Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 03:40:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is bitcoin going for more than $20 on eBay?  (Read 5921 times)
SaintDevil

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

Web Programmer, Gamer

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 07:46:45 PM

If you're just going to reverse the transaction anyway, $47 isn't that much money.

Could also be digital delivery sellers are getting scarce Wink

Yeah they are getting scarce because paypal is banning them  Sad

I saw your post bout PayPal divorcing you. Can you tell me a little bit about your account?

My questions are...

Did you ONLY sell bitcoins?
How long were you a member for?
Did you only sell digital delivery?
You said you only had 3 chargebacks and many voluntary refunds. What time span did the chargebacks happen in? 1 month? 6 months? more?

In my past experience with PayPal I believe PayPal to be generally lazy. They only seem to act when someone complains. Do you feel a competitor may have "narked you out" ?

I used to run a seed selling business on eBay back in 2003-2007. I specialized in poison-garden seeds. Some of which can be considered drugs. I had that PayPal account closed over a $2 poppy seed packet sale and the complaint came from a concerned mother. I had refunded her payment when she contacted me, I was very pleasant with the woman and felt the issue was handled well by me and was shocked when PayPal canceled my account. After the 180 days, It took an additional 6 months to recover the frozen funds. At the time there was NO WAY to speak to anyone on the phone.

I'm really going to begin to worry if they are canceling paypal accounts for people who are shipping physical bitcoins (me).

On a more positive note, I got my paypal account back in the end by providing them a bunch of information and agreeing not to sell poisonous seeds anymore. Attempts to explain how lots of innocent vegetables have poison seeds fell on deaf ears at PayPal. They ALWAYS assume the seller to be a liar and the buyer to be a judge/jury/executioner. I have been an eBay seller since 1998 and have been using PayPal since it was X.com.

Did your business with poison-garden seeds required some kind of license? If you were licensed then it would be illegal for PayPal to freeze your account.

As for physical bitcoins, have you tried adding signature confirmation, I don't know if it does much but it does adds seller protection.

Oh an have anyone ever tried eBid. It has auctions worldwide and fees are much less than eBay, or eCrater.

Join pyraming and let someone else host the equipment http://pyramining.com/referral/934khztg6
Only if it's legal where you are: Legal Bud
PM if you need to translate to Russian or the other way around.
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FLHippy

Activity: 784
Merit: 101

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 09:22:29 PM

Did your business with poison-garden seeds required some kind of license? If you were licensed then it would be illegal for PayPal to freeze your account.

No license is required to sell seeds. My auction listing had pictures of opium poppies and a link to the wikipedia page for papaver somniferum. this is where mom clicked... saw the word heroin and instantly the seeds were a drug and I was shut down. The same seeds that you get on a bagel. HEROIN DEALER?

Papal can freeze your account for pretty much any reason.

WHALES HEAVEN
Custody-free Swapping Platform
◈  ────────  Reddit ⬝  BountyWebsiteTelegramTwitterGitHub  ────────  ◈
SaintDevil

Web Programmer, Gamer

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 09:26:14 PM

No license is required to sell seeds. My auction listing had pictures of opium poppies and a link to the wikipedia page for papaver somniferum. this is where mom clicked... saw the word heroin and instantly the seeds were a drug and I was shut down. The same seeds that you get on a bagel. HEROIN DEALER?

Omg, that is so crazy to hear. There are some crazy people out there, and PayPal pretty much didn't listen to you.
I know they can freeze you for any reason, but there has to be a good reason otherwise you can sue them. They are in the US and law works here.
They cannot just take your money without a good reason, that's what I mean.

Join pyraming and let someone else host the equipment http://pyramining.com/referral/934khztg6
lebing
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000

Enabling the maximal migration

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 09:47:02 PM

Omg, that is so crazy to hear. There are some crazy people out there, and PayPal pretty much didn't listen to you.
I know they can freeze you for any reason, but there has to be a good reason otherwise you can sue them. They are in the US and law works here.
They cannot just take your money without a good reason, that's what I mean.

They can't take it indefinitely, just for 6 months  Embarrassed

Bro, do you even blockchain?
-E Voorhees
adamas
Legendary

Activity: 1014
Merit: 1003

VIS ET LIBERTAS

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2012, 08:15:32 AM

Oh an have anyone ever tried eBid. It has auctions worldwide and fees are much less than eBay, or eCrater.
I didnt know about eBit. Seems to be a great egay alternative.  Smiley

"Es ist kein Zeichen geistiger Gesundheit, gut angepasst an eine kranke Gesellschaft zu sein."
SaintDevil

Web Programmer, Gamer

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 09:19:20 AM

I didnt know about eBit. Seems to be a great egay alternative.  Smiley

It is of course is not as popular, but eBay is just turned from the auction for users like it used to be into big corporate marketplace.
Then you try to compete with all those companies...

Micon
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1014

FPV Drone Pilot

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2012, 09:42:59 AM

I bought my first bitcoin on ebay... just wanted to get one!

Me too, and for the same reason.

Same reason for buying 1st one, got it from bitmarket.eu, then started buying them from bitmarket.eu and selling on eBay at a reasonable markup.

ran into the chargeback game, then ebay de-listed a bitcoin auction saying it wasn't allowed.  I stopped after that, I value my eBay account even though they are fucking evil. 

what is the rule now?  Can you win paypal disputes with blockchain verification now?

I'm flying FPV race drones these days. Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MiconFPV
SaintDevil

Web Programmer, Gamer

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 10:06:49 AM

I bought my first bitcoin on ebay... just wanted to get one!

Me too, and for the same reason.

Same reason for buying 1st one, got it from bitmarket.eu, then started buying them from bitmarket.eu and selling on eBay at a reasonable markup.

ran into the chargeback game, then ebay de-listed a bitcoin auction saying it wasn't allowed.  I stopped after that, I value my eBay account even though they are fucking evil. 

what is the rule now?  Can you win paypal disputes with blockchain verification now?

I tried that, made screenshot of submitted wallet, transaction, my wallet and it didn't work. They told me the buyers account got stolen and even if they receive goods they reserve the right to get their money back.
I was like  Shocked

DoogieHouser

Activity: 133

Bitcoin Enthusiast

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 11:49:59 AM

I concur with other responses... For a lot of people, $20 on eBay is easier than dealing with Dwolla & MtGox.
That is one thing that I like about Virtex.  I can create an account, walk to a branch of their bank, make a cash deposit, and buy BTC five minutes later...  Smiley

--Doogie
scrybe

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 01:46:10 PM

I tried that, made screenshot of submitted wallet, transaction, my wallet and it didn't work. They told me the buyers account got stolen and even if they receive goods they reserve the right to get their money back.
I was like  Shocked

Isn't the customer required to return the merchandise?

13.3 How much coverage do I get with PayPal Buyer Protection?
Items purchased on eBay:
If you see the PayPal Buyer Protection message "Pay with PayPal and full purchase price is covered", and if PayPal finds in your favor on your Claim, PayPal will reimburse you for the full purchase price of the item and original shipping costs – with no cap on coverage. PayPal will not reimburse you for the return shipping costs that you incur to return a Significantly Not as Described item to the seller or other party PayPal specifies. If the seller presents evidence that they delivered the goods to your address, PayPal may find in favor of the seller even if you did not receive the goods.

"...as simple as possible, but no simpler" -AE
BTC/TRC/FRC: 1ScrybeSNcjqgpPeYNgvdxANArqoC6i5u Ripple:rf9gutfmGB8CH39W2PCeRbLWMKRauYyVfx LTC:LadmiD6tXq7gFZvMibhFUZegUHKXgbu1Gb
SaintDevil

Web Programmer, Gamer

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 03:33:00 PM

I was like  Shocked

Items purchased on eBay:
If you see the PayPal Buyer Protection message "Pay with PayPal and full purchase price is covered", and if PayPal finds in your favor on your Claim, PayPal will reimburse you for the full purchase price of the item and original shipping costs – with no cap on coverage. PayPal will not reimburse you for the return shipping costs that you incur to return a Significantly Not as Described item to the seller or other party PayPal specifies. If the seller presents evidence that they delivered the goods to your address, PayPal may find in favor of the seller even if you did not receive the goods.

Yeah, but I think they are talking about physical goods. I mean could take them to court and prove wrong because I do have proof, but it's not worth over $15.

FLHippy

Activity: 784
Merit: 101

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 04:20:53 PM

I was like  Shocked

Items purchased on eBay:

Yeah, but I think they are talking about physical goods. I mean could take them to court and prove wrong because I do have proof, but it's not worth over $15.

Always sell a physical good to help protect yourself. If anyone needs help with the physical goods part, I have beautiful unfunded, custom printed, notes for sale complete with tamper evident stickers. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=120221.0

It only costs $1.70 to ship one of these to people and they get their BTC in 3 days usually. That $1.70 includes delivery confirmation and is created using PayPal's shipping system. Overall, it is still less of a hassle than MtGox. It helps to weed out scammers, it makes you more legit in PayPal's eyes. Some buyers upgrade to priority shipping and that is going to add a few more dimes to your profit.

WHALES HEAVEN
Custody-free Swapping Platform
◈  ────────  Reddit ⬝  BountyWebsiteTelegramTwitterGitHub  ────────  ◈
BitCoiner2012

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 08:59:04 PM

Don't sell unless you are shipping something physical.

100% scammers in my exerpience on eBay, PayPal openly admit that I can buy a digital good, claim I never received it, and get my full refund with no problems. The lady on the phone admitted to facilitation of fraud so long as it is a digital good. I was angry, but shall do no more instant transactions on eBay. All stolen cards and fraudsters.

BTC Long.
salfter

Activity: 651
Merit: 501

My PGP Key: 92C7689C

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2012, 09:06:39 PM

Someone new to the bitcoin community doesn't know about bit instant but obviously they know about ebay.  That's the majority of the problem there.

Someone who stumbles upon bitcoin will do the following.

www.google.com
(bitcoin)

I doubt they cant figure it out.

Considering the continued utility of sites like Let Me Google That For You, I think you overestimate the average luser's search skills.

Tipjars: BTC 1TipsGocnz2N5qgAm9f7JLrsMqkb3oXe2 LTC LTipsVC7XaFy9M6Zaf1aGGe8w8xVUeWFvR | My Bitcoin Note Generator | Pool Auto-Switchers: zpool MiningPoolHub NiceHash
Bitgem Resources: Pool Explorer Paper Wallet
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: