Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:51:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BITOIN CLIENT MALFUNCTIONED....?  (Read 860 times)
BCWARRIOR (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 02:45:04 PM

Hello guys, yeah the problem is the blockchain isn't updating, my wallet won't process the order, is it possible my client has malfunctioned...It's not acknowledging the transaction. The address i entered is correct, it seem some kind of error has occured..Do people loose coins from not having there client updated..This is the first time iv'e sent coins to this wallet...Any suggestions on how this issue could be solved would be awesome, im desperate for my coins...

Thanks Guys

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BCWARRIOR (OP)

View Profile
August 18, 2012, 10:20:50 AM

Come on guys..there must be someone in the BC community, who has knowledge on this problem..
scintill

Activity: 448
Merit: 254

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2012, 11:20:56 AM

To see if the transaction made it out to the network, go to http://blockchain.info/address/<address> (replacing <address> with the address from your wallet that you had the coins sent to.)

As for blockchain updating, what icon(s) do you have in the bottom right-hand corner of the client?

1SCiN5kqkAbxxwesKMsH9GvyWnWP5YK2W | donations
memvola

Activity: 938
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 18, 2012, 11:44:43 AM

Come on guys..there must be someone in the BC community, who has knowledge on this problem..

Like scintill said, first you need to figure out whether the transaction made it to the network.

Assuming it did, and you still have the wallet that generated that address, there is no need to worry. It can all be explained by block chain not updating. Even if your client never works, you can still access the coins because you have the private key in your wallet.

First, back up your wallet. Second, check if you have free space and you have connections. If you don't have any connections to the network, try removing addr.dat and try launching the client again. If you have connections and free space, report back. Wink
BCWARRIOR (OP)

View Profile
August 18, 2012, 01:38:53 PM

To see if the transaction made it out to the network, go to http://blockchain.info/address/<address> (replacing <address> with the address from your wallet that you had the coins sent to.)

As for blockchain updating, what icon(s) do you have in the bottom right-hand corner of the client?

Ok yes i checked the transaction and it succesfully made it out of the network, i have two icons at the bottom of my wallet, one indicates active connections, when i hover over that specific icon it states i have 8 active connections, also there is a circular icon rotating which indicates the catching up process, thats the problem it isnt catching up, therefore not displaying the confirmation of the transaction..

Like scintill said, first you need to figure out whether the transaction made it to the network.

Assuming it did, and you still have the wallet that generated that address, there is no need to worry. It can all be explained by block chain not updating. Even if your client never works, you can still access the coins because you have the private key in your wallet.

First, back up your wallet. Second, check if you have free space and you have connections. If you don't have any connections to the network, try removing addr.dat and try launching the client again. If you have connections and free space, report back. Wink

Ok how exactly can it be explained through the block chain not updating? Also how can i locate the coins using my clients private key?(where do i locate the private key also) You instructed me to Back Up my wallet...How do i do this? I'm assuming you check for connections by hovering over the icon at bottom of wallet page..Sorry about the million questions but im lost and desperate for these coins..
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
August 18, 2012, 02:04:55 PM

If the blockchain is not up to date it's normal the transaction isn't showing in your client.
When the blockchain download reaches the block where the transaction got included you'll see transaction appear.
memvola

View Profile
August 18, 2012, 02:09:19 PM

Ok how exactly can it be explained through the block chain not updating? Also how can i locate the coins using my clients private key?(where do i locate the private key also) You instructed me to Back Up my wallet...How do i do this? I'm assuming you check for connections by hovering over the icon at bottom of wallet page..Sorry about the million questions but im lost and desperate for these coins..

If you have seen the transaction at blockchain.info with confirmations, there's no need to panic. After you close the client, find your wallet.dat file and make a few copies of it to secure locations. It's located in Bitcoin's data directory:

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Securing_your_wallet#Locating_Bitcoin.27s_data_directory

I'll feel safer when you do that, because if that file is accidentally deleted, your coins will be lost forever.

The blockchain has the transaction information and your client doesn't know it until it downloads that block. The wallet file doesn't contain your coins, it contains the keys that you need to access your coins.

The download might not be stuck but very slowly advancing, so it would be wise to follow which block it's stuck at. The chain is more than 2 gigabytes now, so it might take some hours to complete. Hover on the rotating arrows icon to see if it's advancing.

It might be stuck because you don't have enough space in your drive. It might also be stuck because it got corrupt somehow. If you are absolutely sure it isn't advancing, then you can delete everything in your data directory (except wallet.dat) and start from scratch.

EDIT: If you decide to give up and change your client, you can extract your private keys from command line and import them to another client. I suggest Electrum, because you still get to keep your coins on the computer but don't have to store the block chain.
BCWARRIOR (OP)

View Profile
August 18, 2012, 03:02:41 PM

If you have seen the transaction at blockchain.info with confirmations, there's no need to panic. After you close the client, find your wallet.dat file and make a few copies of it to secure locations. It's located in Bitcoin's data directory:

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Securing_your_wallet#Locating_Bitcoin.27s_data_directory

I'll feel safer when you do that, because if that file is accidentally deleted, your coins will be lost forever.

The blockchain has the transaction information and your client doesn't know it until it downloads that block. The wallet file doesn't contain your coins, it contains the keys that you need to access your coins.

The download might not be stuck but very slowly advancing, so it would be wise to follow which block it's stuck at. The chain is more than 2 gigabytes now, so it might take some hours to complete. Hover on the rotating arrows icon to see if it's advancing.

It might be stuck because you don't have enough space in your drive. It might also be stuck because it got corrupt somehow. If you are absolutely sure it isn't advancing, then you can delete everything in your data directory (except wallet.dat) and start from scratch.

EDIT: If you decide to give up and change your client, you can extract your private keys from command line and import them to another client. I suggest Electrum, because you still get to keep your coins on the computer but don't have to store the block chain.

Ok i've succesfully saved my wallet data in a secure location..I'm certain it's not advancing,you suggested deleting everything in my data directory and start from scratch..I have no idea what this means..How do i do this..? Also how does this benefit the situation..? What happens to my client..?
memvola

View Profile
August 18, 2012, 03:12:19 PM

Ok i've succesfully saved my wallet data in a secure location..I'm certain it's not advancing,you suggested deleting everything in my data directory and start from scratch..I have no idea what this means..How do i do this..? Also how does this benefit the situation..? What happens to my client..?

The data directory is where you found your wallet file. It also has the blockchain. If you delete it, the client will be forced to download it from scratch.

The program resides in the installation directory, so you don't have to do anything about it other than shutting it down before deleting the data (except wallet.dat). Though, while at it, I'd update the client to the newest version if you haven't already done so.
BCWARRIOR (OP)

View Profile
August 18, 2012, 03:46:58 PM

Ok so i have deleted the data directory, now i need to wait to allow the client to dowload everything and funds will appear..?

Appreciate the help
memvola

View Profile
August 18, 2012, 10:16:48 PM

Ok so i have deleted the data directory, now i need to wait to allow the client to dowload everything and funds will appear..?

Yes, assuming you left wallet.dat in the data directory, you have enough free space on your drive and it downloads the block chain properly this time.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: