Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:14:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Pirate Warned Us  (Read 5388 times)
mb300sd
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

Drunk Posts

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2012, 01:47:17 AM

Yah someone who at best controls 3-4% of btc is completely in control of the economy.

We have billionaires that only control .005% of the real world economy being accused of controlling it. Accurately.

3-4% of all BTC is vastly more than the currency trade volume.

edit - 500k BTC is an even 5%, anyway.
5% assuming that none of the 10M BTC is unrecoverable or in the hands of people with no interest in selling ever.

Well, someone just recovered ~45k... lets pray they don't dump.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=101847

1D7FJWRzeKa4SLmTznd3JpeNU13L1ErEco

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitcon
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1008

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 02:04:44 AM

Yah someone who at best controls 3-4% of btc is completely in control of the economy.

We have billionaires that only control .005% of the real world economy being accused of controlling it. Accurately.

5% assuming that none of the 10M BTC is unrecoverable or in the hands of people with no interest in selling ever.

unless you want to buy some cheap coins then, you'd pray he would dump
bitarrow

Activity: 184
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 02:09:33 AM

yes i need to go under $7, let him dump!
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 02:27:33 AM

Cross posting this obviously, but if you guys really think Pirate is full of shit and a scammer, you need to see this. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=101751

bitcon
Legendary

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 02:47:30 AM

alright, just what we need - another scam.

i'm starting my own Bet.  If Matthew N. Wright actually pays anyone that wins the bet against him that Pirate40 paysout i will return 200% to any bet placers. any takers?
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 03:21:45 AM

i'm starting my own Bet.  If Matthew N. Wright actually pays anyone that wins the bet against him that Pirate40 paysout i will return 200% to any bet placers. any takers?

Ironic, considering the entire point of the bet was to teach people a lesson who make accusations without any evidence. I guess I need to teach you a lesson as well. If you think that bet was a scam, I will escrow 100BTC with you right now (surely you can afford it since you were willing to offer 1200BTC to anyone who won my bet) that it is not a scam. If you don't do it, we know who the real scammer is, and with your track record of lies (how's your wife doing?) that should already be obvious.

Ball's in your court.

tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 03:34:23 AM

...  September Gavin will be announcing CIA takeover of all bitcoin development with Pirate being promoted to Director.

No problem.  That's what God created forks for.

And if the blockchain forks in relationship to a codebase fork I'm cool with that too...as long as it doesn't back-track to half a year ago when I last did a transaction I'll just control the same percentage value in more than one blockchain.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 03:37:29 AM

...  September Gavin will be announcing CIA takeover of all bitcoin development with Pirate being promoted to Director.

And if the blockchain forks in relationship to a codebase fork I'm cool with that too...as long as it doesn't back-track to half a year ago when I last did a transaction I'll just control the same percentage value in more than one blockchain.

Until someone you send BTC to rebroadcasts your transaction on the other chain...

This is easy to avoid though, just remember to send all your coins to a fresh, unique address on each chain shortly after the fork.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 04:04:10 AM

Until someone you send BTC to rebroadcasts your transaction on the other chain...

This is easy to avoid though, just remember to send all your coins to a fresh, unique address on each chain shortly after the fork.

One of the reason I have a multitude of not only addresses but completely independent wallet files is for flexibility in dealing with a lot of issues which could theoretically crop up.  I wanted a bulk of my holdings planted as deeply in the blockchain as possible.  If transferring value to a new address is the best way to solve a given problem and if it can be done without compromising the value I hold in other chain forks then that is what I might do.  Carefully.

In any event I see it as unlikely to need to worry about any of this stuff to terribly much at this point.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
bitcon
Legendary

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 04:28:51 AM

Ironic, considering the entire point of the bet was to teach people a lesson who make accusations without any evidence. I guess I need to teach you a lesson as well. If you think that bet was a scam, I will escrow 100BTC with you right now (surely you can afford it since you were willing to offer 1200BTC to anyone who won my bet) that it is not a scam. If you don't do it, we know who the real scammer is, and with your track record of lies (how's your wife doing?) that should already be obvious.

Ball's in your court.

how about the lesson of not sending your money to strangers?  when are you going to teach people that lesson? i may lie to try to get a rise out of ppl but i don't try to scam people out of money or stick up for people like pirate40. i don't stoop that low.
miscreanity (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 04:35:28 AM

he contradicts himself.

<pirateat40> There is no point in the last 7 months that I've not been in control of the market.[/b]
<pirateat40> this is the first time ive ever played the market.

Control is one thing, such as pushing the price back into a stable range. Cornering or playing the market is another, especially when it's disruptive.
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 04:37:38 AM

That was a very profitable post for me. I plan to dump.
bitcon
Legendary

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 05:12:56 AM

just the 100 coins tho right?
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 05:23:38 AM

just the 100 coins tho right?

yes. just the 100 + mining results from the weekend.

i wish i had 40K in bitcoins! heh.
Frankie

Activity: 206
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 05:33:32 AM

I was just going to offer a similar bet, but only even money.

You need to change "anyone" to "everyone," because one payment would make you a loser.
anu
Legendary

Activity: 1218

RepuX - Enterprise Blockchain Protocol

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 05:56:17 AM

I get a serious impression that some here believe that Pirate is their savior, that he can throw lightning and part the seas.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
███████████▄    ▄███████████
█████████████▄▄█████████████
████████████████████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
  ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▄████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████▄
█████████████▀▀█████████████
███████████▀    ▀███████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
RepuX▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
.Decentralized Data & Applications Protocol For SMEs.
▔▔▔▔  ●  Twitter  ●  Facebook  ●  Bitcointalk  ●  Reddit  ●  ▔▔▔▔
▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
Enterprise Blockchain Protocol
.GET WHITELISTED.
Token Sale starts 6th of February 2018
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 06:41:52 AM

I get a serious impression that some here believe that Pirate is their savior, that he can throw lightning and part the seas.

Pirate has managed to develop a perception of power (like the United States.)  Though it is hard to know for sure, I suspect that this perception is much greater than his actual capabilities (again, not unlike the United States.)

One thing that is clear, however, is that a perception of great power has a deep psychological effect on a certain class of people and that can be leveraged for a lot of purposes...including robbing them blind.

Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2012, 07:30:53 AM

I think this is a much more significant quote. Isn't this him basically admitting that he's a noob when it comes to controlling/manipulating the market? I'd expect him to really mess up and let it run away from him the first time he's trying to learn how to do it.
miscreanity (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 08:07:22 AM

Pirate has managed to develop a perception of power (like the United States.)  Though it is hard to know for sure, I suspect that this perception is much greater than his actual capabilities (again, not unlike the United States.)

One thing that is clear, however, is that a perception of great power has a deep psychological effect on a certain class of people and that can be leveraged for a lot of purposes...including robbing them blind.

Extreme claims are absurd. Quite simply, Pirate's operation appears to have been a stabilizing factor since it came into existence late last year. I'd rather have that than uncontrolled serial bubbles causing extreme volatility during an important phase of growth. Concerning as the amount of control is, if it can happen, it will happen.

As the market gains in size it'll become naturally more stable, and it's unlikely that BCS&T would be able to maintain. In a small market, it'd be quite easy for a participant of size to corner the market - potentially one without community involvement.

Question what the alternative would be. I'm sure none of us would be comfortable with Chuck Schumer running the show.

I think this is a much more significant quote. Isn't this him basically admitting that he's a noob when it comes to controlling/manipulating the market? I'd expect him to really mess up and let it run away from him the first time he's trying to learn how to do it.

Doubtful. I read it as that being the first time he directly caused major volatility in the Bitcoin market, not that he'd never done a trade before.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: