Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:09:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin takes the west coast!  (Read 1222 times)
RodeoX (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 06:50:57 PM

I thought I would take a trip last week to the west cost and see what the BTC community is doing. I do this a lot when I travel and I'm always surprised to see how rapidly adoption is taking place world wide. San Fransisco and Los Angeles did not disappoint.

In SF I stayed with friends who live in high rise across the street from Twitter.  I found about 10 places I could walk to and spend my BTC. There was also a huge billboard on a building downtown that said something about bitcoin and appeared to be paid for by PayPal.  Anybody know WTF that was?  Additionally, most every person I talked with knew what BTC was and had considered using/taking them. It was as common as the smell of weed in SF.

Next I flew to LA and found the same thing. The in-flight magazine had a piece on BTC and the "Winkelvi" I visited a friend who works in the movie business and lives in an art colony called “the brewery”. He has some BTC and said that an increasing number of his neighbors are hip to it.  I found bars, shops and all sorts of places. For example the day spa in the picture below near Hollywood and Vine. The perception of people who had heard of bitcoin was very positive even if they had not used them.

I flew back just in time to watch Wisconsin beat Kentucky in NCAA basketball. I had to get a T-shrt to celebrate and when I asked the street vendor if he knew what a Bitcoin was he said “Oh yes, that's that money from the future. We will all be using it then”,

These are good times brothers!

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1561

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2015, 08:43:20 PM

Nice story. Thanks for sharing.

Out of curiosity:

I found about 10 places I could walk to and spend my BTC

Have you found those places randomly, just by walking around the town, or did you look them up (ie on CoinMap)?

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
juju

Activity: 381
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 09:19:12 PM

I saw that Braintree Bitcoin bilboard, SF certainly does have a number of places that accept BTC. (Not quite enough to randomly walk around and find them)

Was this basically what you saw: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CBdk1zAUsAEllD9.jpg:large

I think their are two or three of these located throughout SF. I know their was one on Lombard Street for a few months. A number of the food Trucks around Market District also accept Bitcoin.

I haven't been down to LA or San Diego this year, but I imagine they are probably further behind SF in regards to adoption. I get a strong feeling that SF is quickly becoming the first/official Bitcoin hotspot. Almost every reputable Bitcoin Startup hiring is looking for people in SF. Kinda funny but I was having lunch about 4 Months ago and saw Gavin + several other Bitcoiners stop in for a bite to eat.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 09:24:32 PM

You didn't know that about SF? It's kind of been ground zero for Bitcoin since the beginning. The first time I put names to faces for the people on this forum was at The Future of Money & Technology Summit in Feburary 2011 at the Kabuki in SF. I still have the pictures somewhere. I got to meet Tony Gallippi, Jered Kenna and all the big names at the time. I hope you got to go to Cup and Cakes bakery for some of the best cupcakes in the world available for Bitcoin. Coinbase is located over near AT&T Park. Too bad I didn't know you were going I would have taken you to The Boulevard on embarcadero for lunch (I get a discount because my brother-in-law works there lol).

countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 10:59:09 PM

Thanks for info. It's nice to know some places are more advanced than others. California has always been quick to adopt new technologies... But it can be as fast forgetting them.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 10:59:53 PM

Well, guess you lived the dream Cheesy I wish it was like that around Europe... Not many places accepting Bitcoin, except in Holland and some in France, for example... But it's not an utopia anymore to think that many places will accept BTC soon Smiley
Undermood
Legendary

Activity: 950
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 01:05:20 AM

Well, guess you lived the dream Cheesy I wish it was like that around Europe... Not many places accepting Bitcoin, except in Holland and some in France, for example... But it's not an utopia anymore to think that many places will accept BTC soon
It seems that only a few places are as OP stated. It is disppointed that many countries are banning bitcoin. 

╓▄▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄╖,
         ,▄██▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▄,
        ▄████▀▀░░        ░╙▀▓███▓,
      ,███╣▒▒▒░░╓╖╖╖╖╖╖,░░░▒▒╢▓▓▓[
     ╓▓██▓▓▓███▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██▓╢▓▓▓▓
    ╖▒▓▓▓▓▓██████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▓▓▓▓▒░,
   ╫▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▒               "▓▓▓▓▓▓  ╟
  ▐▓░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓╖              ▓▓▓▓▓▓░  ]
 ,▓▓░░░░╙▓▓▓▓▓▄           ╓▓▓▓▓▓▓`░░ ▐▓▌
 ╟▓▓▌░░░ ╙▓▓▓▓▓▓         ╓▓▓▓▓▓▓░░░░╓▓▓▓
 ╟▓▓▓▓   ░`▓▓▓▓▓▓,      ╟▓▓▓▓▓╜░░░░╓▓▓▓▓
 ╙▓▓▓▓▓,░ ░ ▓▓▓▓▓▓╖   ,▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▒▒▒░╟▓▓▓▓▌
  ▓▓▓▓▓▓╖░   ╙▓▓▓▓▓▌ ╓██████▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▓`
   ╙▓▓▓▓▓▌  ░░╙▓▓▓▓▓▓█████▓▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▓
    ╙▓▓▓▓▓▓  ░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓███▓╢╣╢╢▓███▓█▀
      ▓▓▓▓▓▓@░░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██████▀
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▄░▒▒░▓▓▓▓▓▓██████▀▀
            ╙▀▀▀██████████▀▀▀`
InfinitusToken.io
███
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███ ██
███

███
██ ███
██ ███
██ ███
██ ███
██ ███
██ ███
██ ███
██ ███
██ ███
██ ███
██ ███
██ ███
██ ███
██ ███
   ███
⚑⚑ Read our Whitepaper
⚑⚑ Medium ⚑⚑ Telegram
[/ta
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 02:16:27 AM

I was in LA last fall and a quick search revealed a lot of places to use it. San Francisco in the US and Vancouver in Canada are the hot spots in the west right now. Tampa Bay in Florida is starting to catch on as well.

Miracal

Activity: 350

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 02:30:28 AM

Well, guess you lived the dream Cheesy I wish it was like that around Europe... Not many places accepting Bitcoin, except in Holland and some in France, for example... But it's not an utopia anymore to think that many places will accept BTC soon
It seems that only a few places are as OP stated. It is disppointing that many countries are banning bitcoin. 
BitcoinNewbie15

Activity: 574
Merit: 296

Bitcoin isn't a bubble. It's the pin!

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 04:14:29 AM

Wow i didnt know BTC was that common in the west! Nice!
RodeoX (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 03:51:53 PM

... Have you found those places randomly, just by walking around the town, or did you look them up (ie on CoinMap)?
Ah yes. I used coinmap. And I did not visit all them. But it was cool to walk down the street and know that if I need dry cleaning I could pay with BTC.

Was this basically what you saw: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CBdk1zAUsAEllD9.jpg:large
That is not the exact one, but it is surely related. Thanks! It was black and the same font. I was in an Uber cab and so I did not see it very well.
You didn't know that about SF? It's kind of been ground zero for Bitcoin since the beginning. The first time I put names to faces for the people on this forum was at The Future of Money & Technology Summit in Feburary 2011 at the Kabuki in SF. I still have the pictures somewhere. I got to meet Tony Gallippi, Jered Kenna and all the big names at the time. I hope you got to go to Cup and Cakes bakery for some of the best cupcakes in the world available for Bitcoin. Coinbase is located over near AT&T Park. Too bad I didn't know you were going I would have taken you to The Boulevard on embarcadero for lunch (I get a discount because my brother-in-law works there lol).
Damn, I missed a free lunch? lol Thanks anyway.
I did know SF was a leader. I was at the San Jose conference in 2013, but was still shocked at how it has grown. I was waiting for someone to ask me if I had any spare Satoshi instead of change.
Sadly, I had neither cup nor cake.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Cinnob0n

Activity: 116
Merit: 10

-Credits (CRE) Miner/Enthusiast

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 11:57:23 PM

Congrats!  Wink The only places that accept bitcoin in my area are e-cigarette shops.  Embarrassed

▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼  No.1 Bitcoin Binary Options and Double Dice  ▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼
████████████████████████████████  sec◔nds trade  ████████████████████████████████
↑↓ Instant Bets ↑↓ Flexible 1~720 minutes Expiry time ↑↓ Highest Reward 190% ↑↓ 16 Assets [btc, forex, gold, 1% edge double dice] ↑↓
BayAreaCoins
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 1242

Owner at AltQuick.com & FreeBitcoins.com

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2015, 12:28:52 AM

Coinbase is located over near AT&T Park.

One Front Street (AKA 444 Market Street) I believe.

I hear they love people randomly stopping by.

https://AltQuick.com/exchange/ - Trade altcoins & Bitcoin Testnet coins with real Bitcoin. Fast, private, and easy!
https://FreeBitcoins.com/faucet/ - Load your AltQuick exchange account with free Bitcoins & Testnet every 10 minutes.
dhimasnk

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 12:38:22 AM

Well this is exciting news, I hope more and more stores that accept bitcoin.

BUY LOW/SELL HIGH
24/7 TRADING BOT  GUNBOT  THE AUTOMATIC PROFIT GENERATOR FOR POLONIEX
LIMITED EDITION NOW AVAILABLE FOR KRAKEN AND BITTREX  My bitcoin address: 37xyZGoqmkeTTatsWcnFJS4iL4xdE4Cuia + wex.nz codes at Peermarketer@gmail.com
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 01:05:36 AM

Nope, they're in this condo building on 1 Bluxome street near AT&T park. The other address is a drop box for mail downtown. I went to both addresses to check it out.

BayAreaCoins
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2015, 04:21:56 AM
Last edit: May 05, 2015, 04:46:17 AM by BayAreaCoins

Nope, they're in this condo building on 1 Bluxome street near AT&T park. The other address is a drop box for mail downtown. I went to both addresses to check it out.

The pictures that they have had on twitter are most definitely from a office on market Market Street.

That building right there isn't anywhere near high enough. Comparing the pictures from Brian Armstrong twitter pictures (that have since been removed.)

https://blog.coinbase.com/2014/04/15/weve-moved-to-a-new-office/

The address that is a drop box is 548 Market Street #23008, San Francisco, CA 94104  which is very close to One Front Street.

Edit:

That is their old office.  This new office is "hidden" cause they don't want the community to know. That is the One Front Street (444 Market Street) address possibly.

https://AltQuick.com/exchange/ - Trade altcoins & Bitcoin Testnet coins with real Bitcoin. Fast, private, and easy!
https://FreeBitcoins.com/faucet/ - Load your AltQuick exchange account with free Bitcoins & Testnet every 10 minutes.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 05:37:15 AM

The pictures that they have had on twitter are most definitely from a office on market Market Street.

That building right there isn't anywhere near high enough. Comparing the pictures from Brian Armstrong twitter pictures (that have since been removed.)

The address that is a drop box is 548 Market Street #23008, San Francisco, CA 94104  which is very close to One Front Street.

Edit:

That is their old office.  This new office is "hidden" cause they don't want the community to know. That is the One Front Street (444 Market Street) address possibly.

When I went to the Bluxome street address there was a guy from Zillow real estate showing a condo. We talked about his listing and then Coinbase. He verified that they were in that building. I looked at one of the condos and they're huge. They could easly run a small office from there. Maybe they moved. My wife is a property manager for Jones Lang LaSalle. Let me see if she can locate them in a JLL building. I think One Front street is managed by JLL. I can probably get a tenant roster if I really wanted to. I also know a few people that work for Shorenstein at the Russ Building, I've met many CB Richard Ellis and Tri Commercial managers and have attended a few Boma SF parties with the wife. I'll do some digging and see what I can come up with. If they rent commercial real estate in SF I bet I can find them.

BayAreaCoins
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2015, 06:02:06 AM

Edit:

When I went to the Bluxome street address there was a guy from Zillow real estate showing a condo. We talked about his listing and then Coinbase. He verified that they were in that building. I looked at one of the condos and they're huge. They could easly run a small office from there. Maybe they moved. My wife is a property manager for Jones Lang LaSalle. Let me see if she can locate them in a JLL building. I think One Front street is managed by JLL. I can probably get a tenant roster if I really wanted to. I also know a few people that work for Shorenstein at the Russ Building, I've met many CB Richard Ellis and Tri Commercial managers and have attended a few Boma SF parties with the wife. I'll do some digging and see what I can come up with. If they rent commercial real estate in SF I bet I can find them.

Godspeed Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: