Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 09:08:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: New users flooding this forum  (Read 3742 times)
Spekulatius (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 08:58:09 PM

Is it just me or keep new users flooding into the Speculation forum lately?

This is just my impression, but forum stats seem to support my feeling:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=stats

So hands up! Who is new here and why did you sign up?
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
salty

Activity: 562
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 09:05:44 PM

I'm new and I signed up because I wanted to start exchanging btc face to face, plus sell anything I can make or source locally. I'm trying to build up some btc balance it's my latest interest.
salty

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 09:07:43 PM

Oh yeah and the speculation board is definitely one of the most entertaining
waspoza

Activity: 602
Merit: 508

Firstbits: 1waspoza

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 09:09:07 PM

Oh yeah and the speculation board is definitely one of the most entertaining

Yeah we have cookies and secret rockets.
Yuhfhrh

Activity: 238

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 09:11:00 PM

I'm fairly new... I just picked up bitcoin as a side hobby a few months ago and find all the speculation fun! ^.^
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2012, 09:16:04 PM

s
o
c
k
p
u
p
p
e
t
s
/thread
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 09:19:00 PM

s
o
c
k
p
u
p
p
e
t
s
/thread

cool story

enjoy your denial

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2012, 09:19:59 PM

s
o
c
k
p
u
p
p
e
t
s
/thread

cool story

enjoy your denial

enjoy yours too.  Cheesy

I'm not saying they are all sockpuppets. But if somebody finds his way here after just 10-20 posts that is highly suspicious. Even more so if they appear to have a certain attitude... It just fits well together. People just don't wanna damage the reputation of their main account but they surely make new ones in order to squeeze the last sucker out using shitposting.
zby
Legendary

Activity: 1592
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 09:44:25 PM

Is it just me or keep new users flooding into the Speculation forum lately?

This is just my impression, but forum stats seem to support my feeling:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=stats

So hands up! Who is new here and why did you sign up?

I don't see any increase in new users registered - it is the same a little about 1000 users per half month as has been for the last half a year.
salty

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 09:53:01 PM

s
o
c
k
p
u
p
p
e
t
s
/thread

cool story

enjoy your denial

enjoy yours too.  Cheesy

I'm not saying they are all sockpuppets. But if somebody finds his way here after just 10-20 posts that is highly suspicious. Even more so if they appear to have a certain attitude... It just fits well together. People just don't wanna damage the reputation of their main account but they surely make new ones in order to squeeze the last sucker out using shitposting.

Oh look *there's an ignore button too!*
thezerg
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 10:05:33 PM

I joined in april/may.  When I first heard about bitcoin during the bubble last year I took a quick glance and while I didn't exactly think "bubble" I knew I had missed the opportunity.  I was getting very afraid about the long term stability of certain fiat currencies and banks.  I am not a doomsayer; I'm not worried about "hyper" inflation... inflation like in the 70's in USA (10-20%) will be bad enough.  But I took a quick look at gold/silver and realized that I'd missed that opportunity :-(.

Then I did not bother to investigate for months because of the SR stigma.  When Scientific American ran a page on it as one of the greatest ideas of the decade or something, I decided to give it another look and was pleasantly surprised to see the price down below 5 bucks, a solid codebase, and a vibrant community.

electicmucus: re sockpuppets -- you are completely missing how the geopolitical climate is causing people to diversify in certain ways.  "sockpuppets" don't have the fiat to cause this rally -- they would have bought already.  Bitcoin is so small that a bunch of people deciding to put .1 to .5% of their net worth into it (just in case) will have a big effect on the price, but essentially no effect on the lifestyles of those people should BTC tank.

bitcon
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1008

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 10:26:23 PM

if it does tank again, it will give ppl a 3rd chance at being early adopters
Spekulatius (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 10:32:47 PM
Last edit: August 16, 2012, 11:27:37 PM by Spekulatius

So you think the average bitcointalk user grows an interest in speculating on bitcoin price post by post and ends up in this subforum after >100 posts and hours strolling the other subforums on here??

Let me tell you I only made 1 post in the newbe section and was then whitelisted to make my first post in this very speculation forum(>> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=35083.0).

To me speculation or wealth preservance/diversification is one of the major incentives to take a look at bitcoin. So no suprise a good chunk of new users flock to this forum (especially when price goes up).
Chalkbot
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 10:44:12 PM

I'm new. Not a sockpuppet, just enjoy trading during the workday and come here to get a pulse on the current attitude toward bitcoin.

In the past I've done stock market trading and betting on the UFC as my daytime leisure activity. Trading bitcoins is much more accessible and often just as exciting, so that's where most of my attention is these days.
SaintFlow

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

The first is by definition not flawed.

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 10:47:53 PM

s
o
c
k
p
u
p
p
e
t
s
/thread

cool story

enjoy your denial

enjoy yours too.  Cheesy

Why?

When I was new some time ago I lurked a lot before I signed up. But when I did I came quickly to speculation to tell Proudhon to take his neegativity elsewhere. Not that he listened

don't let me make you question your assumptions
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 01:53:34 AM

Linear growth at about 2000 users per month over the past 12 months.

It's not really what I'd consider an exciting growth rate, considering it'd take over 40 years to add just 1 Million users at that rate.

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
notme
Legendary

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 01:57:38 AM

It's not really what I'd consider an exciting growth rate, considering it'd take over 40 years to add just 1 Million users at that rate.

Good thing there are a lot of bitcoiners who have never been here, and a lot who have, but never signed up.

julz
Legendary

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 01:59:06 AM

Good thing there are a lot of bitcoiners who have never been here, and a lot who have, but never signed up.

Yes, I believe that to be so too - but it's the linear growth which is unexciting. If the forums are growing linearly - then I expect the whole bitcoin ecosystem is also only growing linearly.

notme
Legendary

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 02:01:00 AM

Yes, I believe that to be so too - but it's the linear growth which is unexciting. If the forums are growing linearly - then I expect the whole bitcoin ecosystem is also only growing linearly.

This doesn't look very linear and other wallet sites are seeing similar figures:
http://blockchain.info/charts/my-wallet-n-users

julz
Legendary

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 02:08:56 AM

This doesn't look very linear and other wallet sites are seeing similar figures:
http://blockchain.info/charts/my-wallet-n-users

Nice.. but a little too early in the life of the blockchain wallet to be drawing much of a conclusion from that pattern I think.
FWIW - I set up over 5 blockchain wallets, but only one bitcointalk account.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: