Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 04:27:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: This is the end  (Read 7285 times)
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 04:53:52 PM

Have to remember, that vendors on that silk road can hedge their btc to protect themselves against swings like this...I think it only costs them 4 percent or so, (been a long time since i read a thread over there, maybe its changed by now, but at least thats the way it was a couple months ago)

AR

Sure you can always do something. 4% sounds OK. But you also have to learn how to hedge and then hedge the deals. Does your time have no value?

I'm not positive since I'm not a user/seller of SR, but I've heard that the hedging is a built in functionality.  The 4% you pay is so you don't have to learn to do it yourself.

That is my understand as well just remember hedging simply transfers the volatility risk to someone else (in this case the site operator and/or backers providing the hedging).  If volatility increases the risk increases and either they are forced to stop offering it or charging more.   No matter who is doing the hedging volatility costs users who are using Bitcoin as a payment mechanism.  More volatility = higher costs and lower value/utility.

If they make an actual trade to back it, there is a very small window of vulnerability.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
pyromaniac

Activity: 639
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 04:54:03 PM

"SR is not needed for over 99% bitcoin users"

SR is a large part of btc economy. A part that is actually not about speculation. I don't like junkies, but at least they are using btc the way it should be.

Not everyone who gets some shrooms every other month is a junkie. Not everyone who enjoys a glass of wine in the evening is a drinker.
It's offtopic, but the question on this answer is much more difficult than "Yes" or "No". No, medically he isn't addict, but the law is not on his side. Anyway, any illegal uses of bitcoin giving more reasons to goverment to close it.

You are, of course, referring to the One World Government and/or Illuminati here, right?
Yep.

bigasic

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 05:01:03 PM

Have to remember, that vendors on that silk road can hedge their btc to protect themselves against swings like this...I think it only costs them 4 percent or so, (been a long time since i read a thread over there, maybe its changed by now, but at least thats the way it was a couple months ago)

AR

Sure you can always do something. 4% sounds OK. But you also have to learn how to hedge and then hedge the deals. Does your time have no value?

I'm not positive since I'm not a user/seller of SR, but I've heard that the hedging is a built in functionality.  The 4% you pay is so you don't have to learn to do it yourself.

That is my understand as well just remember hedging simply transfers the volatility risk to someone else (in this case the site operator and/or backers providing the hedging).  If volatility increases the risk increases and either they are forced to stop offering it or charging more.   No matter who is doing the hedging volatility costs users who are using Bitcoin as a payment mechanism.  More volatility = higher costs and lower value/utility.

If they make an actual trade to back it, there is a very small window of vulnerability.

Just  checked it out.. It an automated system on SR. the admins take all the risk, all the vendor has to do is click a button to hedge. It looks like you just have to know what hedging is and then click the button. Man, there are some pretty business savy drug people.. Didn't realize that SR was that far in their thinking...

So, they obviously have figured out a way to help ease the minds of vendors that can't take the swings.

AR
pyromaniac

Activity: 639

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 05:09:58 PM

but the law is not on his side.

This is really one of the most stupid arguments I have ever heard. The law is not on the side of every single victim of the law. The law is not on the side of Pussy Riot or Assange. It was not on the side of Geronimo and it is not on the side of Salman Rushdie. The law was not on the side of the Jews, it was on the side of the Nazis.

Exactly what is the law doing when whipping a wine drinker bloody or jailing a fan of shrooms?

You must have to remember that we live not in vacuum, but in society with real people, who do not want to be abused by crazy mushroomeater with sharp knife. If someone don't like this, he can make his own heaven with blackjack and hookers.

notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 07:41:33 PM

but the law is not on his side.

This is really one of the most stupid arguments I have ever heard. The law is not on the side of every single victim of the law. The law is not on the side of Pussy Riot or Assange. It was not on the side of Geronimo and it is not on the side of Salman Rushdie. The law was not on the side of the Jews, it was on the side of the Nazis.

Exactly what is the law doing when whipping a wine drinker bloody or jailing a fan of shrooms?

You must have to remember that we live not in vacuum, but in society with real people, who do not want to be abused by crazy mushroomeater with sharp knife. If someone don't like this, he can make his own heaven with blackjack and hookers.

I have never seen anybody on mushrooms violently attack anyone.  K2, alcohol, and other legal substances are a different story.

Nice try though.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 07:43:39 PM

Here we go again.  Roll Eyes The expert with a 20 post count is schooling us on economics.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
amencon

Activity: 410
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 01:04:39 AM

Stupid Bitcoin, can't even die correctly.
Rygon

Activity: 520

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 12:56:20 PM

It's really difficult to reduce the volatility when we can't move USD in and out of the market very quickly. The same goes for arbitrage. These drops wouldn't be so bad if it didn't take days for people to move fiat into the system to establish a floor. Otherwise, we need more people with big pockets to keep fiat floating on the exchanges doing nothing, just waiting for a big drop.
unclescrooge
aka Raphy

Activity: 868

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 01:12:15 PM

Yes we need big players.

But don't worry, they'll come with time Smiley
thezerg
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 02:00:54 PM

It's really difficult to reduce the volatility when we can't move USD in and out of the market very quickly. The same goes for arbitrage. These drops wouldn't be so bad if it didn't take days for people to move fiat into the system to establish a floor. Otherwise, we need more people with big pockets to keep fiat floating on the exchanges doing nothing, just waiting for a big drop.

Its not deep pocketed players we need for that but exchanges we trust to not get hacked...
goodlord666

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

100%

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 03:06:27 PM

why did a troll post get this many replies and views?

SkRRJyTC
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 03:17:57 PM

why did a troll post get this many replies and views?

Good title.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: