Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 05:58:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is bitcoin going for more than $20 on eBay?  (Read 5924 times)
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4312
Merit: 3214

View Profile
October 13, 2012, 10:58:43 PM

Can someone explain the risk of selling BTC on ebay? How is disputing a transaction on ebay different for bitcoins than for other items?

Also, it seems to me that if you send something in the mail (one of those print-your-own notes or a casascius coin, even) so that you can verify receipt, it should be fine.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FLHippy

Activity: 784
Merit: 101

View Profile
October 14, 2012, 12:55:17 AM

Can someone explain the risk of selling BTC on ebay? How is disputing a transaction on ebay different for bitcoins than for other items?

Also, it seems to me that if you send something in the mail (one of those print-your-own notes or a casascius coin, even) so that you can verify receipt, it should be fine.

It's always a risk that someone will abuse the system and chargeback even after receiving a physical item.
If a chargeback happens, paypal freezes the funds until the issue is worked out.

Main reason for chargebacks... stolen account. Also the easiest thing to spot/avoid.

WHALES HEAVEN
Custody-free Swapping Platform
◈  ────────  Reddit ⬝  BountyWebsiteTelegramTwitterGitHub  ────────  ◈
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4312
Merit: 3214

View Profile
October 14, 2012, 04:33:03 AM

It's always a risk that someone will abuse the system and chargeback even after receiving a physical item.
If a chargeback happens, paypal freezes the funds until the issue is worked out.
Main reason for chargebacks... stolen account. Also the easiest thing to spot/avoid.

Thanks for that explanation. I'm interest in knowing why bitcoin is more susceptible to this abuse, especially if there is a physical item involved. How would this differ from other items? Is it because ebay or paypal can require a seller to accept a return?

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2012, 07:15:13 AM
Last edit: October 14, 2012, 11:42:47 PM by markm

Mostly it is a matter of retail markup.

Sell something retail at maybe 40% markup, you only really lost 60% of the retail price when you get scammed.

If you know where I can but bitcoins at 60% of retail so I can resell them I'd love to know about it! Smiley

So basically whatever price you can buy them for, mark them up the usual kind of amount you charge on bags of sugar or cups of coffee or whatever, then add extra for the higher rate of scams on eBay compared to in your own shop with your shotgun or baseball bat under the counter...

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
FLHippy

View Profile
October 14, 2012, 11:29:42 PM

Thanks for that explanation. I'm interest in knowing why bitcoin is more susceptible to this abuse, especially if there is a physical item involved. How would this differ from other items? Is it because ebay or paypal can require a seller to accept a return?

To be frank, bitcoin on eBay is often drug money.
Drugs make honest people do bad things and are a magnet for dishonest people.

WHALES HEAVEN
BitCoiner2012

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 17, 2012, 02:01:44 AM

Here is what I don't understand - the chargebacks on PayPal I understand..

But what if I set up a CC gateway and accept payments, would it be the same?

What if on eBay I set up to sell a printed voucher and mail a physical representation?

BTC Long.
FLHippy

View Profile
October 17, 2012, 02:35:57 AM

Here is what I don't understand - the chargebacks on PayPal I understand..

But what if I set up a CC gateway and accept payments, would it be the same?

What if on eBay I set up to sell a printed voucher and mail a physical representation?

Even if you send a physical item, which is how I sell on eBay, there is still a chance someone can charge back.

Many PayPal chargebacks are actually initiated through the buyer's credit card company.
If you run your own CC gateway, people can still charge back, use stolen cards, etc.
If you run your own CC gateway, you lose what little seller protection that PayPal offers.
If you run your own CC gateway, you have more ability to dispute chargebacks but you also have to provide your own infrastructure to validate buyer addresses.
If you run your own CC gateway, eBay is not going to be as easy to work with to resolve disputes.

Not trying to talk you out of it, these are just things to consider before jumping into a coins for CC venture of any kind. There are some failed attempts at this service which you can find by searching this forum.

WHALES HEAVEN
BitCoiner2012

Activity: 364

View Profile
October 17, 2012, 03:08:04 AM

Thanks. I wish you'd send me a huge in depth info about the bASIC as well if you had time. Thanks!

BTC Long.
salfter

Activity: 651
Merit: 501

My PGP Key: 92C7689C

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2012, 04:55:45 PM

...(WTF does MtGox even mean).
MtGox means "Magic the Gathering Online Exchange". Enough said pro & con about that here previously...  Wink

In terms though of being [put your adjective here], i think it's no worse than the name "eBay"...  Smiley

Very early on, eBay was known as AuctionWeb:

The company officially changed the name of its service from AuctionWeb to eBay in September 1997. Originally, the site belonged to Echo Bay Technology Group, Omidyar's consulting firm. Omidyar had tried to register the domain name echobay.com, but found it already taken by the Echo Bay Mines, a gold mining company, so he shortened it to his second choice, eBay.com.

I still have the registration email from when I signed up for AuctionWeb in May 1997.  The link given at the end, http://www.ebay.com/aw/, returns 404. How much work would it have been to put in a 301 redirect?  Grin

Tipjars: BTC 1TipsGocnz2N5qgAm9f7JLrsMqkb3oXe2 LTC LTipsVC7XaFy9M6Zaf1aGGe8w8xVUeWFvR | My Bitcoin Note Generator | Pool Auto-Switchers: zpool MiningPoolHub NiceHash
Bitgem Resources: Pool Explorer Paper Wallet
FLHippy

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 12:20:33 AM

I wonder if anyone currently employed at eBay even remembers auction web Smiley programmer turnover is 5 years on average.

WHALES HEAVEN
Desolator

Activity: 392

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 01:03:00 PM

I'm always into scamming the scammers so here's what you do.  Grab a little camera and film the screen showing their e-mail with their BTC address.  Then open the client, copy and paste, and hit send.  If they initiate a chargeback, paypal or a CC processor asks you for any additional evidence you might have that proves you sent what they bought.  Send them the video.  Then that scamming jackass who initiated a chargeback or paypal complaint and thought his big pile of money was coming right back is totally out that money.
FLHippy

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 08:33:06 PM

I'm always into scamming the scammers so here's what you do.  Grab a little camera and film the screen showing their e-mail with their BTC address.  Then open the client, copy and paste, and hit send.  If they initiate a chargeback, paypal or a CC processor asks you for any additional evidence you might have that proves you sent what they bought.  Send them the video.  Then that scamming jackass who initiated a chargeback or paypal complaint and thought his big pile of money was coming right back is totally out that money.

eBay/Paypal will not look at videos sent to them as proof of anything.

Once again... NEVER, EVER... (ever) SEND BITCOINS DIGITALLY THROUGH EBAY/PAYPAL SALES.

Always ship them a physical product. Always use the integrated shipping tools with PayPal.

There are several very nice printing options available with a multitude of designs.

http://print.printcoins.com by RobKhor is my favorite as it has the most designs available (and more on the way).
search github for aristus for a command line application which prints on a turing note.
bitinstant.com has a javascript based note printer.

WHALES HEAVEN
AngryCatfish

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 03:31:24 PM

You know it was funny finding mtgox years later after being a magic the gathering fan and using the site so long ago. Made me do a double take.
moni3z

Activity: 899
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 10:58:11 PM

ebay has enormous fees which is why it costs more, and the fact that you'll be scammed afterwards by paypal is probably a risk must equal reward factor in the price

if you sold bitcoin printouts or a CD/USB drive with the priv keys on it and physically shipped it to a validated paypal address you may have a leg or two to stand on but are still open to scams
scrybe

Activity: 350

View Profile
October 23, 2012, 07:30:23 PM

eBay sets the eBay-market price of bitcoins, MtGox sets the MtGox-market price of bitcoins. The market in the tiny town at the top of the loneliiest mountain, beyond the gorge of gargyles and the deepest pits of despair sets its own market-price of bitcoins.

"Market price" is, in short, a term that has two components, one of which is "market". So first you gotta find the scope/redius/locus or the market whose price you are trying to determine.

How many people participate in eBay?

How many in MtGox?

It can probably reasonably be argued that the market price of bitcoin is $20 but that there do exist niche geek clubs where one can, purportedly, and possibly not without some rigamarole, obtain them cheaper.

-MarkM-

I like that last line, it sounds so much better than "we are getting ripped off less."

One minor correction, independent sellers on eBay set the price without any guidance or assistance from eBay. On MtGox independent sellers can establish a price, and the current market price is available to all without effort.

Cheers

"...as simple as possible, but no simpler" -AE
BTC/TRC/FRC: 1ScrybeSNcjqgpPeYNgvdxANArqoC6i5u Ripple:rf9gutfmGB8CH39W2PCeRbLWMKRauYyVfx LTC:LadmiD6tXq7gFZvMibhFUZegUHKXgbu1Gb
BitcoinINV

Activity: 448

View Profile
October 23, 2012, 07:32:56 PM

Just seen this and about died
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Bitcoin-1-0-BTC-Digital-Currency-/181001007600?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a248031f0

jeesh come buy coins from me lol

FLHippy

View Profile
October 23, 2012, 08:12:04 PM

If you're just going to reverse the transaction anyway, $47 isn't that much money.

Could also be digital delivery sellers are getting scarce Wink

WHALES HEAVEN
lebing
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000

Enabling the maximal migration

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 04:49:20 AM

If you're just going to reverse the transaction anyway, $47 isn't that much money.

Yeah they are getting scarce because paypal is banning them  Sad

Bro, do you even blockchain?
-E Voorhees
FLHippy

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 12:04:06 PM

Yeah they are getting scarce because paypal is banning them  Sad

I saw your post bout PayPal divorcing you. Can you tell me a little bit about your account?

My questions are...

Did you ONLY sell bitcoins?
How long were you a member for?
Did you only sell digital delivery?
You said you only had 3 chargebacks and many voluntary refunds. What time span did the chargebacks happen in? 1 month? 6 months? more?

In my past experience with PayPal I believe PayPal to be generally lazy. They only seem to act when someone complains. Do you feel a competitor may have "narked you out" ?

I used to run a seed selling business on eBay back in 2003-2007. I specialized in poison-garden seeds. Some of which can be considered drugs. I had that PayPal account closed over a $2 poppy seed packet sale and the complaint came from a concerned mother. I had refunded her payment when she contacted me, I was very pleasant with the woman and felt the issue was handled well by me and was shocked when PayPal canceled my account. After the 180 days, It took an additional 6 months to recover the frozen funds. At the time there was NO WAY to speak to anyone on the phone.

I'm really going to begin to worry if they are canceling paypal accounts for people who are shipping physical bitcoins (me).

On a more positive note, I got my paypal account back in the end by providing them a bunch of information and agreeing not to sell poisonous seeds anymore. Attempts to explain how lots of innocent vegetables have poison seeds fell on deaf ears at PayPal. They ALWAYS assume the seller to be a liar and the buyer to be a judge/jury/executioner. I have been an eBay seller since 1998 and have been using PayPal since it was X.com.

WHALES HEAVEN
lebing
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000

Enabling the maximal migration

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 07:35:52 PM

I saw your post bout PayPal divorcing you. Can you tell me a little bit about your account?

My questions are...

Did you ONLY sell bitcoins?
How long were you a member for?
Did you only sell digital delivery?
You said you only had 3 chargebacks and many voluntary refunds. What time span did the chargebacks happen in? 1 month? 6 months? more?

In my past experience with PayPal I believe PayPal to be generally lazy. They only seem to act when someone complains. Do you feel a competitor may have "narked you out" ?

I used to run a seed selling business on eBay back in 2003-2007. I specialized in poison-garden seeds. Some of which can be considered drugs. I had that PayPal account closed over a $2 poppy seed packet sale and the complaint came from a concerned mother. I had refunded her payment when she contacted me, I was very pleasant with the woman and felt the issue was handled well by me and was shocked when PayPal canceled my account. After the 180 days, It took an additional 6 months to recover the frozen funds. At the time there was NO WAY to speak to anyone on the phone.

I'm really going to begin to worry if they are canceling paypal accounts for people who are shipping physical bitcoins (me).

On a more positive note, I got my paypal account back in the end by providing them a bunch of information and agreeing not to sell poisonous seeds anymore. Attempts to explain how lots of innocent vegetables have poison seeds fell on deaf ears at PayPal. They ALWAYS assume the seller to be a liar and the buyer to be a judge/jury/executioner. I have been an eBay seller since 1998 and have been using PayPal since it was X.com.

Well, the auction was for a penny and the bitcoins were free (delivered digitally). I had two ebay accounts. The first hit a limit (new), so I tried to use my old one and that was when they sent the mail to me. All the activity happened during the course of two weeks.

Bro, do you even blockchain?
-E Voorhees
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: