Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 08:41:42 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Best darn idea since pool hopping!  (Read 2712 times)
d3m0n1q_733rz (OP)

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2012, 04:31:11 AM

Ever get that block solved that you wish you had been able to hold onto yourself?
Well, why not?
Solo mining won't accept the partial results that pools will, but they will accept the solved block.  SO, why not have your miner mining for both your solo miner and your pool miner at the same time?  Only, when you get that block solved, submit it to your solo miner for the full 50 BTC!
Yes, I know that this may cheat some pools out of BTC, but they each still have the data leading up to the block.
However, if done right, this might help to even the playing field for those with slow miners.   Grin

Funroll_Loops, the theoretically quicker breakfast cereal!
Check out http://www.facebook.com/JupiterICT for all of your computing needs.  If you need it, we can get it.  We have solutions for your computing conundrums.  BTC accepted!  12HWUSguWXRCQKfkPeJygVR1ex5wbg3hAq
Snapman

Activity: 291
Merit: 250

BTCRadio Owner

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2012, 04:34:00 AM

Doesnt work like that... If your attempting for two sources, your hash power will need to be split. Work produced under one pool cant be submitted to another.

BTCRadio: 17cafKShokyQCbaNuzaDo5HLoSnffMNPAs
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 04:34:30 AM

You do realize that:
The payout address is part of the coinbase tx?
The coinbase tx is part of the merkle tree?
The merkle tree produces the merkle root?
The merkle root is one of the 6 components in the block header?
The specific block header is what is hashed and compared against the target?

Thus the found block hash is only valid for that EXACT block.  Change any element of the block (like say the payout address) by even a single bit and the found block hash no longer "solves" the modified block.

TL/DR:
You didn't honestly think nobody thought of this till now right?  I mean 4 years of mining and nobody, not a single miner said.  Hey why give it to the pool when I can keep 50 BTC for me?  If you could do this pools could do it to each other too.  DeepBit takes every other miners blocks changes the reward address to their reward address and claims credit.   Of course if you could change the coinbase you could change any tx so double spends would be trivially easy and the proof of work would be proof of absolutely nothing.

but they each still have the data leading up to the block.
There is no "leading up to a block".  Each hash is unique and independent.  Like a lottery ticket.  The hash/ticket is either a winner (solves a block) or it isn't (worthless and thus doesn't improve the odds of any other hash).
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 04:43:16 AM

You do realize that:

Thus the found block hash is only valid for that EXACT block.  Change any element of the block (like say the payout address) by even a single bit and the found block hash no longer "solves" the modified block.

TL/DR:
You didn't honestly think nobody thought of this till now right?  I mean 4 years of mining and nobody, not a single miner said.  Hey why give it to the pool when I can keep 50 BTC for me?  If you could do this pools could do it to each other too.  DeepBit takes every other miners blocks changes the reward address to their reward address and claims credit.   Of course if you could change the coinbase you could change any tx so double spends would be trivially easy and the proof of work would be proof of absolutely nothing.

There is no "leading up to a block".  Each hash is unique and independent.  Like a lottery ticket.  The hash/ticket is either a winner (solves a block) or it isn't (worthless and thus doesn't improve the odds of any other hash).

I was just about to reply saying that mining software doesn't actually check to see if a hash is a valid block (that's the pools job), but it looks like someone mush more knowledgeable than me has already debunked the OP's little spurt of whishful thinking.

Side note: I've been mining for about 11 months now. I've varied anywhere from 0.03-1.5GH/s. Never found a block Cry

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4144
Merit: 1637

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2012, 02:33:40 AM

Further side note: cgminer DOES check for block solves when you are mining for bitcoin. It will say BLOCK! next to the share if it solves it, and will include block solves in the summary when you shut it down. However there is no way to magically make that block suddenly belong to your own wallet.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
Vladimir

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 02:35:44 AM

Genius! All those hundreds of pros could not figure this out in years!

-
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 04:19:19 AM

Further side note: cgminer DOES check for block solves when you are mining for bitcoin. It will say BLOCK! next to the share if it solves it, and will include block solves in the summary when you shut it down. However there is no way to magically make that block suddenly belong to your own wallet.

Really?! Wow totally did not know that.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 05:02:03 AM

And here I was waving my hand saying "This is not the pool you want to submit to".  Grin

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 08:29:49 AM

And here I was waving my hand saying "This is not the pool you want to submit to".  Grin

which one? And I believe that is a picture of you as much as I believe mine is a picture of me.

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 10:32:50 AM

which one? And I believe that is a picture of you as much as I believe mine is a picture of me.

Haha, not sure who Oat Hay is since I'm not into the meme stuff (didn't even know what meme was until learning about it here).  The "chick" used for my avatar is Maggie Q - looks a lot like my wife.  My 2 year was calling her mommy so I used her pic for my profile so I could get Freddie Prinz out of my head.  If that reference doesn't make sense you probably weren't here when 1/2 the board had the same avatar as we were all whoring for 0.05BTC for changing out avatars.

Activity: 756

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 10:38:21 AM

Haha, not sure who Oat Hay is since I'm not into the meme stuff (didn't even know what meme was until learning about it here).  The "chick" used for my avatar is Maggie Q - looks a lot like my wife.  My 2 year was calling her mommy so I used her pic for my profile so I could get Freddie Prinz out of my head.  If that reference doesn't make sense you probably weren't here when 1/2 the board had the same avatar as we were all whoring for 0.05BTC for changing out avatars.

bitcoiner on here created this meme with me about two days ago.

beautiful i bet she is.

interesting

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
Zotia

Activity: 686
Merit: 501

TokenUnion-Get Rewarded for Holding Crypto

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 12:24:12 AM

Is it possible to know if you are going to solve a block, then just not pass that information on to the pool's server (just to be a jerk)?

▄████████████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████████
███████                ██████
███████                ██████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄    ▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
███████▀▀▀▀██    ██▀▀▀▀███████
███████    ██    ██    ███████
███████    ▀██▄▄██▀    ███████
███████▄     ▀▀▀▀     ▄███████
████████▄            ▄████████
██████████▄▄      ▄▄██████████
██████████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████████▀
.TokenUnion.

Reinventing Savings via Cryptoeconomically
Incentivized Holding

████▄▄▄
   ██  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄
   ██        ▀▀▀███▄
  ██     ▄██▄     ██
  ██     ▀██▀     ██
 ██   ███▄▄▄     ██
 ██     ▀▀▀███   ██
██   ███▄▄▄     ██
██     ▀▀▀███   ██
▀███▄▄▄        ██
   ▀▀▀████▄▄▄  ██
         ▀▀▀████
WP
■  Telegram     ■  Github
            ■  Reddit     ■  Twitter
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4144
Merit: 1637

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2012, 01:40:09 AM

Is it possible to know if you are going to solve a block, then just not pass that information on to the pool's server (just to be a jerk)?
Yes, that's a withholding attack. But all you're doing is making the pool poorer. Why would you want to do that?

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
ShadesOfMarble
Donator

Activity: 543

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 03:05:12 PM

Because you are a bad person?! (why would somebody DDoS a pool?)

Review of the Spondoolies-Tech SP10 „Dawson“ Bitcoin miner (1.4 TH/s)

[22:35] <Vinnie_win> Did anyone get paid yet? | [22:36] <Isokivi> pirate did!
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 03:11:02 PM

You do realize that:

TL/DR:

End of thread.

Cannot be done as described.

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: