Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 01:06:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: James Turk's Q&A with GoldMoney followers includes section on Bitcoin  (Read 5273 times)
miscreanity (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 18, 2012, 08:05:53 PM

I think I read once before that Mr. Mayer was quite positive and supportive of bitcoin.

He is; much, if not all, of his online material is available for purchase via Bitcoin.
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
August 18, 2012, 11:48:35 PM

From the relevant section quoted below, James Turk (founder of GoldMoney) clearly doesn't yet grasp the nature of Bitcoin, equating it with fiat currencies "backed by nothing". Oddly enough, GoldMoney accepts fiat currencies backed by nothing.

LOL well said Smiley

It's like the Mises Institute decrying government fiat at every opportunity, yet accepting it gratefully, and not yet accepting free market bitcoin currency.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
August 19, 2012, 12:32:03 AM

Turk has his well rehearsed talking points and rarely much more in my observation.

----

On a slight tangent, I was on a long drive recently and trying to think up ways to describe Bitcoin.  I've always advocated formally (whatever that means in the Bitcoin world) the term 'money' when talking about Bitcoin for a few reasons.  Here's my description which takes the form of a comparison:

- Fiat:  A centrally managed accounting system backed by the law.

- Bitcoin:  A distributed accounting system backed by cryptography/mathematics.

- Gold (physical):  A distributed accounting system backed by physics.

I wonder if Turk would or could grok that?  I've always held that Bitcoin and gold are so close to one another when contrasted with fiat that for a lot of conversations they can be considered identical.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 19, 2012, 12:46:01 AM

I've always held that Bitcoin and gold are so close to one another when contrasted with fiat that for a lot of conversations they can be considered identical.

Yup.  Take almost any goldbug article, do
 $ %s/gold/bitcoin/g 
and what you end up with makes nearly perfect sense to a bitcoiner.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 19, 2012, 02:00:30 AM

I don't know who originally came up with idea of referring to Bitcoin as being "both the blood and the veins", but that would have been a perfect way to respond to this.  Bitcoin is both a store of value (blood) and the veins (payment network).

James Turk is describing how he does not believe Bitcoin has value as an asset.  But the question was simply asking when Bitcoin would be a payment method directly supported by GoldMoney.com.

Charlie Shrem of BitInstant came up with the blood and veins analogy or at least it was the first time I heard it (on a phone call a few months ago). I have been using it ever since because it is so accurate and easy to understand.

Additionally, Mr. Turk should separate his personal beliefs from business practice. As the chairman of GoldMoney he should be concerned with his fiduciary duties and not strutting around as some religious zealot with a particular philosophical agenda. In this case, he has a customer that has a particular need and is asking if GoldMoney will provide a service for that need and he told the customer to go pound sand because it conflicts with his philosophical assertion.

It does not matter what Mr. Turk's personal belief is about whether Bitcoin has value as an asset (obviously it does and the market says so because millions of dollars worth trade every day) and the market does not give two craps what Mr. Turk's opinion is. A good businessman would have responded something like, "Well, that depends on whether we can provide a service customers demand and make a profit. Currently we have not had enough customers demand Bitcoin integration to justify making the investments required."

Quote from: James Turk
BitCoins are the ultimate currency backed by nothing. It is not money in my view because money is a tangible asset, and BitCoins are not.
This position is not compatible with his later statements about fiat currency. Fiat currency is tangible too because it is made of paper, steel, copper, nickel etc. These are tangible commodities.

The point Turk is missing is scarcity. Gold has more value than paper because it is much scarcer. And that is why bitcoin has value, because it is scarce.

Mr. Turk's argument is logically flawed and he is completely missing how the Bitcoin source code has solved the double-spend problem. Plus, his arguments beg the question: What is tangibility? He tries to solve the double-spend problem with auditors, a trust company, etc. or in other words corporate governenance and segregation of duties. But only particular people are allowed to enter the vaults and verify the bullion. On the other hand, Bitcoin solves the double spend problem with source code that is available for anyone to review. Therefore, GoldMoney's system is closed source were double spends are possible while Bitcoin is open source where double spends are impossible (or the risks can be more easily calculated).

and also centralized.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
August 19, 2012, 02:01:59 AM

started recommending it around $0.05, to a few of Mr. Turk's friends in person even,[/i].

There's an interesting article about GoldMoney.  Have you seen it?  Cheesy

- http://www.runtogold.com/goldmoney/goldmoney-scam-goldmoney-fraud-complaints-problems/
The owner of runtogold.com, Trace Mayer (who also owns HowToVanish.com), is very close to Mr. Turk. I don't expect anything negative coming out from the site. 

I think I read once before that Mr. Mayer was quite positive and supportive of bitcoin.

Dude...

sunnankar=Trace mayer
bitcool
Legendary

Activity: 1441
Merit: 1000

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
August 19, 2012, 02:03:06 PM

Dude...

sunnankar=Trace mayer
aha, it's a small btc world after all.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
August 19, 2012, 02:29:59 PM
Last edit: August 19, 2012, 02:45:57 PM by cypherdoc

Dude...

sunnankar=Trace mayer
aha, it's a small btc world after all.

Now maybe you'll understand my joke?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=100910.msg1104189#msg1104189
sunnankar
Legendary

Activity: 1031

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2012, 02:52:26 PM

Dude...

Don't know what you are talking about.

n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 19, 2012, 07:46:53 PM
Last edit: August 19, 2012, 08:05:55 PM by n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

I've always held that Bitcoin and gold are so close to one another when contrasted with fiat that for a lot of conversations they can be considered identical.

Yup.  Take almost any goldbug article, do
 $ %s/gold/bitcoin/g  
and what you end up with makes nearly perfect sense to a bitcoiner.

I always thought that this reworking of Exter's pyramid by gengix was really insightful in showing how gold and bitcoin relate to each other.  Gold is the best tangible money.  Bitcoin is the best intangible money.  Each is a mirror image of the other, sitting at the top of their own category.  They do not compete, they complement.

cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 02:38:18 AM

Dude...

Don't know what you are talking about.

that's ok then.  it'll be our secret. Wink
sunnankar
Legendary

Activity: 1031

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2012, 06:01:44 AM

I always thought that this reworking of Exter's pyramid by gengix was really insightful in showing how gold and bitcoin relate to each other.  Gold is the best tangible money.  Bitcoin is the best intangible money.  Each is a mirror image of the other, sitting at the top of their own category.  They do not compete, they complement.

I tend to agree. Every currency needs a mirror. The fiat currency experiment resulted in the FRN and Euro. Now that the Euro is evaporating and the debt situation the world markets has reverted back to gold and the FRN. Gold and Bitcoin could match that relationship in a bi-commodity standard like gold/silver.

It seems gold is best at transferring value over time while Bitcoin is superior at transferring value over distance. Sure, more of the systems need to be built out but it can clone and graft much of the current infrastructure like the new BitInstant Credit/Debit card.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2012, 06:08:43 AM

echoing OP comments.

Someone should write him and say "I know the dollar is backed by nothing, but would you consider accepting them anyway. I imagine some potential customers would appreciate it and you can always trade the dollars for things that you do like."

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
flix
Legendary

Activity: 1227

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 07:07:34 AM

Gold has a few thousand years of history behind it... that amount of momentum counts for a lot in human events.

OTOH saving in gold and paying in bitcoin would be an extremely powerful and flexible combination.

I think that the guys at http://coinabul.com/ have the right idea. Mr. Turk should take note. After all, he does not believe in fiat dollars or euros but still accepts them in payment...
flix
Legendary

Activity: 1227

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 07:11:10 AM

It seems gold is best at transferring value over time while Bitcoin is superior at transferring value over distance. Sure, more of the systems need to be built out but it can clone and graft much of the current infrastructure like the new BitInstant Credit/Debit card.

^This
Coinabul

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Coinabul - Gold Unbarred

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2012, 09:21:43 PM

Gold has a few thousand years of history behind it... that amount of momentum counts for a lot in human events.

OTOH saving in gold and paying in bitcoin would be an extremely powerful and flexible combination.

I think that the guys at http://coinabul.com/ have the right idea. Mr. Turk should take note. After all, he does not believe in fiat dollars or euros but still accepts them in payment...

That's what we think will do well in the future. Although, a cryptocoin that's more focused on payments instead of value transfer like Bitcoin is, would do much better in day-to-day operations.

Coinabul.com - Gold Unbarred
Website owners, let me put my ads on your site! PM me!
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: