Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 10:38:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: trick to raise hashrate with Radeon HD 7850  (Read 4368 times)
Weapon X (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 19, 2012, 02:30:25 AM

hey people, i've bought a month ago an XFX Radeon HD 7850 and i put it to mine.

As anyone would i've overclocked it to the max overclock AMD Catalyst control center allowed me to, and i got a 315 hashrate using Diablo's GPU Miner ( https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1721.0 ). I have a Phenom II X6 which i put to mine too to have a little HR increase, using Pooler CPUMiner ( https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=55038.0 )

Tho, one day just for messing around i overclocked the CPU through the BIOS and another day i started messing around with the MSI Control Center, long story short: i've found out that after overclocking through raising the FSB on the BIOS to 222 MHZ and then lowering through the MSI control center close to the default value i had an HR increase from the GPU from 315 MH/s to 344 MH/s. Why does it happen? i have no idea, but it happens.

Now, if i lower the FSB frequency below 204 mhz, system crashes.

This is my experience, if anyone wants to give it a try do it at your own risk, i've been like this by 2 weeks now and it's stable and my computer works normally so far.

Another setting i made at the CCC, was to manually set the fan at 99% and as a little precaution, once i close Diablo Miner, i let the fan cool the GPU for a few minutes before turning off the computer.

Just that, my contribution Smiley
fruitklah

Activity: 7

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 02:22:26 PM

I got a Sapphire Model of that card and I downloaded the Sapphire Trixx overclocking tool..figured I might use the software made for the hardware.

I overclocked the GPU Clock to 1150mhz, but that would end up with blue screens and scary behaviour. Reduced it to 1133mhz and kept the memory clock at 900mhz (also reduced it when I tried 1150/900.

I've read about how one could overclock it to 1200mhz, but I'm afraid it's a cooling problem, my motherboard is a bit cheap...there's only one plug for a chassis fan, this is an older desktop case and it is made to have one fan push air in and one at the top with air out...this was happening before I had to change motherboard due to a fucking electrical problem.

Anyways, I get 340/Mhash second, so far I seem to be the one with the best performance with this model.

I'm gonna buy a 7870 (I understand there is no 7890 and that the crossfire thing allows for different models of the same series (78xx). Or maybe just another 7850, the performance of the 7870 doesn't seem that much better. I gotta find a way to have my top fan functioning...I've seen power cables for hard drives have a split for fans on other desktops before (hell, I think it was the way things were on my old motherboard).

I've made 0,07 in a month...I'm just doing it for fun right now since I have free electricity, but with 2 of those I imagine I'll get a much more worthy use of Diablominer (I almost forgot to mention I use the same miner as you).

If someone could help me out on how to overclock this card in linux i'd be grateful, I expect even better performance in there...I installed all it needed for guiminer to detect it (Pitcairn) in LMDE so..
just_me

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

Jesus Christ Saves Sinners

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 04:44:59 PM

Sure if he wants to mine Scrypt, that works.

Does Diablo even support scypt??

I thought block erupters were only for mining bitcoins? whereas the AMD 7850 is more dynamic and can mine bitcoins but the
competition from the asics makes it almost pointless, so the 7850 is mainly applicable to coins other than bitcoin.

Today is the day that the Lord has made, lets be glad and rejoice in it
cesmak
Legendary

Activity: 1053
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 05:13:43 PM

Nobody noticed the first post was 1 year ago ? AUGUST 2012 !!!
DodoB

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 06:00:15 PM

I got a Sapphire Model of that card and I downloaded the Sapphire Trixx overclocking tool..figured I might use the software made for the hardware.

I overclocked the GPU Clock to 1150mhz, but that would end up with blue screens and scary behaviour. Reduced it to 1133mhz and kept the memory clock at 900mhz (also reduced it when I tried 1150/900.

I've read about how one could overclock it to 1200mhz, but I'm afraid it's a cooling problem, my motherboard is a bit cheap...there's only one plug for a chassis fan, this is an older desktop case and it is made to have one fan push air in and one at the top with air out...this was happening before I had to change motherboard due to a fucking electrical problem.

Anyways, I get 340/Mhash second, so far I seem to be the one with the best performance with this model.

I'm gonna buy a 7870 (I understand there is no 7890 and that the crossfire thing allows for different models of the same series (78xx). Or maybe just another 7850, the performance of the 7870 doesn't seem that much better. I gotta find a way to have my top fan functioning...I've seen power cables for hard drives have a split for fans on other desktops before (hell, I think it was the way things were on my old motherboard).

I've made 0,07 in a month...I'm just doing it for fun right now since I have free electricity, but with 2 of those I imagine I'll get a much more worthy use of Diablominer (I almost forgot to mention I use the same miner as you).

If someone could help me out on how to overclock this card in linux i'd be grateful, I expect even better performance in there...I installed all it needed for guiminer to detect it (Pitcairn) in LMDE so..

this post is 1 year old,why bumping?
fruitklah

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 11:57:14 PM

I thought block erupters were only for mining bitcoins? whereas the AMD 7850 is more dynamic and can mine bitcoins but the
competition from the asics makes it almost pointless, so the 7850 is mainly applicable to coins other than bitcoin.

I know about the Asics, unfortunately I joined late in this thing. Sorry for replying to a post a year old but it was one that was relevant to my post, I prefered to do this than create another thread. ASICs so far seem hard to get, I've read about how the "best" manufacturers send the card 6 months after payment and other things like that. Like I said, I'm just doing this for fun and learning since I have free electricity in my condo. Two of those cards together with proper cooling will get me 1Ghash/s and I'm fine with that. I've made 0,7btc in a month of pool mining with Diablominer (the best miner for this card by far), it's surprising how just such a small amount of btc can actually be used to buy things.

Now if somebody can answer my former post instead of just talking about other things. Is there a .deb for an overclocking program for linux, mostly for AMD cards obviously.
Truecoin

Activity: 312

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 09:31:54 AM

Now if somebody can answer my former post instead of just talking about other things. Is there a .deb for an overclocking program for linux, mostly for AMD cards obviously.

How about this https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=17585.0

pontiacg5

Activity: 364

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 02:56:32 PM

.07 btc = $10 now. You can buy a lot with $10?

A 7950 is more energy efficient than a 7970, but if power isn't a problem (cost) than the 7970 is a better choice. The 7990 is two 7970's on one board, and AMD has new cards coming out soon (already even?) that might do better than a 7970, but not at the new release price...

You will make more money mining altcoins, at least from what I hear. You'll make more bitcoins buying usb block eruptors instead of any AMD card though, and you can find those all day long.

Do what you do though, I understand blowing money on mining stuff with no real hope of any return.

Please DO NOT send me private messages asking for help setting up GPU miners. I will not respond!!!
Beymond

Activity: 462

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 03:17:46 PM

overclock ~
fruitklah

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 09:26:31 AM

.07 btc = $10 now. You can buy a lot with $10?

A 7950 is more energy efficient than a 7970, but if power isn't a problem (cost) than the 7970 is a better choice. The 7990 is two 7970's on one board, and AMD has new cards coming out soon (already even?) that might do better than a 7970, but not at the new release price...

You will make more money mining altcoins, at least from what I hear. You'll make more bitcoins buying usb block eruptors instead of any AMD card though, and you can find those all day long.

Do what you do though, I understand blowing money on mining stuff with no real hope of any return.

First, thanks to the person finding me a linux overclocking tool.

Secondly, Yeah, I understand the pessimism, but aren't the different kind of coins totally useless to buy things on the internet ? With my now..0,088 amount of btc, there is indeed stores that will take that without me having to turn it into real cash.

MtGox is a joke with all the real life identification and the alternatives (the 2 of them I found) are closed, so I won't be turning any digital currency into real money anytime soon.

The Block Eruptors....is this just like an Asic card ?Nevermind, they are usb devices eh ? Can you point me out to a reliable source for these ? I'll take all what's needed, I can still do a lot regarding btc imo with the free electricity. Someone on irc told me about 150 dollars ASIC cards being slightly more performant than this 7850. It doesn't matter much to me...right now since I already have another 7850 coming in the mail right now to crossfire and have close to 1GHash/s once I get the cooling optimized in that box, it'll be a piece of cake to overclock both of these cards to 1300mhz and I know it's safe, I've seen setups (which I am trying to copy) do that.

I know I have joined late, I knew about btc since a couple years now but I didn't expect them to amount to anything.
fattypig

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2013, 12:18:58 PM

Please use CGminer instead.

pontiacg5

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 01:55:56 PM

$150 ASIC is a lot more efficient than any gaming card, I'd expect $150 of asics to buy nearly 5GH/s now. Block eruptors can be had for $12, so $150 of those would get you 4Gh/s (not counting hubs, though...)

It's real easy to trade altcoins for bitcoins, usually easier than converting to fiat at least. Gox is a joke, at least for americans, but there are other ways to buy and sell still. Plus you could get to have some fun "playing the market" even if it is only with $10  Grin

There are a few places still selling the USB eruptors, ebay has decent deals every now and again. I honestly don't know the "best" place to look any more though, I haven't been keeping track and they change price daily it seems.

Good luck getting rid of all the heat, it's going to be difficult!

Please DO NOT send me private messages asking for help setting up GPU miners. I will not respond!!!
fruitklah

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 03:26:10 PM

CGMiner, at least in linux, isn't getting to the performance I can get out of Diablo in Windows....right now Diablo in linux is giving me 315M/hash x2, cos I got my second 7850 Cheesy (keep in mind that once I upgrade to better things, I needed better gpu for the few games I am playing these days). I just bought 4 Block Eruptors on ebay, which ill get pretty fast, in my province in canada. Yeah I'm glad not to be american, I'll be using Gox as there is no other alternative right now.

As for the heat, I got a case...well I don't know the name of the case by heart, but it has 2 large fans on both sides of the case and the box's sides is full of holes like a window screen, these 2 mining at 315 right now in linux are staying at around 52 celcius.

I'll have to go mine in Windows unfortunately, the amdutils and the gui for it isn't able to do like the Sapphire Trixxx software, I can't overclock the gpu over 1050, I overclock to 1150 in windows and I get 347.

These Block Eruptors, if I get a hub and fill it with the 4 BE's, will the hub crap on me or I should be using the regular USB entries on my box ?

Thanks a lot guys.

I don't know where to get one of them 150 dollars ASIC's by the way....i've looked around (for brand new  ones) and they were all 1000+ dollars devices and that is just ridiculous for me now, I'm not done with pharmacy school Wink
pontiacg5

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 05:02:48 PM

CGMiner, at least in linux, isn't getting to the performance I can get out of Diablo in Windows....right now Diablo in linux is giving me 315M/hash x2, cos I got my second 7850 Cheesy (keep in mind that once I upgrade to better things, I needed better gpu for the few games I am playing these days). I just bought 4 Block Eruptors on ebay, which ill get pretty fast, in my province in canada. Yeah I'm glad not to be american, I'll be using Gox as there is no other alternative right now.

As for the heat, I got a case...well I don't know the name of the case by heart, but it has 2 large fans on both sides of the case and the box's sides is full of holes like a window screen, these 2 mining at 315 right now in linux are staying at around 52 celcius.

I'll have to go mine in Windows unfortunately, the amdutils and the gui for it isn't able to do like the Sapphire Trixxx software, I can't overclock the gpu over 1050, I overclock to 1150 in windows and I get 347.

These Block Eruptors, if I get a hub and fill it with the 4 BE's, will the hub crap on me or I should be using the regular USB entries on my box ?

Thanks a lot guys.

I don't know where to get one of them 150 dollars ASIC's by the way....i've looked around (for brand new  ones) and they were all 1000+ dollars devices and that is just ridiculous for me now, I'm not done with pharmacy school Wink

Wow, 52C with two cards full tilt in a case? I wish I could pull that off!

As far as USB eruptors and hubs, yeah you can burn out a hub (or the hub's power supply) but miners won't work properly on underpowered hubs. If you search for USB block eruptor hubs you should find a good thread breaking down popular hubs and how many they are capable of running. Each header in your computer should be capable of running two eruptors, not each port but generally each pair of two. I've run 4 off the motherboard directly before, though most would discourage doing that. Hubs are cheaper than mobos, and BE's get hot.

There is no "$150" ASIC that I know of, I sorta just figured he meant spending up to $150 on ASICs. 

fruitklah

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 03:50:52 AM

Wow, 52C with two cards full tilt in a case? I wish I could pull that off!

http://images.highspeedbackbone.net/SkuImages/gallery/large/U12-42152_phgallery01_sdg_gl_2851012.jpg

I have case like this, except the fans are even larger and that mining box is down in my second basement/wine cellar. (yup, with wiring in the floor coming and out to my desk.

As far as USB eruptors and hubs, yeah you can burn out a hub (or the hub's power supply) but miners won't work properly on underpowered hubs. If you search for USB block eruptor hubs you should find a good thread breaking down popular hubs and how many they are capable of running. Each header in your computer should be capable of running two eruptors, not each port but generally each pair of two. I've run 4 off the motherboard directly before, though most would discourage doing that. Hubs are cheaper than mobos, and BE's get hot.

There is no "$150" ASIC that I know of, I sorta just figured he meant spending up to $150 on ASICs. 

Thanks for the info, I might just put the BE's on another of my desktops then. To the person pushing CGMiner....I haven't tried it in windows yet, but in linux it results in massive slowdown of basic computer usage (browsing, banshee playing music) and is unable to go past 299mh/s.I'll see in windows but the very faq here about video card models specify diablominer being ideal for these 7850's.

It's too late for me to go back and by something from the 79xx series, those Sapphire Radeons HD 7850 were 230 dollars (199+tax).

Now if only I knew what's happening to Slush's Pool and why suddenly my rewards are half what they were 4 days ago. I guess some rich leech with Butterfly Labs dongles decided to use a pool made for noobs, if I had that power I'd just mine solo  Roll Eyes
cesmak
Legendary

Activity: 1053
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 05:16:47 AM

Now if only I knew what's happening to Slush's Pool and why suddenly my rewards are half what they were 4 days ago. I guess some rich leech with Butterfly Labs dongles decided to use a pool made for noobs, if I had that power I'd just mine solo  Roll Eyes

3 days ago on 16 October difficulty made another rise step of about 40%, that's why your rewards drop down....
Shallow

Activity: 938
Merit: 255

SmartFi - EARN, LEND & TRADE

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 08:47:47 AM

Hmmm i have two of these running so i'll check it out.

████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
...The Open..............
...Lending Platform...
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄██████████▀▀▀▀███████▄
█████████▀        ███████
████████▀        ▄█████████
█████████       ▄▀▀██████████
█████████     ▄▀   ▀█████████
██████████  ▄▀      █████████
█████████▀▀       ▄████████
███████        ▄█████████
▀███████▄▄▄▄██████████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
.SMARTFI..████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
...Join the SmartFi.....
...Token Sale...
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
██████                ██████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
The Goat Master

Activity: 868
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 02:06:08 PM

you can use them to mine other coins too

██
         ▄▄▀  ▀▄
        ▄▀▀▄▄▄  ▀▄
      ▄██▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▀▄
    ▄▀ █  ▄▄▀▀ █  █ ▀▄▄
  ▄▀  ██▀█ ▄▀▀▄ █ █  █▀▄
██   █ █▐▌█ ██ █ ██ █   ██
  ▀▄█  █ █ ▀▄▄▀▄▄███  ▄▀
   ▀▀▄ █▄▄█▄█▀▀   █ ▄▀
      ▀▄▀▀▄▄ ▀▀▀▀██▀
        ▀▄  ▀▀▄▄▄▀
          ▀▄  ▄▀▀
            ██
    ▄▄███████▄▄
  ▄███▀▀   ▀▀███▄
 ███▀         ▀▀
███
███
███
 ███▄         ▄▄
  ▀███▄▄   ▄▄███▀
    ▀▀███████▀▀
██████████▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███▄
          ▀██▌
          ▄██▌
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
██████████▀
██▌    ▀███▄
██▌      ▀███▄
██▌        ▀███
█████████████

█████████████

█████████████
        ██
       ████
      ██▌▐██
     ██▌  ▐██
    ██▌    ▐██
   ██▌      ▐██
  ██▌        ▐██
 ██▌          ▐██
██▌    ███████████
██████████████▌
      ██▌
      ██▌
      ██▌
      ██▌
      ██▌
      ██▌
      ██▌
      ██▌
    ▄▄███████▄▄
  ▄███▀▀   ▀▀███▄
 ███▀         ▀███
███             ███
███             ███
███             ███
 ███▄         ▄███
  ▀███▄▄   ▄▄███▀
    ▀▀███████▀▀
██████████▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███▄
          ▀██▌
          ▄██▌
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
██████████▀
██▌    ▀███▄
██▌      ▀███▄
██▌        ▀███

▄▄
████
 ▀▀
        ██
       ████
      ██▌▐██
     ██▌  ▐██
    ██▌    ▐██
   ██▌      ▐██
  ██▌        ▐██
 ██▌          ▐██
██▌    ███████████
██▌
██▌
██▌
██▌
██▌
██▌
██▌
██▌
██▌
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███

███
███
.▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    WHITEPAPER    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀.
FACEBOOK       REDDIT       TELEGRAM
BITCOINTALK   TWITTER   INSTAGRAM
fruitklah

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 02:09:38 PM

If the block eruptors do not work with diablominer its not a big deal, I'm putting them on another desktop anyway, I'll use whatever is best for them when I get them in the mail.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: