Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 09:32:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Anything sustainable worth of investing?  (Read 38048 times)
Minerjoe (OP)

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 07:53:20 AM

Hey guys,

I post these questions a lot recently on different forums but I ve not been able to receive a satisfactory answer. Has BTC economy really turned into a sea of ponzies and scam?
Is there ANYTHING worth of investing these days? Anything which might provide sustainable dividend, regardless of how low it might be?

Pls do not post cryptodublers, pyramid schemes, 5% per day ROI websites and similar junk. Only verifiable and transparent options pls.

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
EMIF

Activity: 132
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 08:40:44 AM

Hey guys,

I post these questions a lot recently on different forums but I ve not been able to receive a satisfactory answer. Has BTC economy really turned into a sea of ponzies and scam?
Is there ANYTHING worth of investing these days? Anything which might provide sustainable dividend, regardless of how low it might be?

Pls do not post cryptodublers, pyramid schemes, 5% per day ROI websites and similar junk. Only verifiable and transparent options pls.

No , not at all. Unless a legal framework isnt set up for bitcoin businesses and bitcoin stock exchanges  , its really hard to find a sustainable ( paying dividends more than +1 years ) bitcoin business.

And it seems at least 2-3 years we have to wait for that.
BrianM

Activity: 546
Merit: 510

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 09:18:43 AM

There are honest and noble people left in bitcoin.
They can be a bit hard to find but they are there.
I have both encountered nasty scammers and very nice honest and friendly people.
But in real life it is the same, I am 48, and I have meet many people in my life that I would not trust with one single dollar,
but I have also meet people that I would trust my life to.
Minerjoe (OP)

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 09:24:06 AM

There are honest and noble people left in bitcoin.
They can be a bit hard to find but they are there.
I have both encountered nasty scammers and very nice honest and friendly people.
But in real life it is the same, I am 48, and I have meet many people in my life that I would not trust with one single dollar,
but I have also meet people that I would trust my life to.

I fully agree but I would appreciate examples inside the BTC economy. So we can help these honest people can funding for their projects and deny the same to scammers.

Timetwister
Legendary

Activity: 1199
Merit: 1047

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 09:28:23 AM

I wish there was. The only decent investment that I have found is Bitfinex (lending BTC/USD there), and I'm not even sure about that one.
Minerjoe (OP)

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 09:42:54 AM

I wish there was. The only decent investment that I have found is Bitfinex (lending BTC/USD there), and I'm not even sure about that one.

How can we expect BTC ecosystem to develop then. If there s nothing we can actually invest in??

runam0k
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

Touchdown

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 10:19:02 AM

I'm hoping the new SEC crowdfunding rules (i.e. start-ups are now able to raise up to $50m from non-accredited investors) will help.

Part of the problem, put simply, is that only people willing to break the law have been involved in offering BTC securities to date (because, duh, public offer rules are enormously restrictive -- 99% of BTC offerings are illegal).  Invaraibly, inevitably, they are exactly the sort of people willing to run with funds or otherwise shaft investors.  Welcome to Libertaria.

Hopefully we'll see more bona fide start-ups raising BTC funding in legit public offerings in future.  Start-ups with real people who make real disclosures and who are subject to real due diligence.  Some will fail, of course, but that's the nature of high risk, high return investments.
gogxmagog
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1009

Ad maiora!

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 10:21:24 AM

put simply; NOP
medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2015, 10:28:44 AM

Has BTC economy really turned into a sea of ponzies and scam?
Is there ANYTHING worth of investing these days?

I afraid so. A business which looks profitable and sustainable could turn into a scam any minute. An investor had no way to know that beforehand. The only way to verify authenticity of a business is to make a visit to the address and see for yourself. This is difficult since bitcoin businesses could be anywhere in the world.

It is not the time yet for bitcoin denominated investments. I expect them to be more a few years down the road.
Lboss

Activity: 412
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 12:58:45 PM

Hey guys,

I dont think there are no sustainable crypto currency denominated stocks.

They dont have to be  scam but sometimes its just lack of management skills or changing nature of BTC related businesses (mining: wrong design ; late delivery).
So, even if you find some company which seems pretty legit and trusthworthy, this doesnt mean it will go forever.

Im not taking this risk anymore. Trading altcoin , investing innovative altcoin make much more sense and less risky to me. Before investor protection by laws, I will just stay away from BTC stocks or businesses.
Minerjoe (OP)

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 01:07:30 PM

So you are telling me this entire industry consist of mining, exchanges and hoarding???

Phildo
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 01:28:38 PM

For something to be sustainable you need a company that can actually generate bitcoins AND that you can trust to not screw you over. You need to trust them not to screw you over, in general, which appears to be hard enough, AND you need to find someone so trustworthy that they won't screw you over under the immense pressure to screw you over that would come up if the price goes up significantly.

It doesn't really make sense to invest in someone that's going to sell the coins to get cash to do something, because they will not be able to pay back your coins if the price goes up. And it appears that it's been almost if not completely impossible to find someone trustworthy enough.
Minerjoe (OP)

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 08:20:12 PM

I have to say I am really worried about this entire economy. It s true that we re still in the early stages of development of meaningfull crypto securities markets but NOTHING. I guess it s in human nature to scam if allowed to do so.

Branny

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 09:17:44 PM

I have to say I am really worried about this entire economy. It s true that we re still in the early stages of development of meaningfull crypto securities markets but NOTHING. I guess it s in human nature to scam if allowed to do so.

If you look at most hashing organizations, and then look at historical difficulty, growth of bitcoin and the like it SHOULD be pretty apparent to people that if you want a solid investment (Not one for churn and burn) then there really aren't any mining companies out there that has a sustainable business, because mining in of itself isn't overly sustainable in a long term way unless you have severe capital and hardware infrastructure. Usually if you have those two you don't have to rely on internet investors in exchanges.

I certainly wouldn't say that all businesses are in violation of the SEC rules, believe it or not, some companies on the market do retain legal advisory and they've indicated that deals CAN be structured legally to accept investment.

SEC's A+ system is by far one of the best things to happen to crowdfunding in the US. The requirements are absolutely fantastic, and terms are great to small businesses who are starting up. Granted, out of all the businesses on HL, cryptostocks and the like, very few will be able to meet the requirements (We will be one of the few that is eligible and will go for A+ as soon as the SEC rules are finalized in 60 days).

Additionally, it hasn't helped the bitcoin ecosystem that most investors as well as issuers want to retain as much anonymity as possible. A honest question that people need to ask is how many issuers can you think of could be reached by phone or physical mail during the startup and issuing phases of business? I can't think of many, almost all of them were email addresses, and websites and nothing more. Sure some had names, but most people successfully faded into the background once their scam was complete, or the business faltered.

With A+ there's certainly going to be more investor protections, but people will need to realize that the average startup failure is in the 60% range already, and with new tech it's even higher. Rewards are certainly high, but i can't think of any bitcoin-specific entities that have done quite well, granted a few  are still establishing themselves and haven't collapsed yet.
Bonam

Activity: 420

View Profile
March 31, 2015, 01:55:19 AM

Hey guys,

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Definitely not.
PeterB

Activity: 168

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2015, 02:36:23 AM

Hey guys,

Possibly there are a few out of the hundreds of scams.  The problem is that you won't know until after the fact.

Mine bitcoins with you mind!  Play poker at Seals with Clubs!  Now with mixed games, stud games, and multiple variants of OFC!  These games are not offered on any other bitcoin poker site!  Sign up with me, PeterB, as your referral and I can help you with eBooks, strategy and more!  PM me for more details.
Minerjoe (OP)

View Profile
March 31, 2015, 05:15:53 AM

Hey guys,

Possibly there are a few out of the hundreds of scams.  The problem is that you won't know until after the fact.

Hah, yes, I understand crypto s a very fertile ground for scams and ponzies. This is the reason why we have such a limited growth after all.

RAXS

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 31, 2015, 11:21:22 PM

No!

If you stay away from bitcoin securities you'll have more money.
Little P 1

Activity: 167

View Profile
March 31, 2015, 11:24:18 PM

Smiley if you do your research you can find a few gems.
nwfella
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1000

Well hello there!

View Profile
March 31, 2015, 11:55:20 PM

Hey guys,

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Definitely not.
lmao.  too true too true!

The few and far between legitimate stocks that I've come across (cryptsy, rentalstarter) haven't even really ROI'd at this point nor are they likely too anytime soon.  If your fortunate enough to know a big enough fish that has the wherewithall to pull off the next coinbase and manage to invest in him/her early then you might get lucky, but no, for the most part majority of bitcoin related securities in my experience have been mostly booty.

¯¯̿̿¯̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿̿)͇̿̿)̿̿̿̿ '̿̿̿̿̿̿\̵͇̿̿\=(•̪̀●́)=o/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿̿

Gimme the crypto!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: