Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:00:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Savings & Trust closing! Effect on market?  (Read 15681 times)
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 07:39:13 PM

Pirate knows his announcement is going to drop the price drastically... and his assets are in fiat. Drop the market, buy it back as people freak out, refund on Monday with the BTC you purchased... profit.

he is only half as clever as he thinks he is.
i predict some people are not getting their money back. he messed up in some fashion.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Rygon

Activity: 520
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 07:42:44 PM

Pirate knows his announcement is going to drop the price drastically... and his assets are in fiat. Drop the market, buy it back as people freak out, refund on Monday with the BTC you purchased... profit.

As long as he can manage to pay everyone back, then that's fine with me. I hope we are all laughing about this in a few weeks, and the market returns back to something resembling stability.
Coin.Karma

Activity: 189
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 07:44:44 PM

the market is gonna crash as lot of people who took loans and filled the pirate fund would be selling out.....
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 07:50:40 PM

The market will crash a bit (already is), but it'll rebound again too.  And I'll be buying in the meantime.  Wink
Grinder
Legendary

Activity: 1284
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 07:59:45 PM

This is pretty clever. He sets up a seemingly obvious scam which probably very few people sends money to, takes huge bets that it will default, and then closes the fund and wins the bets.
omehenk

Activity: 278
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 08:01:45 PM

The market will crash a bit (already is), but it'll rebound again too.  And I'll be buying in the meantime.  Wink

Am on board....buy  ,  BUYYYYYYYYYY .............. Kiss   Kiss

Yuhfhrh

Activity: 238

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 08:03:50 PM

Am on board....buy  ,  BUYYYYYYYYYY .............. Kiss   Kiss

We are going back to the single digits baby!
Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 08:16:16 PM

the market is gonna crash as lot of people who took loans and filled the pirate fund would be selling out.....

took loans and filled the pirate fund ??

*facepalm*
mp420

Activity: 501
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 08:18:42 PM

I honestly don't know. I for one am neither buying nor selling until the whole BS&T ordeal has played out.

I thought we'd get a bigger bubble. Actually we might see that yet.
ineededausername

Activity: 784

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 08:19:25 PM

So many people are going to start buying soon.  This is an insane buying opportunity.

The price went to $15 because of real demand.  You can see it in the charts-- we've had quite a few record volume days.  This too shall pass.

(BFL)^2 < 0
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 08:21:42 PM

This too shall pass.

Truer words never spoken: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_too_shall_pass
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 08:30:53 PM

Wow....press release 2 days ago on PPT's.....

Bitlane complains about withdraw.....

Pirate shits his pants....

Ponzi revealed.......well we will find out soon enough for sure now won't we.....

As I have said....mark my works "someone will get burned in all of these PPTs"

Cheesy

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Indemnified

Activity: 216

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 08:35:12 PM

Assuming he does pay everything back ...

All indicators are for downward movement, by my reconing.

Unless your initial assumption is wrong. In that case, people will own 100Ks of BTC less than they thought.

yes, that would be the brutal thing.  Leverage all your fiat to buy high yielding BTC......aaaaaand it's gone.  That would remove a lot of buyers from ever coming back. 

Like they always say, "Don't invest more than you are prepared to lose"

I have no direct exsposure to Pirate, anybody else clean of this mess with me?

Me as well.  I would have loved to have rode the gravy train if it ends up paying out......but 7% just seemed too fishy. 

Never went near it. Learned my (bitter) lessons years ago when e-gold was king.
dust

Activity: 840

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2012, 09:08:12 PM

This is pretty clever. He sets up a seemingly obvious scam which probably very few people sends money to, takes huge bets that it will default, and then closes the fund and wins the bets.
The 5000BTC bet is tiny compared to the coins he took in (500,000+) and interest he paid out (tens of thousands of BTC/week)

Cryptocoin Mining Info | OTC | PGP | Twitter | freenode: dust-otc | BTC: 1F6fV4U2xnpAuKtmQD6BWpK3EuRosKzF8U
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2012, 09:22:26 PM

Classic ponzi, with a  classic ponzi closing statement. I doubt anyone who hasn't already pulled their money out will get much, if anything, back. As for the effect, I expect some panic from people being upset about being scammed, and the overall negative view of this whole thing by everyone else, but I don't think it will affect the overall economy/price much.

BTW, this exact same thing happened on SecondLife with a Ginko Bank investment thing, too. Same deal with return rates, closing statement about money locked up in other assets, and eventually, after many excuses, complete collapse/closing of the "bank."
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 09:24:47 PM

Classic ponzi, with a  classic ponzi closing statement. I doubt anyone who hasn't already pulled their money out will get much, if anything, back. As for the effect, I expect some panic from people being upset about being scammed, and the overall negative view of this whole thing by everyone else, but I don't think it will affect the overall economy/price much.

BTW, this exact same thing happened on SecondLife with a Ginko Bank investment thing, too. Same deal with return rates, closing statement about money locked up in other assets, and eventually, after many excuses, complete collapse/closing of the "bank."

Why post the same thing on every thread?

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
ruski

Activity: 350

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 09:34:51 PM

Assuming he does pay everything back ...

All indicators are for downward movement, by my reconing.

Unless your initial assumption is wrong. In that case, people will own 100Ks of BTC less than they thought.

yes, that would be the brutal thing.  Leverage all your fiat to buy high yielding BTC......aaaaaand it's gone.  That would remove a lot of buyers from ever coming back. 

Like they always say, "Don't invest more than you are prepared to lose"

I have no direct exsposure to Pirate, anybody else clean of this mess with me?

Roger, no exposure at all. BTC by itself has been exceeding 7% a week, why take the risk of being scammed?

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 09:40:03 PM

Why post the same thing on every thread?

Why does it matter?

How much BTC do you have invested with Pirate or a PPT? Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

thezerg
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 09:46:22 PM

Is it really?  I would have guessed there would be these possibilities:

1. See ya!  (if you can find me)

2. Due to market conditions I lost X% of your principal (recognize I NEVER said it was without risk).  So your payout will be commensurate.

His closing post contains a promise to pay in full plus interest (ok its not totally cleanly said, but regardless).  Could that be used against him legally... as opposed to email #2.

The professionalism here actually surprised me.  I always assumed that the Vegas meeting with his cronies was to orchestrate the closeout and getaway plans.  Some things can only be done face 2 face.  If we find it is a ponzi, this posting is a fascinating insight into these people's psychology.
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2012, 09:46:52 PM

If this price drop was another short pirate orchestration....then that´s absolutely genius
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: