Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:29:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Difference between a Torrent Network and a Block chain  (Read 3741 times)
VoR0220 (OP)

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 11:10:57 PM

Hey guys,

I'm trying to understand the two concepts better. Can someone explain to me what is the fundamental difference between a torrent network and a block chain? What's the difference between sending a bitcoin and sending a music file in a peer to peer network? It may be a complex and rather open ended question, but I am prepared for a complex answer as well. Thanks in advance!
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1065

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 11:37:15 PM

Actually the difference is very simple to explain:

1) When I send you a file via Bittorrent protocol we end up with the situation where both you and me have a copy of this file;

2) When I send you a coin via Bitcoin protocol I lose my coin and you gain one, the blockchain is a shared resource that keeps track of the coins so they don't multiply like rabbits or copies of an unreleased Sylvester's Stallone movie.

Everything else is just an implementation detail.

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
VoR0220 (OP)

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 11:44:20 PM

so in theory, one could make a torrent network whereby via a block chain, you send a file and then lose the ability to access that file? Assuming you don't copy it of course.
Legendary

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 11:57:28 PM

so in theory, one could make a torrent network whereby via a block chain, you send a file and then lose the ability to access that file? Assuming you don't copy it of course.
No, with my understanding of the word "theory". On the Bittorrent network the copy of Sylvester's Stallone film is still playable and valuable no matter how many copies are in existence. On the Bitcoin network people value only coins that are "unspent" as marked by the "the most current and heaviest blockchain". The "spent" coins continue to exist, but nobody gives them any value.

You may have other meaning of the word "theory" on you mind.

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
VoR0220 (OP)

View Profile
March 31, 2015, 02:21:08 AM

No, with my understanding of the word "theory". On the Bittorrent network the copy of Sylvester's Stallone film is still playable and valuable no matter how many copies are in existence. On the Bitcoin network people value only coins that are "unspent" as marked by the "the most current and heaviest blockchain". The "spent" coins continue to exist, but nobody gives them any value.

You may have other meaning of the word "theory" on you mind.

My question is moreso if I were to somehow make a blockchain that instead of exchanging bitcoins exchanged files. Would that mean that in that network, once that file is sent to another party, that I no longer have access to said file (assuming that I have not copied it)?
Legendary

View Profile
March 31, 2015, 02:59:25 AM

My question is moreso if I were to somehow make a blockchain that instead of exchanging bitcoins exchanged files. Would that mean that in that network, once that file is sent to another party, that I no longer have access to said file (assuming that I have not copied it)?
Maybe in the universe from the film "Interstellar" or "Blade Runner" or "In Time" you can make an assumption that you looked at the data but did not copy it.

In the real world we live you can't make such assumptions. I can't and won't try to prohibit you from fantasizing or dreaming up alternate realities. In the real world we all live you could learn how any sort of digital media player/reader works and stop conceptualizing "somehow" magical DRM (Digital Rights Management) devices. There's no point of getting into details of peer-to-peer and distributed technologies.

hhanh00

Activity: 467
Merit: 266

View Profile
March 31, 2015, 03:45:45 AM

The blockchain doesn't store bitcoins. It stores the transactions that exchange them. Imagine all the bank statements in the world. That's what the blockchain contains. Like making a photocopy of your bank statement won't make you richer, copying the blockchain has no effect on bitcoin allocation.

A file on the other hand is quite different. Copying it duplicates the information.

teukon
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 31, 2015, 09:09:27 AM

Hey guys,

I'm trying to understand the two concepts better. Can someone explain to me what is the fundamental difference between a torrent network and a block chain? What's the difference between sending a bitcoin and sending a music file in a peer to peer network? It may be a complex and rather open ended question, but I am prepared for a complex answer as well. Thanks in advance!

A Bittorrent swarm manages transfers of files.  Files are digital and can be copied.  The primary function of the swarm is to connect people.  The basics of the protocol are concerned with how to perform the set task efficiently.

The Bitcoin network manages transfers of bitcoins.  Bitcoins are virtual and cannot be copied.  The primary function of the network is to enable transfers.  The basics of the protocol are concerned with how to perform the set task at all.
spin

Activity: 362
Merit: 261

View Profile
March 31, 2015, 10:02:09 AM

I think it's easier to think of bitcoin network transferring a record of transactions (i.e. the blockchain) as opposed to transferring "coins".  Everybody in the bitcoin network is trying to download one growing file (the blockchain) that's ever changing.  There is some uncertainty as to what should be in the last bit of the file (i.e. the last blocks are not certain) and the network figures out which last block is valid based on majority.

Also on top of blocks (parts) of the blockchain (file) being transmitted you also have individual transactions being transmitted. 

Differences to bittorrent:
- One "file", not many different files
- Uncertainty as to the contents of the file
- Majority network decision on the contents of the file
- Also transactions that doesn't seem to have an equivalent in bittorrent.

If you liked this post buy me a beer.  Beers are quite cheap where I live!
bc1q707guwp9pc73r08jw23lvecpywtazjjk399daa
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: