Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 11:36:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: HAM Radio  (Read 1031 times)
katie.mckinley (OP)

Activity: 131
Merit: 100

old user name chris3spice

View Profile
August 18, 2012, 03:23:16 PM
Last edit: November 09, 2013, 07:19:16 PM by katie.mckinley

Is anyone here a HAM Radio guy?
I started taking an electronics certification at a Tech School and am gearing towards Broadcast Engineering and the teach would like me to get my Amateur Extra class license. I was just wondering if anyone else on the forum is a HAM Operator. I just started studying for the test and I haven't even looked at equipment or anything but maybe when I get there we could attempt to chat via radio!

EDIT:
I took all three tests at once and got my Amateur Extra Class license my call sign is AD0DK!
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2013, 12:07:12 AM

N6ATF (tech vanity) here, can only afford cheapo Baofeng VHF/UHFs.

Renewed a matter of minutes or hours before fcc.gov was shut down. HA!

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
danieldaniel

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 12:12:32 AM

I'm KB1ZCL.  Only a tech, though.

@TheButterZone: lmfao.  Lucky!

dragonkid

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 11:21:12 AM

What is so fun about HAM Radio? I kept on seeing this. But have no idea why some people love it so much. Is this the same a CB radio?

Zeek_W

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 11:30:11 AM

N6ATF (tech vanity) here, can only afford cheapo Baofeng VHF/UHFs.

Renewed a matter of minutes or hours before fcc.gov was shut down. HA!

Baofengs are fun little devices! Listened in to the ISS the other day!

b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 01:04:27 PM

What is so fun about HAM Radio? I kept on seeing this. But have no idea why some people love it so much. Is this the same a CB radio?

I have the same question too. Is the signal actually strong enough to talk to someone on the other side of the world? It sounds hard to believe.
gwoplock

Activity: 169

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 02:04:37 PM

I have the same question too. Is the signal actually strong enough to talk to someone on the other side of the world? It sounds hard to believe.

we can run up to 1.5Kw so yes we can go a long way. second we skip off the atmosphere to go longer distances example:

kf5kqj (tech)
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 02:25:57 PM

we can run up to 1.5Kw so yes we can go a long way. second we skip off the atmosphere to go longer distances example:

kf5kqj (tech)

And what do you usually do with the radio? Listen to radio stations? Or do you just talk to strangers?
cbhelp

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 02:29:55 PM

Also, what does (tech) mean when you all post your HAM radio ID's?
gwoplock

Activity: 169

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 03:25:06 PM

kf5kqj (tech)

And what do you usually do with the radio? Listen to radio stations? Or do you just talk to strangers?
talk to strangers.
Also, what does (tech) mean when you all post your HAM radio ID's?
the class of license we have- technician, general, or extra.
katie.mckinley (OP)

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 07:15:55 PM

Ok since I have posted my original post... I finished the Tech School and while I was still enrolled I got my Amateur Extra Class License back in March. Took all three tests at once, my Call sign is AD0DK! You can usually find me on the 40 meter band with my home built antenna using an old Kenwood T-430S (which is the exact same model from the Korean movie "Ditto" that I love).
katie.mckinley (OP)

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 07:18:21 PM

I know gwoplock already answered but from Kansas and Colorado, I've been able to reach people in Japan and South Korea whom I attempt to talk to as much as possible. There is a lot to factor in though, skip, atmospheric conditions and so on.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: