Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:55:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Shocker!: Bitcoin no longer sponsoring St. Petersburg bowl game.  (Read 912 times)
Gleb Gamow (OP)
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 01:39:22 AM

Bitcoin no longer sponsoring St. Petersburg bowl game

The Bitcoin Bowl is no more.

Sorry to just drop that bomb on you like that, but I've always been a firm believer that the best way to remove a bandage is to just rip that sucker right off. Yes, it's going to hurt, but the pain will be over sooner, and then the healing can truly begin.

Anyway, now that you've stopped crying, ESPN.com's Brett McMurphy reported on Wednesday night that Bitcoin was dropping out of its sponsorship deal with the bowl in St. Petersburg, Florida after only one year.

But what a year it was.

We'll always have our memories of the Bitcoin Bowl, which will live on from generation to generation. There will be songs written about the two touchdowns North Carolina State running back Matt Dayes scored in the third quarter to put the game out of reach, and children will be named after running back Shadrach Thornton, who defied the limits of the running back moniker and threw an 18-yard touchdown pass in the game.

And maybe one day a movie will be made about UCF's valuable comeback effort that fell just short in the 34-27 loss. I mean, if they could make two movies about the Spartans at Thermopylae, they can make one about the UCF Knights at Tropicana Field.

You were gone too soon, Bitcoin Bowl, but you shall never be forgotten.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2015, 03:02:36 AM

Not that shocking.

Considering
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 04:11:49 AM

So BitPay didn't feel like forking over another half million for limited advertising value? Makes sense to me.

freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 04:23:41 AM

So BitPay didn't feel like forking over another half million for limited advertising value? Makes sense to me.

Well its good someone kept track of it at least and mentioned it here otherwise I wouldn't have noticed
That was short, but he-he Bitpay dropped a sponsorship not Bitcoin but well I guess that was an ok tweet.

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 04:32:49 AM

There are way too many bowl games, but it was nice to see one time. 
Next up:
Super Bowl Ads!  Smiley

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 04:37:05 AM

Well its good someone kept track of it at least and mentioned it here otherwise I wouldn't have noticed
That was short, but he-he Bitpay dropped a sponsorship not Bitcoin but well I guess that was an ok tweet.

I'm surprised BitPay ever sponsored a sporting event to advertise Bitcoin. That doesn't seem like the group most likely to use Bitcoin. I know Florida is their home state though and they probably wanted to do something for the local community, which is nice I guess.

edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2015, 07:03:32 PM

I'm surprised BitPay ever sponsored a sporting event to advertise Bitcoin. That doesn't seem like the group most likely to use Bitcoin. I know Florida is their home state though and they probably wanted to do something for the local community, which is nice I guess.

Sponsoring it again wouldn't garner as much press as the first time did. It may or may not have been worth it, depending on how much their potential customers are impressed by something like that.

Still around.
juju

Activity: 381
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 07:13:49 PM

-snip-
ESPN.com's Brett McMurphy reported on Wednesday night that Bitcoin was dropping out of its sponsorship deal with the bowl in St. Petersburg, Florida after only one year.
-snip-

I've heard that the CEO of Bitcoin is a real bad ass - http://media.giphy.com/media/zqhZB6bo5FgoE/giphy.gif - (Hank Scorpio from Simpsons GIF)

Seriously, I don't really think Sports were a good venue for a Bitpay sponsorship. It would be been much more ideal for them to sponsor some e-sporting event.
silkylove

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 07:26:17 PM

Makes sense.  It was a bad marriage.  Tropicana field wouldn't let vendors accept bitcoin in the stadium and the playing field itself was a mess.  Whole thing seemed halfassed.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4464

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 07:30:32 PM

speaking as a non american that didnt get to see the superbowl.. it makes it not really international hype.

secondly. anyone got any screen shots or footage of the supposed advertising the sponsorship paid for. because some non americans are still interested in how many nano-seconds of screentime half a million dollars of bitcoin bought

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
ensurance982

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Trust me!

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 08:05:09 PM

That's not good, actually. I mean if people talk about this they will think that this "Bitcoin thingy" has gone bankrupt or whatever. Also, Bitpay really seems to be struggling these days. I just hope we're not left with a ton of companies not accepting BTC anymore if they go bust. Bitpay, you've got quite some responsibility here!!!

We Support Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP
Q7

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2015, 12:21:06 AM

I think it's probably too soon that they decided to end it. At least they should consider adding on to another year. Viewers tend to forget easily and I wonder did anybody actually comes up with a figure on what the impact of the sponsorship and the benefit it brings for that amount of money put in.

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 12:34:52 AM

I think it's probably too soon that they decided to end it. At least they should consider adding on to another year. Viewers tend to forget easily and I wonder did anybody actually comes up with a figure on what the impact of the sponsorship and the benefit it brings for that amount of money put in.

They simply might not be doing as well as they were last year and not have the extra money to spend. It's too bad they don't maintain their accounts on here anymore. They could just tell us why they aren't doing it this year. Although, I do respect them for not having an account in trollville.

Gleb Gamow (OP)
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 12:56:36 AM

http://www.wsj.com/articles/bitpay-to-sponsor-st-petersburg-bowl-in-first-major-bitcoin-sports-deal-1403098202

The annual postseason college football game played in St. Petersburg, Florida will for the next four years be known as the Bitcoin St. Petersburg Bowl as part of a sponsorship deal signed between bitcoin payment processor BitPay and ESPN Events.

The arrangement marks one of the most high-profile marketing initiatives yet for a bitcoin-related business and comes as the digital currency continues to gradually make inroads into mainstream commerce.

In an announcement Wednesday, BitPay and ESPN Events, a subsidiary of sports network ESPN, said the name change would take effect at this year's Dec. 26 game and would continue each year through the 2016 game.

McD: Welcome to McDonald's, may I take your order please?
Bitcoiner: Yes. I've order 4 Big Macs, but only give me one, throwing the other three in the garbage.
McD: No problem, sir. Would you like fries with that order?
Bitcoiner: Do I come across to you as an idiot?
McD: I'll take that as a no. Please pull up to the next window so that we can you give ONE Big Mac, and show you proof that we tossed out the other three, with six employees on staff confirming the transaction.
Bitcoiner: <to passenger Bitcoiner> What's the over/under that McD's'll fuck up this order?
dopecoindude
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

The Dude Of DopeCoin

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2015, 01:22:09 AM

Totally shocked, Totally.

It is here folks. DopeCoinGOLD . The #1 Crypto-Weed Coin.
bitcoin_bagholder

Activity: 336

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 01:41:31 AM

It's a lower-tier bowl game. Pony up bigger bucks to get sponsorship of a rose bowl caliber game.

Bitmixer sucks

Bit-X sucks
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: