Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 06:13:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Uh, support for combining balances?  (Read 2097 times)
deus-ex-machina

Activity: 166
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 11:14:45 PM

I shouldn't have to do a separate transaction to combine a balance.

Then use sendmany.

The 0.00000001 balance will cease to exist after it has been spent.

No. Transaction fees (if they are even charged, which they aren't if you aren't just spending the coins as soon as you get them) are added to the reward miners get. After a certain amount of time, there isn't even a transaction fee anyway, so your point is moot.
zvs (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1000

https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2012, 12:03:42 AM

I shouldn't have to do a separate transaction to combine a balance.

Then use sendmany.

The 0.00000001 balance will cease to exist after it has been spent.

No. Transaction fees (if they are even charged, which they aren't if you aren't just spending the coins as soon as you get them) are added to the reward miners get. After a certain amount of time, there isn't even a transaction fee anyway, so your point is moot.

Why?  Sendmany just gives more outputs, for the use we're talking about here.

This isn't a transaction fee, so your point is moot.

and I'll add that drakahn had the perfect solution for the problem here, so unless someone else here wants to talk constructively about the topic, there's no need to reply
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 03:32:51 PM

You have two choices.  Option 1, you ignore it and let the client merge transactions as needed.  Option 2, you use the raw transaction API (in the future) to manually create transactions that merge many small inputs.

Maybe someday, far into the future, the default client will support sweeping small old transactions automatically.  I wouldn't hold my breath.

By the way, I get a lot of small transactions from p2pool mining.  I'm writing a script to grab old transactions and merge them back into my wallet in even lumps.  For no particularly good reason.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: