Bitcoin Forum
May 18, 2024, 06:50:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: PAPERBACK - Encyclopedia of Physical Bitcoins and Crypto-Currencies  (Read 27190 times)
elianite (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1378
Merit: 1137

The Cryptonumist

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2015, 02:05:13 AM

EXCITING NEWS!

I'de like to formally introduce Matthew Rippon , known as m_rippon on these forums

He is a Department Member of the Queens University of London, and is co-authoring this book.

Mr. Rippon has gained a great interest in the physical crypto coin phenomenon, and contacted me to conduct an interview for an article he was writing for the International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Innovation. I have since had many discussions with him about the subject, to the point that he accepted my invitation to co-author the book which is an extension of my first work; The Casascius Guide.

As an up and coming academic, he has been conducting a thorough analysis of everything involving physical crypto coins, and will no doubt be asking many questions. With Matthew's, the book is being transformed from a simple catalogue to an intriguing work analysing the ideas, values, culture, and community behind the physical crypto coin phenomena and forming various theories about it. This will make it the first academic work analysing this area; with virtually all research publications about Bitcoin being technical.

We will be posting regular updates about progress and some sneak peeks at the ideas we are exploring.

Mr. Rippon has a PhD in Geography, a Masters of Science degree in Globalization & Development, a Master of Art degree in Asian Studies, and a Bachelors degree in International History. I'm sure everyone will find Matthew both an excellent researcher and writer.

As mentioned before, up to 100 copies will be produced and shipped to those making a pre-order here! If you'd like a copy, just message me.

New book: BLOCKLAND: 21 Stories of Bitcoin, Blockchain, and Cryptocurrency www.cryptonumist.com/blockland
Author of Encyclopedia of Physical Bitcoins and Crypto-Currencies. View a free sample and Buy the book at https://cryptonumist.com
To prevent hacks, DO NOT send me BTC above $300 value before first emailing coins@cryptonumist.com to confirm. Beware of scammers on Telegram/Instagram etc.
monkeynuts
Legendary

Activity: 1251
Merit: 1259

MONKEYNUTS

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 08:04:41 AM

Just one question ... with what sounds like changing scope

What is the timeline going to be for release ?

Changing scope combined with an ever changing landscape of new coin releases .... at some point the scope has to get frozen. Plus from a stated point in time, any new coins just get put in version 2. Just so that version one can get completed (and in my hands !!)

http://qmul.academia.edu/MatthewRippon
Showing that he is serious about researching this area

Hopefully the joining of forces of 2 similar threads pushes this over the line

Elainite - My offer still stands for any proof reading, pictures of coins, details on the gradings recieved for coins etc etc. Just shout.

m_rippon

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 12:30:55 PM

The book will comprise of three sections: an Introduction (which I will write), the Catalogue (written by Elias), and a Conclusion (written by me).

The bulk of the book will be the Catalogue. It will be replete with descriptions of the coins, photographs, details about the producer, and intriguing anecdotes. The Introduction provides a context to the catalogue while the Conclusion will explore some of the common themes inherent in the production of physical bitcoin.

It is, indeed, generous of Elias to refer to me as a "co-author" although I suspect I will provide 15% of the content at most.

I consider my audience to be the "intelligent layperson". I do not write in a jargon-laden and obscure style. My intention is to be scholarly and rigorous yet accessible and engaging.

I've been interested in Bitcoin since mid-2012. I attended the London Bitcoin https://sites.google.com/a/bitcoin2012.com/homepage/speakers conference in September of that year. In terms of physical bitcoin, in the last two months, I have spoken with Denarium, HardBTC, Lealana, Microsoul, TGBEX and, of course, Elias. My goal is to speak with all the main producers.

I've also read Jonathan Frammingham's fascinating Coin Making Guide: From Sketch to Strike https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1089977

I have researched into the major players in the industry, the aspects of a coin which make it valuable (precious metal content, serial number, number in batch, rarity, and grade rating) and the regulatory environment (e.g. FinCEN, MSB, money transmitters). In doing so, I've learned about a number of essential industries such as the graders (e.g. ANACS), mints, and hologram manufacturers.

Currently, I own two coins. A Denarium 0.1 BTC (2015) and a Microsoul Silver 0.01 BTC (2014) which arrived today (thanks Matthew!) Smoothie has kindly sent me two brass coins which I look forward to receiving.

Just one question ... with what sounds like changing scope

Changing scope combined with an ever changing landscape of new coin releases .... at some point the scope has to get frozen. Plus from a stated point in time, any new coins just get put in version 2. Just so that version one can get completed (and in my hands !!)

I agree that we have to 'freeze' the research at a designated date. Elias and I have spoken about this. We have no plans to obsess over whether we have included every coin from every producer. Our view is that this is an ever-changing industry. There can, as you note, always be a second edition. The key, of course, is to publish the first edition! This will happen - soon!
BitcoinPenny
aka CJBianco
Legendary

Activity: 2662
Merit: 2203

BitcoinPenny.com

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2015, 05:35:15 PM

Elainite - My offer still stands for any proof reading, pictures of coins, details on the gradings recieved for coins...

Are details on the gradings received going to be included in the book? I'm curious, since I just received a few 2015 Bitcoin Penny™ error coins from ANACS that graded at MS67.

Regards,
Christopher

BitcoinPenny.com | "When it comes to bitcoin swag, we make perfect CENTS!"
elianite (OP)
Legendary

The Cryptonumist

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2015, 01:17:19 AM

Elainite - My offer still stands for any proof reading, pictures of coins, details on the gradings recieved for coins...

Are details on the gradings received going to be included in the book? I'm curious, since I just received a few 2015 Bitcoin Penny™ error coins from ANACS that graded at MS67.

Regards,
Christopher

Alot of coins haven't been graded at all, and others only once or twice so it is a stretch to give the 'highest grade' the same respect as for a casascius coin. With that said, I will certainly look to include that info whenever possible.

New book: BLOCKLAND: 21 Stories of Bitcoin, Blockchain, and Cryptocurrency www.cryptonumist.com/blockland
Author of Encyclopedia of Physical Bitcoins and Crypto-Currencies. View a free sample and Buy the book at https://cryptonumist.com
To prevent hacks, DO NOT send me BTC above $300 value before first emailing coins@cryptonumist.com to confirm. Beware of scammers on Telegram/Instagram etc.
elianite (OP)
Legendary

The Cryptonumist

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2015, 01:25:00 AM
Last edit: July 29, 2015, 01:55:15 AM by elianite

The book will be completed, printed, and sent out in 2015. Full stop.

However, it is important for everyone to realize that writing a 200 page book is no easy task, especially when it is not something that full-time can be devoted to, and especially when it is of an academic nature. We will absolutely focus on Quality over speed. Producing good, quality work is not something that can be done as a summer side-project. We will not be sending out an error-ridden and incomplete work in any circumstance.

That said, the aim is to have 90% of text written by mid September, with some time to sort out photos, formatting, editing, and citations. Objective is to have the final copy sent out for printing by the end of October.

An issue that needs addressing is photos. What photos can be used, and what if the owners of photos aren't responsive or cooperative? I obviously I don't want to get sued for using the wrong photos, though I want to provide the best available photos of every coin. with so many coins, defunct mints, and many available photos, its quite the logistical exercise.

I very much appreciate everyone's offers to help in editing and providing photos. These offers have not gone unheard. Right now, the actual writing is the priority and will remain so for another month or two at least. Once the time comes, I can use all the assistance offered.

Hellot

Activity: 679
Merit: 526

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 01:26:56 AM

Are you focusing on mass production or are you planning to touch on one-offs and prototypes for the various producers?  More in depth history of their products.
elianite (OP)
Legendary

The Cryptonumist

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2015, 01:41:53 AM

Are you focusing on mass production or are you planning to touch on one-offs and prototypes for the various producers?  More in depth history of their products.

Originally, my plan was to designate 1 page for EVERY coin ever made. Thats not really practical, and would cause most pages to be quite empty due to little info available. Take Antana Coins http://antanacoins.com/ ; would you want one full color page for each of them? Very innovative coins, but I simply don't have 10+ pages of material to write about them. Such a 'database' would be more appropriate in a web format; which is in the plans for my website www.coinfirm.org sometime in the future.

That said, I'll make every attempt to talk about every notable manufacturer & mass-produced coins. Small batches will certainly get attention as well. As for individual prototypes; it would be a case-by-case. point is; if it is interesting and relevant to the big picture, I believe it belongs in the book. 

Each page of the catalogue section will likely have 1 or 2 coin 'profiles' (depending on how much I have to say) including photos, info about mintage, material, denomination, etc. and also a text portion which will include analysis or info about the things such as the art, its manufacturing process, any interesting anecdotes or observations relating to that coin in any way including history. It may also compare features to other coins and point out what other coins it seems to be inspired by from a design aspect. This isn't an exhaustive list, there's lots of things that could be written.

I'll also have individual pages for 'crypto mints'; established manufacturers who have created several coins. I will discuss the history, ideas, and inspiration of the manufacturer and compare them to others. I may include interesting facts, personality, the 'why', and other observations and thoughts.

m_rippon

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 01:33:56 PM

An issue that needs addressing is photos. What photos can be used, and what if the owners of photos aren't responsive or cooperative? I obviously I don't want to get sued for using the wrong photos, though I want to provide the best available photos of every coin. with so many coins, defunct mints, and many available photos, its quite the logistical exercise.

Obviously, every photo that Elias and I did not take will be acknowledged with the person's real name or forum name (as they desire).

For example:

Alan Archer (p.24, p.56), Bob Black (p.12, p.121 top, p.122 left), "charlie999" (p.78, p.99 left, p.187, p.199)... and so on.

And then:

We were unable to contact the owners of the following photographs. If you own the copyright, please contact us and we will update the acknowledgements in the next edition.

p.32, p.66 left and right, p.100 top...and so on.
TookDk
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1062

One coin to rule them all

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2015, 01:38:12 PM

I'd like to formally introduce Matthew Rippon , known as m_rippon on these forum.

Welcome on board Matthew.
Let me know if you need any pictures of the Crypto Imperator coins, I have a solid collection.
I can pretty much make the pictures they way you guys like.

Cryptography is one of the few things you can truly trust.
Blazed
Casascius Addict
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1119

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2015, 01:57:45 PM

Excited to get this book some time soon I hope. I can get you guys pictures of a variety of coins... just ask!
Pistachio
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 02:11:34 PM

The crowd funding period is over, where is this going to be for sale? Is there still going to be a physical copy available? If so, what's the price?
elianite (OP)
Legendary

The Cryptonumist

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2015, 04:29:32 PM

The crowd funding period is over, where is this going to be for sale? Is there still going to be a physical copy available? If so, what's the price?

Physical copies will be produced; up to 100 (likely much less). You can pre-order by sending me a PM and I will provide payment info. these books will likely not be for sale after printing, but it is possible an ebook will be availible on amazon, etc at some time much later. A book costs 70 £ which includes shipping to NA & EU.

m_rippon

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 05:08:51 PM

Originally, my plan was to designate 1 page for EVERY coin ever made. Thats not really practical, and would cause most pages to be quite empty due to little info available. Take Antana Coins http://antanacoins.com/ ; would you want one full color page for each of them? Very innovative coins, but I simply don't have 10+ pages of material to write about them. Such a 'database' would be more appropriate in a web format; which is in the plans for my website www.coinfirm.org sometime in the future.

One of the issues is that producers just disappear. For example, what happened to Antaui and Jinn Bitcoin? In both cases, the domains no longer work.

See https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=397258.0

monkeynuts
Legendary

Activity: 1251
Merit: 1259

MONKEYNUTS

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 10:07:54 PM

I have sent you a PM, that may give you a few leads for Jinn and Antaui.

You may have already tried them, but they are worth a shot
adamas
Legendary

Activity: 1014
Merit: 1003

VIS ET LIBERTAS

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2015, 10:26:24 AM

Hi. A few months ago, you asked me to send you a physical coin for your new book. Could you please send me a copy (pdf,jpg) of the page that illustrates the coin? Thanks.

"Es ist kein Zeichen geistiger Gesundheit, gut angepasst an eine kranke Gesellschaft zu sein."
Possum577

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2015, 06:14:56 PM

Elianite and m_ribbon, will you share any screenshots of he book once it comes together? Will this be hardback or softback? What are the dimensions of the book? I'm glad to see the list of reserved spots is growing...I might be a buyer soon (need to save up some 'coin!)

Good luck and congrats!

xmaxbit

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 01, 2015, 07:27:18 PM

All I can see here is a group of people with green trust scores. Do you have any offer for the one who wishes to buy more than one ?
Possum577

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2015, 10:52:20 PM

All I can see here is a group of people with green trust scores. Do you have any offer for the one who wishes to buy more than one ?

The answer to your question is quoted below, it's the second post in this topic...

A 10% discount will be applied if you order more then one book due to shipping savings.

elianite (OP)
Legendary

The Cryptonumist

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2015, 11:02:51 PM

The answer to your question is quoted below, it's the second post in this topic...

A 10% discount will be applied if you order more then one book due to shipping savings.

Thanks Possum Smiley

And if you want to order a bunch; PM me and we can work something out.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: