Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 05:26:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Blockchain.info wallet on iOS - install it now!  (Read 6308 times)
Steve (OP)

Activity: 868
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2012, 06:00:52 AM

The Blockchain.info app is back on the app store…no idea how that happened, but install it now before Apple changes their minds again.

(gasteve on IRC) Does your website accept cash? https://bitpay.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 06:14:49 AM
Last edit: September 27, 2012, 06:17:25 AM by Stephen Gornick

The Blockchain.info app is back on the app store…no idea how that happened, but install it now before Apple changes their minds again.

Unfortunately, it is not the Blockchain for iOS wallet app, but instead just their block explorer utility.  [Update: Apparently, the real deal -- full wallet.]

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 06:16:59 AM

not even it is just to view unconfirmed transactions, might as well jailbreak

Weird, some people are reporting send and receive:

- http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=75673.msg1099955#msg1099955

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

MemoryDealers
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1052
Merit: 1105

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2012, 07:18:59 AM

There does seem to be a way to activate the full wallet functionality.
It is best to install it ASAP.

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/blockchain/id493253309?mt=8&ls=1

Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 08:12:43 AM

[tinfoilhat]

I wonder if Apple has had a room full of aspergic chimps working on attacks to clear out coins from iOS Blockchain.info wallets, and now that they think they've developed the perfect attack, they re-release the app?

[/tinfoilhat]

No, that sounds ridiculous

Vires in numeris
Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 08:33:24 AM

A wallet on blockchain.info is inherently insecure. You should never have anything in it you would not be willing to lose.
Putting the app on top of that adds a few potential security threats sure, but it is already an assumed distrustful environment.

Leave the real wealth in the real wallet, put a few coins in this when going out, beer fund Smiley

Hmmmm, not from the way that piuk describes the operation of the blockchain.info wallets. They appear to be a fairly ingenious method of securing online wallets (private key is generated, stored and encrypted locally, then signatures are used to access the funds. Not sure how they validate the signatures! But it seems to work)

Vires in numeris
waspoza

Activity: 602
Merit: 508

Firstbits: 1waspoza

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 09:48:41 AM

A wallet on blockchain.info is inherently insecure.

Any more specific info on that please?
MemoryDealers
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1052
Merit: 1105

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2012, 10:14:53 AM

The code is open source.
Please feel free to take a look for insecurities:

https://github.com/blockchain/My-Wallet-iPhone

aq

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 10:21:12 AM

You guys should put your money where your mouth is and stop supporting Bitcoin blocking Apple. Buy some Bitcoin loving Android phone.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 10:26:13 AM

The code is open source.
Please feel free to take a look for insecurities:

https://github.com/blockchain/My-Wallet-iPhone

Yes, that's what tin-foil Carlton was concerned about, the open source aspect.

I do understand that this has not done the Satoshi client any harm (far from it), but I have a good idea of how many developers are throwing their collective nous at that project (and also a good impression of their calibre as coders). Plus there's plenty of other evidence about the extent to which others disseminate and analyse the source.

With blockchain.info wallet, piuk appears to be the sole developer. Not trying to cast any aspersions against piuk, he appears to have done a great job judging by the feedback in the main thread, but I'm still not quite confident enough to use the app. I will be sitting back and waiting for the moment, as there's no compelling use case for me (yet)

Vires in numeris
beckspace

Activity: 931
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 12:06:51 PM
Last edit: August 15, 2012, 12:24:24 PM by beckspace

A wallet on blockchain.info is inherently insecure. You should never have anything in it you would not be willing to lose.
Putting the app on top of that adds a few potential security threats sure, but it is already an assumed distrustful environment.

Leave the real wealth in the real wallet, put a few coins in this when going out, beer fund Smiley

I thought that too!

Since the code is open, people can modify, compile and publish as an app. Or simply wait for the compiled version from Qkos Services Ltd and change it (Man-in-the-Middle).

Anyway to be sure?
SpontaneousDisorder

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 12:21:59 PM

Other than that its great for just monitoring funds in another wallet.
ErebusBat

Activity: 560

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 12:26:57 PM

Welcome to the community, glad to have you.

However please learn how things work before spouting off "advice".

kthnx

░▒▓█ Coinroll.it - 1% House Edge Dice Game █▓▒░ • Coinroll Thread • *FREE* 100 BTC Raffle

Signup for CEX.io BitFury exchange and get GHS Instantly!  Don't wait for shipping, mine NOW!
ErebusBat

Activity: 560

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 12:29:03 PM

I thought that too!

Since the code is open, people can modify, compile and publish as an app. Or simply wait for the compiled version from Qkos Services Ltd and change it (Man-in-the-Middle).

Anyway to be sure?
That attack won't work with the app store, the signatures would fail.

As far as downloading a malicious version the same advice goes for any other bitcoin software, just make you you download it from a trusted source.  You could easily download a recompiled version of the mainline bitcoin client that was modified.  Just be vigilant.

░▒▓█ Coinroll.it - 1% House Edge Dice Game █▓▒░ • Coinroll Thread • *FREE* 100 BTC Raffle

Signup for CEX.io BitFury exchange and get GHS Instantly!  Don't wait for shipping, mine NOW!
Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 12:31:53 PM

Welcome to the community, glad to have you.

However please learn how things work before spouting off "advice".

kthnx

Wasn't blockchain.info fundamentally different in its approach to securing the wallet? I can't remember the technical details, nor am I an authority on them to begin with, but I do remember making a decision to move some coins to blockchain.info after reading some previous threads.

It would be nice to get a final determination on this some time.
runlinux

Activity: 566

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2012, 12:42:06 PM

hmmm, unable to download... Might be because i have the app from Cydia too, lol.

drrussellshane

Activity: 546

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 12:49:08 PM

Awesome.

Buy a TREZOR! Premier BTC hardware wallet. If you're reading this, you should probably buy one if you don't already have one. You'll thank me later.
beckspace

Activity: 931

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 12:52:53 PM

That attack won't work with the app store, the signatures would fail.

Nice to know.

Some questions remains:

Who checks the signatures? How often?
runlinux

Activity: 566

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2012, 01:09:46 PM

yup, that did it. Uninstalled Cydia's version and the AppStore version downloaded just fine Smiley

mobile4ever

Activity: 546

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 02:26:39 PM

Unfortunately, it is not the Blockchain for iOS wallet app, but instead just their block explorer utility.

not even it is just to view unconfirmed transactions, might as well jailbreak

That is necessary for many things since Apple has designed the iOS system with large restrictions on what they can do compared with things like Android, Bada, Tizen, Meego. Those four are based on Linux, which is free and open software.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: