Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:45:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: When and how did you find out about Bitcoin?  (Read 6563 times)
N12 (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 27, 2011, 01:28:52 AM

I’ve read about it on an imageboard in February and was amazed how I could’ve missed this for two whole years.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
w128

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 27, 2011, 01:52:01 AM

I’ve read about it on an imageboard in February and was amazed how I could’ve missed this for two whole years.

Reddit, last week.

I feel the same way.

I was actually looking for something like this for a long time, spending lots of time in various distributed computing projects and benchmarking/performance circles even dabbling in creative uses of OpenCL. I somehow missed on Bitcoin entirely.

I actually went back to see if I'd simply overlooked it in one of the feeds I regularly consume.

Nope.

Apparently, bitcoin discussion was pretty tightly confined. I think part of the problem is/was that a lot of people have an irrational hatred for it. In some forums, the mere mention is grounds for having your posts mocked or deleted prior to being banned.

It's fine to have the same daily, circular arguments around Intel/AMD, which Linux distribution is the most elite or spend hundreds of dollars on completely ridiculous liquid nitrogen overclocking experiments that produce nothing beyond bragging rights but talk about bitcoin and mining are completely unacceptable.
mewantsbitcoins

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 27, 2011, 01:57:18 AM

I learned about it when I was looking for a way to donate to Julian and Wikileaks.
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
May 27, 2011, 01:57:42 AM

Slashdot.  Terribly written story about 2 weeks ago.  Apparently I had missed the previous story a couple of months prior.  If I had seen it earlier I'd be fake-rich now.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
PLATO

Activity: 493
Merit: 250

Don't trust "BBOD The Best Futures Exchange"

View Profile
May 27, 2011, 01:59:41 AM

The Hidden Wiki in January, which was mentioned on The Rogan Boards

All posts by me after 2012 were a compromised account. Probably by "BBOD The Best Futures Exchange". SORRY Y'ALL
N12 (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 27, 2011, 02:10:13 AM

Apparently, bitcoin discussion was pretty tightly confined. I think part of the problem is/was that a lot of people have an irrational hatred for it. In some forums, the mere mention is grounds for having your posts mocked or deleted prior to being banned.
I’ve experienced the exact same everytime I brought up Bitcoin myself. I don’t understand where all the hate comes from … When I first heard about Bitcoin, I thought of BitTorrent technology as money system and that seemed very positive to me, all technical details aside. Searching on Google for forum discussions showed pretty much the same thing everywhere. How come this happens?

Are people really offended by alternatives because they are so deeply entrenched in this system?

Ironically, later on, people complain about early adopters being rewarded – the same early adopters who were punished for trying to introduce people to Bitcoin.
w128

View Profile
May 27, 2011, 02:10:21 AM

Slashdot.  Terribly written story about 2 weeks ago.  Apparently I had missed the previous story a couple of months prior.  If I had seen it earlier I'd be fake-rich now.

Fake-rich beats "not any kind of rich" =)

I'm actually more bothered by correctly predicting the rise or fall of a number of tech stocks like this one, this one, or this one and having cash to invest but never having the confidence to actually jump in than missing the boat on bitcoin.
kinghajj

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 27, 2011, 02:33:05 AM

I read about it in late March, probably on reddit. First I mined with my GTX 260, but soon upgraded to a 5870 and have been mining with it as much as possible (only stopping when either a damn pool or Comcrap goes down). I wish I had started with even my 260 in Feb 2010 when I got it, I would have so many more Bitcoin by now! Oh, well, some is better than none, right?
w128

View Profile
May 27, 2011, 02:33:58 AM

I’ve experienced the exact same everytime I brought up Bitcoin myself. I don’t understand where all the hate comes from … When I first heard about Bitcoin, I thought of BitTorrent technology as money system and that seemed very positive to me, all technical details aside. Searching on Google for forum discussions showed pretty much the same thing everywhere. How come this happens?

Are people really offended by alternatives because they are so deeply entrenched in this system?

Ironically, later on, people complain about early adopters being rewarded – the same early adopters who were punished for trying to introduce people to Bitcoin.

I think It's a combination of many things with plain old misunderstanding and groupthink probably being the biggest contributors in the past. Right now there's probably a growing dose of jealousy and regret mixed in there too.

At some point in the future when the concept has been broken down into spoon-feedable chunks and repeated through enough sources you'll be able to go back to the same places and have by any number of Google-powered experts tell you just how much you don't know.

Last but not least there's the bitchiness of Internet culture in general. Being positive and genuine about anything is cause for ridicule while jaded sarcasm is normal.
extracool

Activity: 15

View Profile
May 27, 2011, 02:44:58 AM

the third week of April from @RKHilbertSpace on twitter.
NicholasBell

Activity: 34

View Profile
May 27, 2011, 02:58:11 AM

One of my friends must have seen the slashdot article in February. I dismissed it for a week because he didn't describe it thoroughly (I'm pretty sure I was under the impression that it was centralized and that mining was a way of cheating the system, based on his initial description). Eventually, he posted a blog post that was much more descriptive and piqued my interest. I spent an entire day reading about it and decided to get into it. Started mining a bit. Got lucky and bought 40 of them at nearly their lowest price since I was introduced to it (about 70 cents each). Holding most of it because of ridiculous deflation but trying to use it where convenient.

tl;dr: irl friend in February.
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2011, 03:07:19 AM

One of my friends must have seen the slashdot article in February. I dismissed it for a week because he didn't describe it thoroughly (I'm pretty sure I was under the impression that it was centralized and that mining was a way of cheating the system, based on his initial description). Eventually, he posted a blog post that was much more descriptive and piqued my interest. I spent an entire day reading about it and decided to get into it. Started mining a bit. Got lucky and bought 40 of them at nearly their lowest price since I was introduced to it (about 70 cents each). Holding most of it because of ridiculous deflation but trying to use it where convenient.

tl;dr: irl friend in February.
The slashdot article in Feb for me, I ordered my first Radeon 5830 that week. 

proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
May 27, 2011, 03:19:55 AM

Bad Philosophy podcast.  Listed to it on April 19th.  Was mining the next day.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
Gilboa

Activity: 317
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2011, 03:56:16 AM

I saw posts about it on an imageboard at first but never looked into it. It was an article on lifehacker that finally peeked my interest in Bitcoin.

╓╥███╖                                   
                                  ╥████╝╙████▄                                 
                              ╓████▀         ████▄                             
                          ╥▄████                 ████▄┐                       
                      ╓█████       ┌╗████████        ╨███╥                     
                  ╓╥████╜      ╓╥███▀      ╙████▄╖       ████╥╖               
               ╥████▀       ╓▄███╜              ╙████╖      ╙████╥             
            ╓████        ╓███╝      ╥████████╖      ╙████╖      ╙███           
            ███      ╓███▀      ╥███╜         ████╥      ███╖     ██           
            ███    ╓███     ╓████                ╙███╥    ╘███    ██           
            ███   ▐██     ╥███     ╓╦▄█████▄╥┐      ╙██╕   ███    ██           
            ███   ▐██   ╓███     ╓██╜       ╙██▄     ╘██   ███    ██           
            ███    ██   ▐██    ╒██            ╙██┐    ██   ▐██    ██           
            ███    ██   ▐█▌   ╒██              ▐██    ██   ▐██    ██           
            ███    ██   ▐█▌   ╒██              ▐██    ██   ▐██    ██           
            ███    ██   ▐█    ├█▌              ▐██    ██   ▐██    ██           
            ███    ██▌  ▐█    ╘██              ▐██    ██    ██    ██           
            ███    ██▌  ▐█    ╘██              ▐██    ██    ██    ██           
            ███    ███  ▐█╕     ██╖           ▄██     ██    ██    ██           
            ███    ███  ▐██┐     ╙██▄╥╖   ╓╥███     ╓███    ██    ██           
            ███    ██▌   ▀██▄        ╙█████╜      ╥███     ███    ██           
            ███    ▀██      ████╥╖            ╓███▀     ╥▄██      ██           
            ███      ███╖      ╙█████╖     ╥████     ╓███┘       ╔██           
            ╙███╥╖      ▀███╥╖      ╙███████▀    ╓▄███       ╓╥████╝           
               ╙████╦┐     ╙╨███╥             ╥███╜       ╓████╜               
                    ████╖       ╙███╥     ╓▄██╜       ╓▄████                   
                       ╙███▄╗       ╙██████╙      ╓╦████                       
                            ████╖              ╥████                           
                               ╙████╥      ╥████▀                             
                                    ▀███████╜                                 
                                       ╩▀┘                                     
....OPUS...
Music decentralized
..Beta-ready Blockchain based Music Streaming..
  Website | Demo | Whitepaper | Coinmarketcap | Bitcointalk | Twitter | Facebook 
Try the LIVE Ethereum & IPFS beta
     Join Us ✔ Telegram ✔ Discord
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 27, 2011, 03:58:15 AM

April 2010 slashdot article.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
MemoryDealers
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1052
Merit: 1105

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2011, 04:20:10 AM

I heard about it on Free Talk Live around Dec of 2010.  (www.freetalklive.com)
I thought it was a great idea when I heard about it,  but was disappointed when it looked like almost no one was using them.
Then when I heard about the federal poker ban,  I knew that bitcoins had found their calling.
(Actually one of their many callings)

I've hardly been able to sleep since!

billyjoeallen
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1007

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2011, 04:58:06 AM

Besides Satoshi, There is another shadowy internet figure called Mencius Moldbug who writes the subversive reactionary blog Unqualified Reservations. http://unqualified-reservations.blogspot.com/
He suggested buying a few hundred bitcoins months ago. Damn, I wish I had.

insert coin here:
Dash XfXZL8WL18zzNhaAqWqEziX2bUvyJbrC8s

1Ctd7Na8qE7btyueEshAJF5C7ZqFWH11Wc
Indemnified

Activity: 216
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 27, 2011, 06:31:10 AM

A few weeks ago on the Urban Survival Daily News Update

http://urbansurvival.com/week.htm

error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 27, 2011, 06:37:36 AM

I have long since forgotten where I heard about Bitcoin.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
spenvo

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2011, 07:24:45 AM

I came in from the Security Now podcast and immediately shared Steve's enthusiasm.  His reaction to Bitcoin really encapsulated the way so many geeks feel about the topic:  total awesomeness.

twit.tv/sn287

www.SpreadtheCoin.com - Free Printable Bitcoin Certificates.  A Transparent Company.

www.BitcoinBulletin.com - Reviews and Interviews.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: