Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 10:17:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: averaging down  (Read 1585 times)
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 05:22:32 AM

Nope. I set a limit as to what I was willing to spend and how many coins I thought would make a difference to my life in the future if it really took off and stuck to it. If I want more then I'll earn it or trade for it.

If it dies, so be it. I'm not going to chase it downwards. The idea of spending more to reduce a loss doesn't really compute for me.

yeah, my feelings exactly. Not going to chase it. If it is going to make it-OK. If not, then it would not.
Averaging down does not work in 80-90% cases on the stock market as well.

Cool, wait for an uptrend to be confirmed at 400+, then buy.

(But then you could have bought at $240, oh well... you can chase it on the way up)
Not certain if this is meant sarcastically or not, but this thinking is one of the main reasons people lose money on stocks and investments. They wait for the market to move, then trade, meaning they buy high sell low, whereas obviously you want to do it the other way round.

Never chase it, down or up!

Sarcastic or not, many people do trade that way, and it can provide great rewards for short-term traders.
Shhhh... Don't tell the newbies.  Smiley

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 09:52:14 AM

Thanks for the replies. 
I guess i'll transfer money to an exchange just incase anything big happens anytime soon, but right now I feel like its such a gamble. 

you should buy, everytime you see a stable price like the current one that remain there for weeks/months, it mean that it is time to buy

i do not see it dropping much further, loss should be minimal
WhatTheGox
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 10:12:11 AM

I used to try and buy at the right time during the lows, etc and ended up getting burnt. Now I buy once a week, every week, regardless of price.

same, why bother trading something with such moon potential at any moment... dont fancy sitting in front of a screen all day so just buy and hold.
manselr
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 06:31:40 PM

Have a lot of you been doing this the entire time?
Debating doing a large purchase, but then again every time I have tried to do this well......look at the btc price history for the past year........ and of course the current decline since the last time we crossed 300 

Everyday that you haven't gone all in since sub 300 is an huge risk. Why you ask? well it's simple, you will see in a couple of years how trying to buy at 300, 200 or 100 was a joke compared to the gains that were to be made, and the huge risk it was, with the perspective of time.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 06:37:28 PM

Everyday that you haven't gone all in since sub 300 is an huge risk. Why you ask? well it's simple, you will see in a couple of years how trying to buy at 300, 200 or 100 was a joke compared to the gains that were to be made, and the huge risk it was, with the perspective of time.

It's a long, long way from being in the bag. Very soon we'll be at a lower price than we were two years ago, albeit very briefly.

The case for gains is strong. There are things happening and developing that would've been inconceivable just a short while ago. The downside case has plenty of merits too.

Peeps should keep their wits and sense of perspective close at hand. Nothing is guaranteed to anyone.

Raystonn

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 06:38:31 PM

That's not quite true.  If you can buy 3 times as many Bitcoin at $100 each, then the future gains will be triple.  Your argument only stands if you are planning on buying X Bitcoins regardless of price.
afbitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 2101
Merit: 1061

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2015, 10:44:08 PM

I bought in at higher prices and now I'm buying in again getting much more bitcoin for my fiat. I don't see it as averaging down though. I'm just taking advantage of prices lower than i thought I'd see. Quite  glad of the chance, these prices are a gift
Dafar
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

dafar consulting

View Profile
April 01, 2015, 11:30:10 PM

Nope. I set a limit as to what I was willing to spend and how many coins I thought would make a difference to my life in the future if it really took off and stuck to it. If I want more then I'll earn it or trade for it.

If it dies, so be it. I'm not going to chase it downwards. The idea of spending more to reduce a loss doesn't really compute for me.

I'm on the same boat

███████████
███████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
███████████████░████░░███████████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░░██████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░███████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████