interested in learning about it, you don't need to explain it to them. When they are curious, it's handy to have an explanation ready to go.
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 07:08:10 PM

It's like gold (limited supply, essentially impossible to fake),

but better (can be sent instantly, directly, and securely anywhere in the world, easily divisible, easier to store, equally available to anyone willing to "mine" it),

and in one way worse (not widely adopted yet).

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
weex
Legendary

Activity: 1102
Merit: 1014

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 07:10:41 PM

I'm not sure explaining it is the best path for everyone towards understanding Bitcoin. To learn to use the dollar, nobody had to explain it. At a certain point they had to just trust the system that maintains it and Bitcoin can be similar. You just have to be able to show them a transaction or two and set them up with a wallet. More to come...
Timo Y
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1001

bitcoin - the aerogel of money

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 08:05:32 PM

+1

I know a 70 year old who hasn't even figured out how copy+paste works despite owning a laptop for 15 years.  Yet when I explained the principles of bitcoin to him, he groked it straight away.   Just focus on the principles and don't use technical terms such as "hashing" and clever old people will catch up fast.  Dumb old people perhaps not, but neither will dumb young people.

GPG ID: FA868D77   bitcoin-otc:forever-d
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2012, 08:18:23 PM

Tell them it is like sending text messages but instead of sending words, you are sending money.

Or if they know nothing of technology just tell them that because of all of the expenses and debt they built up, we are jumping ship to a new money without all of the baggage.

Be sure to mention that even though they "paid into social security" (paid taxes) all of their lives. They are now "getting it back" (receiving welfare) but in money that nobody wants.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
mb300sd
Legendary

Activity: 1260

Drunk Posts

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2012, 08:39:34 PM

+1

I know a 70 year old who hasn't even figured out how copy+paste works despite owning a laptop for 15 years.  Yet when I explained the principles of bitcoin to him, he groked it straight away.   Just focus on the principles and don't use technical terms such as "hashing" and clever old people will catch up fast.  Dumb old people perhaps not, but neither will dumb young people.

How do you grope a bitcoin?  Huh

1D7FJWRzeKa4SLmTznd3JpeNU13L1ErEco
unclemantis

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 08:47:23 PM

I am in the works at giving a lecture at a local hackerspace.

Do you all have any suggestions on what I should cover and perhaps HOW?

Feel free to message me or leave your thoughts in this tread.

Sorry for the trolling Smiley

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
repentance

Activity: 868

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 10:49:19 PM

Who do you think bought the first generation of home PCs?  Who do you think was using bulletin boards and usenet before the www existed?  Who do you think was signing up for internet and mobile phone services back in the day when those were extremely expensive, buggy technologies?

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 10:52:42 PM

Who do you think bought the first generation of home PCs?  Who do you think was using bulletin boards and usenet before the www existed?  Who do you think was signing up for internet and mobile phone services back in the day when those were extremely expensive, buggy technologies?
The middle-aged people.

Old people are generally defined as people over 70, who were in their prime when computers were still barely small enough to fit in universities.
Testit

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 11:32:13 PM

It was Me Wink i did it all at least once..
Guess I am old enough  Cool
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 11:50:10 PM

. . .I explained the principles of bitcoin to him, he groked it straight away. . .
How do you grope a bitcoin?  Huh

First re-read, and you'll see that nobody said anything about groping.

Next go read Robert A. Heinlein's "Stranger in a Strange Land" if you don't understand the concept of grok.

BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2012, 11:56:04 PM

How do you grope a bitcoin?  Huh
It's grok not grope.
From Heinlein's famous "Stranger in a Strange Land" sci-fi novel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grok

Though I think the past tense should likely be grokked as otherwise it really looks like groke.

... Bitcoin - grok it if you can ...

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: