Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 11:21:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [WTS]VPN that skews law enforcement.[14 countries]  (Read 5673 times)
softwareseller (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 08:48:18 AM

I know a very scientific method to determine if softwareseller is a cop. Answer this question softwareseller: Do you have a mustache?
No. What's that suppose to mean?

ErnestoJuarell

Activity: 113
Merit: 10

¿Sabe lo que quiero decir?

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 10:20:32 AM

I know a very scientific method to determine if softwareseller is a cop. Answer this question softwareseller: Do you have a mustache?
Guys, he checks out. Not a cop.

ErebusBat

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 11:02:47 PM

Wait......

What about doughnuts?

░▒▓█ Coinroll.it - 1% House Edge Dice Game █▓▒░ • Coinroll Thread • *FREE* 100 BTC Raffle

Signup for CEX.io BitFury exchange and get GHS Instantly!  Don't wait for shipping, mine NOW!
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 02:54:54 AM

Wait......

What about doughnuts?

Doesn't matter. Even if he is a cop, he is a good cop looking to make some pocket money on the side.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
ErebusBat

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 03:21:08 AM

----------------
How to make VPN more secure?
1.Choose L2TP/OpenVPN rather than PPTP
2.Download software to help block traffic when VPN drops accidentally.
3.Disable IPV6
4.Change default DNS to opendns/Google public DNS with or without VPN to avoid packet leaking.

Do you support OpenVPN then?  TCP or UDP?

░▒▓█ Coinroll.it - 1% House Edge Dice Game █▓▒░ • Coinroll Thread • *FREE* 100 BTC Raffle

Signup for CEX.io BitFury exchange and get GHS Instantly!  Don't wait for shipping, mine NOW!
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3178
Merit: 4371

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 03:24:33 AM

seems legit

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
softwareseller (OP)

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 09:23:17 AM
Last edit: September 01, 2012, 11:43:13 AM by softwareseller

----------------
3.Disable IPV6
4.Change default DNS to opendns/Google public DNS with or without VPN to avoid packet leaking.

Do you support OpenVPN then?  TCP or UDP?
No. Only L2TP. If you install some software to block non-vpn traffic, L2TP is as secure as openvpn. And it's much easier to configure for customer if they're not technical savvy or don't want to jailbreak their iPhone[Why not?].

softwareseller (OP)

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 11:40:21 AM

What about doughnuts?
I will usually eat the outer surface where the sugar and chocolate are.
You guys assume cops doesn't like doughnuts?

ErebusBat

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 12:42:24 PM

----------------
3.Disable IPV6

No. Only L2TP. If you install some software to block non-vpn traffic, L2TP is as secure as openvpn. And it's much easier to configure for customer if they're not technical savvy or don't want to jailbreak their iPhone[Why not?].
Hrm....  Do you have plans to support OpenVPN?  I am familiar with it.  Also I thought L2TP was not secure without IPSec and that IPSec didn't work well in NAT scenarios.

softwareseller (OP)

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 01:57:59 PM
Last edit: September 01, 2012, 02:17:27 PM by softwareseller

----------------
3.Disable IPV6

Hrm....  Do you have plans to support OpenVPN?  I am familiar with it.  Also I thought L2TP was not secure without IPSec and that IPSec didn't work well in NAT scenarios.
With IPsec, L2tp is as strong as OpenVPN. L2TP without IPsec is of course not secure at all. But I think IPsec could work in most sceneries. And there is no way that you could connect to our server without IPsec, unless I want to skew you up and you want to skew yourself up at the same time.
If the policy has been disabled on both client and server, it is possible to create an L2TP tunnel without IPSEC
I didn't plan to support OpenVPN in the near future because L2TP is built in to most system and are much easier to configure than OpenVPN.

softwareseller (OP)

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 05:36:52 AM

The more customer we have using our VPN, the more anonymous we get and much harder for Police to cross reference our activity.

softwareseller (OP)

View Profile
September 05, 2012, 07:18:23 AM

Any more questions?

perlboy

Activity: 80

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2012, 12:43:35 AM

Any more questions?

You're offering a VPN service with an exit point in Australia. You're also offering unlimited bandwidth in your plans.

a) You claim it is anonymous however you (or your providers, do they know you're running this?) are obligated to record appropriate identification information as part of the Australian Telecommunications Act (and it's associated Interception ones). How will you address this when receiving an information requests from the Australian Federal Police?
b) Bandwidth in Australia is obscenely expensive by comparison to essentially everyone else. You're either offering this service with a poorly structure business plan or overselling your bandwidth from your exit points calling into question the viability of the platform for VPN services. Do you oversell bandwidth?

Stuart

Numis Token - Numismatic Coins attached to the Ethereum network
Biza•io - Blockchain based banking software
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2012, 01:29:00 AM

Do you oversell bandwidth?
Since he sells unlimited bandwidth and probably doesn't actually have unlimited bandwidth ...

Of course, everyone oversells bandwidth.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
perlboy

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2012, 01:36:00 AM

Do you oversell bandwidth?
Since he sells unlimited bandwidth and probably doesn't actually have unlimited bandwidth ...

Of course, everyone oversells bandwidth.

Well sort of, it is possible to sell unlimited bandwidth if you have enough capacity at a fixed rate to sustain it. In Australia you can get unlimited bandwidth but you'll be capped at a set speed. 1Mbit of bandwidth in Australia realistically costs ~200-300/month. It's unlimited but it isn't oversold (cause you can't do more than 1Mbit).

Stu

softwareseller (OP)

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 01:56:15 AM

a) You claim it is anonymous however you (or your providers, do they know you're running this?) are obligated to record appropriate identification information as part of the Australian Telecommunications Act (and it's associated Interception ones). How will you address this when receiving an information requests from the Australian Federal Police?
They will record personal info for those who contact with them directly. After that, it's free game. No info/Little info which could be easily forged is needed. If Police contacted the provider,  I simply doesn't care. Best thing they could do is to unplug the server, which could be easily fixed within days.

b) Bandwidth in Australia is obscenely expensive by comparison to essentially everyone else. You're either offering this service with a poorly structure business plan or overselling your bandwidth from your exit points calling into question the viability of the platform for VPN services. Do you oversell bandwidth?

Stuart
I didn't manually limit the bandwidth of my customer. Plus, not many people choose Australia VPN. You could choose servers in other locations e.g. U.S in case you fear the bandwidth in Australia.

hottweelz

Activity: 84

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 02:05:13 AM

Everyone involved in this thread has no idea about "Bandwidth," (LOL @ Unlimited) "Law Enforcement" (LOL @ Australian Federal Police) and OpenVPN (LOL @ limiting the unlimited bandwidth).

Go to jail?  No.

Server suspended, probably as we speak.

Slap your face for even entertaining this, I can sell you a Bridge over in Brooklyn, its pretty awesome.

...now when the Unlimtied Hard Drives debut.. get me on that list.  I have bitcoins.
perlboy

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2012, 02:20:36 AM
Last edit: September 06, 2012, 04:26:03 AM by perlboy

Everyone involved in this thread has no idea about "Bandwidth," (LOL @ Unlimited) "Law Enforcement" (LOL @ Australian Federal Police) and OpenVPN (LOL @ limiting the unlimited bandwidth).

Actually, I'd argue I have quite an idea about bandwidth and law enforcement since I've worked in the ISP industry ~15 years.

Go to jail?  No.

Actually, at least in Australia, Yes. Sure, this guys service provider is protected by the telecommunications carriage act only but only if they maintain appropriate contact information. The same applies for this guy himself. If he fails to collect information about all who have access via his infrastructure probably the only thing stopping him from getting arrested is that he isn't IN Australia.

While being arrested may seem unlikely, the cooperation of a VPN operating business which doesn't collect user information (once again at least within australia) that is utilised for things such as organised crime would be subject to much more stringent laws and fewer legal representation options, notably, the Australian Crime Commission which holds the power to interrogate anyone without a lawyer and imprison them for extended lengths with minimal public oversight. Taking this one step further, the use of the services for terrorism related communication would then involve the Attorney General, ASIO and probably ASIS. This involvement can and does happen on a regular basis including compelling companies to collect all exit data, install wiretapping capabilities for a specific user among other things. All this guy is doing is making sure he's the fall guy for his customers, if he thinks that he'll just ignore Australian authorities he's failed to acknowledge the bilateral intelligence sharing agreements Australia, the UK and the U.S.A have in place.

I didn't manually limit the bandwidth of my customer. Plus, not many people choose Australia VPN. You could choose servers in other locations e.g. U.S in case you fear the bandwidth in Australia.

So your business model is based on your service not being popular in certain locations... Great...

Stu

P.S. Strictly a personal opinion only.

bit-joker

Activity: 193

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 03:03:26 AM

What kind of software do you recommend to stop traffic when the VPN drops the connection?
softwareseller (OP)

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 03:16:49 AM

What kind of software do you recommend to stop traffic when the VPN drops the connection?
For windows, http://wiki.hidemyass.com/Tutorials:How_to_use_Windows_Firewall_for_blocking_non-VPN_traffic_-_IP_binding in step 9, choose all program
For Mac, IPFW

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: