Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 01:20:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: No collateral!!!  (Read 1244 times)
cshelswell (OP)

Activity: 615
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2015, 12:29:50 PM

I quite enjoy reading the lending section. Particularly because of the newbies asking g for loans. However what I'm noticing is NOBODY seems to ask for a loan having got collateral. There's a sticky that says you need it but nobody ever has any yet loans still get given.

No wonder people keep coming back asking for insecure loans. Those are the only loans given here...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jorjito25

Activity: 490

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 01:31:15 PM

I quite enjoy reading the lending section. Particularly because of the newbies asking g for loans. However what I'm noticing is NOBODY seems to ask for a loan having got collateral. There's a sticky that says you need it but nobody ever has any yet loans still get given.

No wonder people keep coming back asking for insecure loans. Those are the only loans given here...

I give loans without collateral who Im pretty sure that he repays.
I also take collateral sometimes...
--Encrypted--
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1007

hee-ho.

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 01:43:52 PM

you can pretty much calculate the allowed loan based on their rank, anyway. the chance of a Hero member defaulting a 0.1 loan are pretty slim. unless they drop dead

but if you want to feel 120% safe, then use escrow
crazyivan
Legendary

Activity: 1652

DMD Diamond Making Money 4+ years! Join us!

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 06:42:29 PM

I would never even consider giving an unsecured loan. With all these scammers around, you simply cannot trust BTC people anymore. 8 of out 10 projects are scams, this is the result of the lack of regulation.
Also, I always tend to use specialized lending websites, BTClend and similar.

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
Blazed
Casascius Addict
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1119

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2015, 07:16:56 PM

Just depends on the person asking for the loan. Several months back I asked for a 5BTC loan because my wallet machine was offline. I got the loan in 15 minutes with no collateral.
cshelswell (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2015, 08:14:47 PM

Just depends on the person asking for the loan. Several months back I asked for a 5BTC loan because my wallet machine was offline. I got the loan in 15 minutes with no collateral.

I guess there are exceptions where you've been around for a long time and have a lot of trust. Smiley

Blazed
Casascius Addict
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1119

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2015, 03:48:24 AM

I guess there are exceptions where you've been around for a long time and have a lot of trust. Smiley

I have done a few loans with no collateral and they did not have amazing trust levels...it also depends on posts.
sherbyspark

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 08:10:29 AM

you can pretty much calculate the allowed loan based on their rank, anyway. the chance of a Hero member defaulting a 0.1 loan are pretty slim. unless they drop dead

Even with that sometimes a Hero Member account may be trading with couple of other people and pulling a large one by scamming for a larger amount . That loan amount might not only be the amount he might be requesting.
--Encrypted--
Copper Member
Legendary

hee-ho.

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 09:25:58 PM

Even with that sometimes a Hero Member account may be trading with couple of other people and pulling a large one by scamming for a larger amount . That loan amount might not only be the amount he might be requesting.

that's why lenders should check a user's post history before giving them any loans.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 02:19:16 AM

I simply do not get the lending section. At. All.

If you're giving alts as collateral why not, er, sell them for BTC instead?

If you're taking the collateral, why expose yourself to alt markets that are far tinier with a much higher risk of death in return for a piffling BTC gain?

It's a section that feels like it was created long before I came along and runs by rules that everyone else seems to understand and accept bar me.
Undermood
Legendary

Activity: 950
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 03:17:52 AM

I simply do not get the lending section. At. All.

If you're giving alts as collateral why not, er, sell them for BTC instead?

If you're taking the collateral, why expose yourself to alt markets that are far tinier with a much higher risk of death in return for a piffling BTC gain?

It's a section that feels like it was created long before I came along and runs by rules that everyone else seems to understand and accept bar me.
I think why the loanee uses altcoins as collateral is that they won't liquidate their altcoins holding.

╓▄▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄╖,
         ,▄██▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▄,
        ▄████▀▀░░        ░╙▀▓███▓,
      ,███╣▒▒▒░░╓╖╖╖╖╖╖,░░░▒▒╢▓▓▓[
     ╓▓██▓▓▓███▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██▓╢▓▓▓▓
    ╖▒▓▓▓▓▓██████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▓▓▓▓▒░,
   ╫▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▒               "▓▓▓▓▓▓  ╟
  ▐▓░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓╖              ▓▓▓▓▓▓░  ]
 ,▓▓░░░░╙▓▓▓▓▓▄           ╓▓▓▓▓▓▓`░░ ▐▓▌
 ╟▓▓▌░░░ ╙▓▓▓▓▓▓         ╓▓▓▓▓▓▓░░░░╓▓▓▓
 ╟▓▓▓▓   ░`▓▓▓▓▓▓,      ╟▓▓▓▓▓╜░░░░╓▓▓▓▓
 ╙▓▓▓▓▓,░ ░ ▓▓▓▓▓▓╖   ,▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▒▒▒░╟▓▓▓▓▌
  ▓▓▓▓▓▓╖░   ╙▓▓▓▓▓▌ ╓██████▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▓`
   ╙▓▓▓▓▓▌  ░░╙▓▓▓▓▓▓█████▓▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▓
    ╙▓▓▓▓▓▓  ░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓███▓╢╣╢╢▓███▓█▀
      ▓▓▓▓▓▓@░░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██████▀
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▄░▒▒░▓▓▓▓▓▓██████▀▀
            ╙▀▀▀██████████▀▀▀`
InfinitusToken.io
███
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███

███
██ ███
██ ███
██ ███
██ ███
██ ███
██ ███
██ ███
██ ███
██ ███
██ ███
██ ███
██ ███
██ ███
██ ███
   ███
⚑⚑ Read our Whitepaper
⚑⚑ Medium ⚑⚑ Telegram
[/ta
erikalui
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 1094

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2015, 05:11:47 PM

I've seen newbies giving their forum accounts or altcoin accounts as collateral while senior members don't give any collateral but are given a loan based on their reputation or trust. The loan givers should be just careful as senior accounts can be sold as well earlier and it could be a scammer who is asking for a loan.

gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 02:57:21 AM

I think why the loanee uses altcoins as collateral is that they won't liquidate their altcoins holding.

Liquidating takes seconds on an exchange plus you don't have to pay back any interest to anyone. But what do I know? I've been cursed with that nasty logic stuff.
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2015, 04:51:41 AM

Liquidating takes seconds on an exchange plus you don't have to pay back any interest to anyone. But what do I know? I've been cursed with that nasty logic stuff.

It's not a matter or interest or time. It's "how valuable it is to them". In real world, you may use vehicle, land, buildings and all as collateral instead of selling them. Altcoins and/or accounts are valuable to borrower which makes them use it as collateral rather than selling 'em.

cshelswell (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2015, 08:03:45 PM

It's not a matter or interest or time. It's "how valuable it is to them". In real world, you may use vehicle, land, buildings and all as collateral instead of selling them. Altcoins and/or accounts are valuable to borrower which makes them use it as collateral rather than selling 'em.

I've noticed a fair few accounts used as collateral that have been hacked though. Perhaps that doesn't matter to the loaner, but don't they tend to get red flagged?

--Encrypted--
Copper Member
Legendary

hee-ho.

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 08:08:36 PM

I've noticed a fair few accounts used as collateral that have been hacked though. Perhaps that doesn't matter to the loaner, but don't they tend to get red flagged?

how do you know that the account has been hacked? if you have proof just report them to some trusted user that cares (tomatocage, quickseller, etc) and they'll get a red flag in no time. it doesn't matter if the loaner doesn't care, hacked account is still hacked account.
hua_hui
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1016

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 08:29:08 AM

how do you know that the account has been hacked? if you have proof just report them to some trusted user that cares (tomatocage, quickseller, etc) and they'll get a red flag in no time. it doesn't matter if the loaner doesn't care, hacked account is still hacked account.
Higher members account have the chance to get hacked. The hackers might use them to get as much loan as possible. So the lenders should always check their posting history whether they have pending loan. And some careful loaners will ask for the signed message from an address of the unedited posts to verify the ownership of the account!
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2015, 08:36:04 AM

Higher members account have the chance to get hacked. The hackers might use them to get as much loan as possible. So the lenders should always check their posting history whether they have pending loan. And some careful loaners will ask for the signed message from an address of the unedited posts to verify the ownership of the account!

Nowadays, most of them are makeup stories. They take advantage of "hacks" and "lack of proof of ownership" to scam people by taking loans. It has increased recently.

cshelswell (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2015, 10:52:06 AM

Nowadays, most of them are makeup stories. They take advantage of "hacks" and "lack of proof of ownership" to scam people by taking loans. It has increased recently.

Yeah well that's what i'm noticing, so many loans seem to result in the loaner losing out.

Dotakels

Activity: 490
Merit: 255

View Profile
April 22, 2015, 07:15:07 AM

If he/she loan to you or have a debt you should have to put collateral so that you can assure that she/he can pay to you . Business is business even if the people have loan to you or have debt to you are your relatives make or put an collateral.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: