Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 04:55:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [CLOSED] Hard Drive Loan  (Read 1263 times)
TehZomB (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 05:24:03 PM
Last edit: August 16, 2012, 01:15:27 AM by TehZomB

So this is a bit of an odd request, I'm aware of that.
I need to decrypt three truecrypted hard drives, each of them has a little more than 1.1TB in storage space used. However, in order to do that, one must copy these files somewhere else, then reformat the encrypted drive and move the files back. I don't have another hard drive to do that with. Here's what I propose:

I'll send you a security deposit either in GoxUSD or BTC for the cost of a new hard drive of the same type, plus a 5 3? BTC fee for your trouble. This 3 BTC also includes your shipping costs. You ship the drive to me, I work with it, then ship it back to you. Once you receive your hard drive back you return my security deposit.

The drive should be SATA or eSATA (due to speed) and have a capacity of no less than 1.5TB. Also, if you don't mind, I don't have any spare (e)SATA cables so if you could include the cable ^.^

Because of shipping costs I'd like this to be taken care of domestically (within the United States). I'll need the drive for 2-3 days tops.

I know this is odd. I'd rather not spring for a new hard drive I don't need, and I don't want to buy a new hard drive just to return it. Assuming you trust me (I'm giving you a security deposit) the biggest risk is damage to the HDD from shipping, so maybe it'd be better if your drive was still under warranty.

Any takers?

Thanks

The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2012, 05:28:28 PM

I'd probably spring for this, but if you're willing to spend 5 BTC + one way of shipping cost (that's about $70), why not just buy this drive from NewEgg for $89 and have a drive you can keep even if you don't need it?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148840

The drive I would have to spare if I did this is a brand new 2 or 3 TB drive in a USB 3.0 enclosure, which would be slower if interfaced with USB 2.0.

And if all you need is a SATA cable, I have a million of these lying around.  If you were to place any order on my coin store and say "please include a SATA cable, I need one!", I'd gladly oblige.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
TehZomB (OP)

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 05:32:59 PM
Last edit: August 14, 2012, 05:46:19 PM by TehZomB

You are correct. I'm still in the mindset of 1 BTC is less than $10.... oh well.

Drives are getting cheaper and cheaper, I could just wait for a newegg sale. Decisions, decisions.

edited OP. will you do it for 3 BTC?

And if all you need is a SATA cable, I have a million of these lying around.  If you were to place any order on my coin store and say "please include a SATA cable, I need one!", I'd gladly oblige.

thanks, will keep that in mind Smiley
Tril

Activity: 213
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 02:11:16 PM

I have a 3TB I will loan you, just PM me your shipping address
Get your own SATA cable Smiley I should take Casascius up on his offer as well, I need more.
TehZomB (OP)

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 01:15:13 AM

fulfilled. 3.5 btc payed to 1EZVhEA47h3FmfqNN34fWm5xGwsL2pE75K for the loan + shipping.

deposit was waived by Tril Smiley
TehZomB (OP)

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 04:23:57 PM

The transaction is now complete! Thread closed.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: