Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 12:23:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [REVIEW] Microsoft OS Keys (Digital Goods) - Gone Bad  (Read 507 times)
CryptoDigitals (OP)

Activity: 101
Merit: 10

R.I.P CRYPTODIGITALS PASSED AWAY

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 12:00:44 AM

While this may be the wrong subthread to post in- I feel it's relevant here because this is where people come to buy keys and other digital goods.

I've purchased a few Keys of MS OS 8.1 and Win 7.  All from different sellers (3 Total).

All of the keys 'initially worked'.

1.) I purchased 5 keys from 1 seller - only used 2. Worked just fine. These still work.

- However; tried to use the remaining 3 recently- and received an invalid serial message when trying to activate.

2.) I have had keys from 2 other sellers all work fine on install and activate; but months later; a "Your software might not be genuine" - Reactivate - Failed Activation.

I just wanted to give a heads up to anyone thinking of buying Keys for software. I think MS is probably clamping down on MS Admin Accounts - noticing that keys are being abused and shutting the keys down.

I am not naming sellers; because they may have in fact not known this would happen... so they very well likely sold in good faith. But this is the reality of the keys purchased as of now.

CD

R.I.P       CryptoDigitals         Born 9-30-14       Died 4-12-15
jstarc

Activity: 86

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 12:24:39 AM

Interesting.. Thanks for the heads up Smiley

Uhuh, We don't say Names.
CryptoDigitals (OP)

Activity: 101

R.I.P CRYPTODIGITALS PASSED AWAY

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 12:37:43 AM

Interesting.. Thanks for the heads up Smiley

Yea no problem. It's not anything to get too upset about. Not a large sum of money and I wasn't relying on the keys... they were for virtual machines/sandboxing.

But I suppose just keep in mind you get what you pay for... $5 OS Keys.... Well... Smiley

CD

R.I.P       CryptoDigitals         Born 9-30-14       Died 4-12-15
master-P

Activity: 868
Merit: 1001

https://keybase.io/masterp FREE Escrow Service

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2015, 12:43:50 AM

It was inevitable, sellers were simply breaking Microsoft's terms when they decided to resell the keys for profit.

I would not be surprised if more and more of these keys become invalidated in the coming months.

Master-P's Free Escrow Service | 1% Fee for Multi-Party/Sig Campaigns | I Sign ALL of my addresses using PGP Key: https://keybase.io/masterp Verify
Tipping Address: 14PUWBwK854GLenxSa7MAuxXQUXK4DKKi5 | E-mail: masterp.bitcointalk {at} gmail {dot} com (for when/if the forum's offline)
Guide on How to Sign a Message
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: