Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 11:08:40 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: For sale: 10g gold cube  (Read 5564 times)
duid88

Activity: 209
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 06:57:35 AM

I don't think this would be a very safe transaction, even with the use of escrow. Even if a buyer was able to sufficiently detect if this is real gold or not (I would think that most people are not) then there is a very high chance there will be some kind of dispute that the escrow will need to mediate and physical goods are difficult to escrow when both of the parties are not reputable because it is very difficult to tell who is telling the truth and to evaluate how credible evidence that both parties present

why did you ruin my id arbitrarily try to explain, what do you mean
markj113
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1043

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 07:13:01 AM

is the cube stamped with the gold purity or just "10g"

Ashwell John

Activity: 185
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 10:40:00 AM

I always prefer payment directly than escrow. In escrow there is some problem or hesitation I feel. In this case both of the person needs to be well reputed and faithful.

bitmarket.io
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2015, 11:02:22 AM

lol that's cute but i dunno about the purity Smiley
markj113
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1043

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 11:10:35 AM

purity looks to to be .995 -

https://instagram.com/p/y5m2z5HDeG/

EvBitcoinFan (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 04:12:29 PM

Correct. I will send first to a trusted member and preferably if you have an active twitter account, we can follow each other there as well during the course of the transaction.

cyclops
Legendary

Activity: 1162

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 07:01:40 PM

Correct. I will send first to a trusted member and preferably if you have an active twitter account, we can follow each other there as well during the course of the transaction.

I would only buy it, if you split it in half and there is no tungsten inside. That's why now, the safer way of buying gold is getting some coins from a reputable mint (Royal Canadian Mint for example) (although these can also be faked).
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 1723

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 07:27:17 PM

This is the reason why I never bought physical Gold before because there is almost no way to tell if what you received is actually Gold.

TookDk
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1062

One coin to rule them all

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2015, 08:45:16 PM

This is the reason why I never bought physical Gold before because there is almost no way to tell if what you received is actually Gold.

If you stick to coins minted by a governmental mint (like cyclops mentioned) and leave aside bars, jewelry and weird cubes, then are there safe methods to test your gold.
But you need experience, so I you don't have that, then stay away from the gold 2nd market.

Cryptography is one of the few things you can truly trust.
cyclops
Legendary

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 09:01:35 PM

If you stick to coins minted by a governmental mint (like cyclops mentioned) and leave aside bars, jewelry and weird cubes, then are there safe methods to test your gold.
But you need experience, so I you don't have that, then stay away from the gold 2nd market.

The only problem is when you have to cut the coin in half in order to check that it is not made of tungsten...  Cry
digicoinuser
Legendary

Activity: 2744
Merit: 1072

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 09:06:19 PM

I would at least go to a Jeweler/Gold Buyer for an opinion, they may give you more.   Wink

TookDk
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2015, 09:10:58 PM

The only problem is when you have to cut the coin in half in order to check that it is not made of tungsten...  Cry

If you are going down the destructive route then is a small drill also an option.

There are alternative none-destructive routes (two first will only apply to governmental issued coins):
Ping-test (require experience)
Inspection (require experience)
X-RAY (require experience and equipment)
Ultrasound (require experience and equipment)

cyclops
Legendary

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 09:13:59 PM

The only problem is when you have to cut the coin in half in order to check that it is not made of tungsten...  Cry

If you are going down the destructive route then is a small drill also an option.

There are alternative none-destructive routes (two first will only apply to governmental issued coins):

Great to know!

Add the option of just melting it and minting the coin again Tongue
TookDk
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2015, 09:22:44 PM

Great to know!

Add the option of just melting it and minting the coin again Tongue

Gold is gold, if you have real gold, then can you sell for close to spot price.

I don't know how it works in other countries, but in Denmark/Sweden, then can you send in your scrap gold at many Jeweler stores and get cash back within 2 weeks (as digicoinuser mentioned).
I believe they they just melt it and test the purity. They always discard the stones, so if you have a Jewel with a stone you might as well pick that one out your self.
They take coins as well, but you might as well go to a bullion dealer with your coin, then will you get cash in hand right away.

Some stores might reject you in the door if the metal is not stamped with the purity, I believe that is why Mark asked about that.

miffman
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1005

PGP ID: 78B7B84D

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 10:28:55 PM

Can you not try to get them hallmarked?

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
BitBlender 

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
Bobsurplus
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

Making money since I was in the womb! @emc2whale

View Profile
April 04, 2015, 11:26:37 PM

I think it's neat.

Would love to know the purity though.
snarlpill

Activity: 910
Merit: 530

$5 24k Gold FREE 4 sign-up! Mene.com/invite/h5ZRRP

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2015, 11:57:04 PM

You can also do a specific gravity test in the mostly non-destructive list, though tungsten's specific gravity is close to gold's, so you need a highly accurate scale to be confident. Best used combined with the Ping Test, measurements, weight, etc.

In this case if I were considering buying this gold cube, I would probably contact BitGold and check their credentials and see what they have to say, and ask if they sold/gave one to OP.

TookDk
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2015, 12:31:32 AM

Does anybody (beside OP) have any experience with bitgold.com?
Read the homepage, the concept is great, but for obvious reason is trust an issue if dealing with this company.

EvBitcoinFan (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 04:34:23 AM

Read the homepage, the concept is great, but for obvious reason is trust an issue if dealing with this company.

They are a start up. Maybe reach out to the multiple venture capital companies listed on their website homepage?
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 2339

View Profile
April 05, 2015, 04:52:42 AM

They are a start up. Maybe reach out to the multiple venture capital companies listed on their website homepage?

It sounds like there is a good possibility that you are a shill for bitgold. I am going to speculate that you don't hope that anyone buys from you, but rather you are hoping that people see your thread and decide to buy from bitgold and receive either nothing or a fake.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: