Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 08:24:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What if YOU could put 1 feature, change, whatever, into the Bitcoin protocol?  (Read 3134 times)
r3wt

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

always the student, never the master.

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 05:52:26 PM

I would replace the JSON RPC with some form of bi-directional long lived connection. websockets for instance could be perfect. websockets over tls offers a long lived, low latency ish connection between app and the bitcoin client. i think it would be awesome.

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2015, 06:00:09 PM

everything is perfect for now. the rest of the system will adapt changes if necessary.

herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2015, 06:13:13 PM

One change that  I would implement first and foremost. Is a way to prevent the 51% attack from ever being carried out.
Dont ask me how I would go about it, but its something that should be at the top of EVERYONE's list whos interested in the survivability of Bitcoin longterm. As long as the 51% attack exists .. Bitcoin never stands to become a worldwide dominant currency, because its really not 'trustless' long as 51% attack is possible.

that's one example for a rainbow unicorn in the sky. Without a central authority, 51% is the largest consensus, and thus "the truth" almost by definition in *any* decentralized system.

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2015, 06:24:26 PM

I'd implement a change to decrease the average timer between blocks to 1 min or so.
That would be extremely useful harm the security of Bitcoin.
FTFY.

One change that  I would implement first and foremost. Is a way to prevent the 51% attack from ever being carried out.
Dont ask me how I would go about it, but its something that should be at the top of EVERYONE's list whos interested in the survivability of Bitcoin longterm. As long as the 51% attack exists .. Bitcoin never stands to become a worldwide dominant currency, because its really not 'trustless' long as 51% attack is possible.
I'm going to have to agree with this one. As for the first and foremost feature I'd be looking out to solve security issues like this one. If I had another wish I'd slow down the distribution of the coins for now.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Jakesy

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 06:50:08 PM

I'd request a memo line with transactions. Sure it might add bloat, but it is so practical with a public ledger.

That's what your wallet is for - it can privately label your transactions.
Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 07:01:49 PM

1. I would build in P2P mining by default, so we get rid of centralized mining pools and diminish any 51% risks.

2. I would increase the average block frequency to once per 90 seconds.

3. Rather than halving every 4 years, I would have set the reward to gradually increase during the first 5 years, and then gradually decrease (like 10% every year) indefinitely.

4. Rather than retargeting every 2016 blocks, I would gradually retarget after every block (based on a weighted average of the past week worth of blocks, putting more weight on recent blocks).

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 07:11:19 PM
Last edit: April 08, 2015, 08:01:18 PM by Amph

One change that  I would implement first and foremost. Is a way to prevent the 51% attack from ever being carried out.

there isn't already a solution comining to it(still experimental but...it is on the way)? it's called supernode, if i'm not mistaken they have the task to check if the last block is the most valid based on its transaction history, so the longest chain don't count anymore
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 07:20:40 PM

Every time a block is found I'd have the official Bitcoin client send a command to a connected 3d pastry printer to print a dozen donuts. Then I'd crowd fund sending a specially designed pastry printer with a client built in to every federal law enforcement office in the USA. Then the Feds would kill to make sure the Bitcoin network is safe. You would start seeing "I Support Bitcoin" bumper stickers on the back of black unmarked SUVs all over the country.

gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 07:27:20 PM

I'm perfectly happy with how it operates at the moment. Uncool but true. Many present gripes will be addressed by layers built on top.

If we're allowed to run with our pie in the sky ideas, it would involve wiping out the centralisation of mining at its core and having the mining algorithm serve a worthier purpose on the side.
ensurance982 (OP)

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Trust me!

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 09:06:28 PM

Block reward down to every year.

You mean block reward halving?

Yes halving, that would cause some fireworks.

You wouldn't necessarily have to cut down the reward in half every year, you could just go and multiply it by 0.9 or something, which would smoothen things up a bit.

We Support Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP
ensurance982 (OP)

Trust me!

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 09:08:15 PM

I believe that this is very very difficult to do. You effectively have to have some mechanism that can't be faked or fooled. You have to keep in mind that it's easy to pretend to be different persons/entities. The system won't even know!

ensurance982 (OP)

Trust me!

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 09:11:12 PM

Every time a block is found I'd have the official Bitcoin client send a command to a connected 3d pastry printer to print a dozen donuts. Then I'd crowd fund sending a specially designed pastry printer with a client built in to every federal law enforcement office in the USA. Then the Feds would kill to make sure the Bitcoin network is safe. You would start seeing "I Support Bitcoin" bumper stickers on the back of black unmarked SUVs all over the country.

Ha, that's what I was aiming at with this thread: improvements and suggestions that aren't dead serious Cheesy I like many of the ideas around here, but they are mostly pretty 'altcoiny', I want truly groundbreaking ideas.

Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 09:55:58 PM

like edonkey network (or kad network) in emule software, if bitcoin core can integrate a counter of nodes (per hour) and number of BTC transmitted per hour ... it could be cool to see.
ensurance982 (OP)

Trust me!

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 10:38:08 PM

like edonkey network (or kad network) in emule software, if bitcoin core can integrate a counter of nodes (per hour) and number of BTC transmitted per hour ... it could be cool to see.

But those metrics are already inherently available already, you only need to gather those information and make them available to the person using your client. Don't think this is something that needs to be incorporated into the core protocol.

Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 11:12:40 PM

in prefer "in the core" ... instead of in the web (that it can easly shutdown a domain name).
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2015, 11:20:28 PM

I would change the protocol so that exchanges could no longer be "hacked" or flash crashed - every order would require a signature from the owner of the BTC made within the last block, before it fills.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 11:29:43 PM

This. Best feature so far.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
ensurance982 (OP)

Trust me!

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 11:56:45 PM

I would change the protocol so that exchanges could no longer be "hacked" or flash crashed - every order would require a signature from the owner of the BTC made within the last block, before it fills.

Huh, interesting concept. I think a lot of the quick acting exchanges couldn't work that way anymore, though. I believe what you want is multisig-exchanges, so at least no one can withdraw the coins without the holder's consent. Also that isn't feasible in some case, though.

dasource

Activity: 821
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 12:49:29 AM

everything is perfect for now. the rest of the system will adapt changes if necessary.

Could not agree more

^ I am with STUPID!
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 12:56:25 AM

IMO, the changes should not be on the protocol, but on the team that write the core nodes. In fact, only a few of core devs control the git hub, this means if these people are compromised, then the whole bitcoin project is down. They must get enough protection

Gavin also said that it is difficult to reach consensus between core devs. Since the decision of a protocol change is seldom a technical but a political one, they really need some kind of transparent decision making mechanism

In fact, infrastructure wise the bitcoin has many area to improve to become a truly trusted world currency, there are so many uncertainties in its security model. Today, people just download a software and pray for the rest part, but when a retirement fund wants to put billions of dollar in this currency for 20 years, the bitcoin network is still not enough robust in many aspects. The risk of ruin is still larger than our financial system today

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: