Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 07:02:42 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it true that Bitcoin is going to hit $100?  (Read 1978 times)
alpha523

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 03:59:14 PM

Do the math. Currently running a single machine, mining is barly worth it. In december I can see the price nearly doubling. This is because the mining rate is going to be halved. Now tell me who is going to mine bitcoins and lose money? Nobody. If it isnt profitable, they wont do it. That will either cause them to crash or have a huge price spike.
drakahn

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 04:01:55 PM

Do the math. Currently running a single machine, mining is barly worth it. In december I can see the price nearly doubling. This is because the mining rate is going to be halved. Now tell me who is going to mine bitcoins and lose money? Nobody. If it isnt profitable, they wont do it. That will either cause them to crash or have a huge price spike.
... if the price doubles then mining will be exactly as profitable as it was before ...
Now, if butterfly delivers on the ASICS, i doubt there will be many gpu's going next year.

14ga8dJ6NGpiwQkNTXg7KzwozasfaXNfEU
freeAgent

Activity: 240
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 04:04:23 PM

The only way I see that happening any time soon is if there's a major currency collapse which affects the dollar's value.  The Euro could collapse, but that would also push people to dollars, which would possibly decrease the $/BTC exchange rate.
alpha523

Activity: 46

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 04:15:46 PM

... if the price doubles then mining will be exactly as profitable as it was before ...
Now, if butterfly delivers on the ASICS, i doubt there will be many gpu's going next year.
Not if the rate you get coins is halved, and you are using the same amount of power.
drakahn

Activity: 504

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 04:18:51 PM

Not if the rate you get coins is halved, and you are using the same amount of power.
... what? lol
okay, so block reward is 50BTC and they cost $10 each (for the sake of argument) - mining 1 bitcoin per day gets you $10
Then, block reward is 25BTC, price doubles to $20, the same hardware now gets 0.5BTC per day which is $10...

Of course, it won't be like that, there is nothing to even say the price will magically double because new supply is lower

14ga8dJ6NGpiwQkNTXg7KzwozasfaXNfEU
goodlord666

Activity: 434

100%

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 04:39:17 PM

absolutely true.
question is when.

rocks
Legendary

Activity: 1153
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 05:00:19 PM

Yes, but then the FED and US Gov will throw 0.0001% of their computing power in Nevada at the network and bring it down.
drewoflorton

Activity: 22

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 07:47:22 PM

Yes. And given a few more years, I can also see it hitting over $1000.

Here's why: Bitcoin has everything to become a new major worldwide money & payment standard. It has enormous benefits (e.g. see here or here) and greatly fits with the uprise of information technology and the integration of internet in our everyday lives. At the same time, banks and governments are trying hard to destroy our existing euro and dollar based economy, undermining it with ridiculous credits, loans, creation of money out of thin air by the billions, and covering debts with even greater debts, ad infinitum.

Now, do the math: how much do you think is one 21millionth of the global economy (at least the part that deals in BTC) worth?

Sure, banks will disapprove. They see their old-fashioned wealth, monopolistic position, power and privileges melt away. Well, tough luck. It's the age of the internet, we don't need banks anymore to handle our wealth and payments. They can't put the genie back in the bottle.

The times they are a changin'.  Cheesy
Domrada

Activity: 254

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2012, 09:23:48 PM

When the user base is 10x the size it is now, the price should hit $100 easily.  I don't think that's unrealistic. We would only need less than a million users.

DataTrading
TRADE FORECASTING BY ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
¦
PRE-SALE SPECIAL  30%  BONUS   
Pre sale starts on 11.20.2017 9:00 UTC
danster82

Activity: 43

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 09:35:44 PM

easy its only roughly a 1billion market cap which in the scheme of things is tiny.

If bitcoin is going to become an alternative international currency then its going much higher than that also.
live627

Activity: 574

View Profile
August 18, 2012, 02:04:09 AM

google it, brings many results.
bitcoinsydney

Activity: 27

View Profile
August 18, 2012, 02:08:29 AM

Depends on what pirateat40 wants Smiley