Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:18:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: How to Identify a Ponzi  (Read 2130 times)
smoothie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 06:35:40 PM

One clear sign that pirate was/is operating a ponzi is that he is forced to close his business because of the fact that many investors wanted to get their principal investment back at the same time. Otherwise why does it matter if they want their bitcoins and he has them right? Also there shouldn't be a delay if he has all of their funds. So far he hasn't returned all investor coins....

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Vladimir

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 06:40:50 PM

One clear sign that pirate was/is operating a ponzi is that he is forced to close his business because of the fact that many investors wanted to get their principal investment back at the same time. Otherwise why does it matter if they want their bitcoins and he has them right? Also there shouldn't be a delay if he has all of their funds. So far he hasn't returned all investor coins....

Yep, also note that not a single repayment was made/reported today. If this was a genuine op and knowing the allegations surely a fund manager, with intention to pay anything at all soon, would do his damnest to pay today at least some "investors". This has not happened. Instead there is just "leaked" information that Pirate supposedly will be telling someone how he performed miracles. Right on...

-
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 06:48:07 PM

Yep, also note that not a single repayment was made/reported today. If this was a genuine op and knowing the allegations surely a fund manager, with intention to pay anything at all soon, would do his damnest to pay today at least some "investors". This has not happened. Instead there is just "leaked" information that Pirate supposedly will be telling someone how he performed miracles. Right on...

Fast repayment? Bitcoinica style? lol
smoothie (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 07:17:42 PM

bitcoinica style Cheesy ^ 2

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .

Vladimir

-

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 07:19:08 PM

bitcoinica style Cheesy ^ 2

infinity squared?
or
infinitely screwed?

-
dbox

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 07:55:15 PM

I think this forum shouldn't promote this kind of investment schemes. Many people don't know or don't want to believe that what's too good to be true, it's actually not true. Therfore, this Ponzi schemes should be spotted by more experienced members and the users promoting them should not be allowed to scam people using free (and effective) publicity.

Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 08:23:40 PM

I think this forum shouldn't promote this kind of investment schemes. Many people don't know or don't want to believe that what's too good to be true, it's actually not true. Therfore, this Ponzi schemes should be spotted by more experienced members and the users promoting them should not be allowed to scam people using free (and effective) publicity.
The libertarian in me is shouting you down. The tiny compassionate part agrees with you. The problem arises when deciding what guidelines to use in "identifying" a ponzi. All you can really do is state suspicion, unless there's some type of confession. As already shown in this thread, there are plenty of ponzis fitting the OP's loose definition, and ponzis, also, that run contrary to the loose definition - and a good bit of disagreement over what indicates a ponzi. I mean - what kind of rules should be in place? You must disclose all finances? You must release all government and other third-party identification when the legal definition of Bitcoin is up in the air? You must not return over 50% on investment per year?
smoothie (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 08:51:00 PM

LOL so pirate kicked me from #btcst yet he doesnt have enough time to return all the bitcoins bwahahahahahaha!

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 08:51:57 PM

LOL so pirate kicked me from #btcst yet he doesnt have enough time to return all the bitcoins bwahahahahahaha!

So you're saying he made you walk the plank?
smoothie (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 08:52:52 PM

No what I'm saying is obviously I got to him while posting my thoughts in his chatroom lol

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 08:59:02 PM

No what I'm saying is obviously I got to him while posting my thoughts in his chatroom lol

You shouldn't aggravate the poor guy. It is not easy instigating a market crash when MtGox mysteriously decided to have their live data stream suddenly completely fail today.
smoothie (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 09:06:07 PM

You shouldn't aggravate the poor guy. It is not easy instigating a market crash when MtGox mysteriously decided to have their live data stream suddenly completely fail today.

LOL that is quite a funny thought.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

hgmichna

Activity: 695
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 09:14:55 PM

I agree. However, there was ample information. Several regulars have kept warning the newbies and the math-challenged. Most did whatever they could to explain the Ponzi scheme and warn gullible investors.

I fear that most of this effort is in vain, because people just don't listen. When you dangle a 7% per week sign in front of newbies, some of them will apparently always fall for it. They believe in it because they want to believe it. Greed switches off the brain (if there is any).

One would think that the next time, perhaps a year from now, people would ask Vandroiy, Micon, or one of the other anti-scam evangelists for advice, but I am pretty sure that will not happen. They will fall for it again and again. Look at what happened with the Bernie Madoff Ponzi scheme outside the bitcoin realm. Watch the movie.

Moreover, many scams are still going on with triple-digit interest rates. Since their interest rates are somewhat lower than the ones of the pirate, those schemes can go on for longer and the precise time of their demise is not as easy to predict. It is pretty easy though to detect that they are scams. That has been described here in detail.

No matter how many predictions come true, people will not listen. For example, I predicted the scenario that the pirate rate reduction could trigger withdrawals, ending the Ponzi scheme. Exactly this has happened. I described this scenario clearly more than once (for example, here five days ago). Did that make anyone listen to me? No, probably not. Most people just don't listen and don't learn.

I personally cannot really complain, as these people are shoving bitcoins my way. Whoever can predict the future, wins. I almost feel bad by benefitting indirectly from scams. But, on the other hand, if the people who feed these scams disappeared, the scams would disappear with them, so this may be a good thing after all.
ErebusBat

Activity: 560

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 11:02:01 PM

Yes i agree... we should create a cabal to decide what is investment worthy and what isn't.

Also this same group should be responsible for padding all the corners of the forum so people dont hurt themselfs.

░▒▓█ Coinroll.it - 1% House Edge Dice Game █▓▒░ • Coinroll Thread • *FREE* 100 BTC Raffle

Signup for CEX.io BitFury exchange and get GHS Instantly!  Don't wait for shipping, mine NOW!
smoothie (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 20, 2012, 11:07:28 PM

Yes i agree... we should create a cabal to decide what is investment worthy and what isn't.

Also this same group should be responsible for padding all the corners of the forum so people dont hurt themselfs.

I think people should be able to make their own decision in investments, not matter how stupid they are.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

hgmichna

Activity: 695

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 06:22:28 AM

I think people should be able to make their own decision in investments, not matter how stupid they are.

They always can and some will do it anyway.

But I think some people, particularly newcomers, need a little help. Cooperation and a dose of altruism is the basis and the strength of the human civilization. Needs to be said from time to time.
Bascule

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 11:47:05 AM

It's quite easy, shut the long-term offers subforum, which is 100% Ponzi.

Vladimir

-

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 11:49:02 AM

It's quite easy, shut the long-term offers subforum, which is 100% Ponzi.

"long-term offer" is quite an euphemism.  Roll Eyes

-
dbox

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 12:09:30 PM

This kind of huge scams will certainly affect the bitcoin economy and credibility. And why are we browsing these forums? Only to speculate? That's why I think the moderators should ban anything that resembles to a ponzi scheme, to protect both users and bitcoin.

bitlane
Internet detective

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

I heart thebaron

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 12:42:08 PM

How does the 'Dead Man Switch' work again, exactly ?

I am confused....and still short a few Bitcoins.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: