Bitcoin Forum
July 01, 2024, 10:22:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Avalon Nano - Stick Mining Fun!  (Read 20700 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
notlist3d (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 17, 2015, 02:26:09 AM

Got two of these for $20 each on ebay today (shipped) to play with

I think you will have fun with them.  It had been a long time since I had played with one.  It honestly has been like a throw back.  And it's amazing that the 1 stick does over 10 of what the old block erupters do.
lucasjkr

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 17, 2015, 02:43:57 AM

0.08 btc for 1-3 gh/s...

Cheap, but will this thing even mine $16 worth of bitcoins, ever?
notlist3d (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 17, 2015, 03:34:04 AM

0.08 btc for 1-3 gh/s...

Cheap, but will this thing even mine $16 worth of bitcoins, ever?

It's a hard area on stick miners.  There is just a lot of parts per chip.  It's not near as efficient as making a entire board.

Here is how I put it in my conclusion " With this miner chances are it will not be your pick for your next ROI miner.  But I would say is more in the market for someone who want's to learn how about bitcoin mining and doing it for knowledge or experience of mining with spending a smaller amount. "
Ecnad

Activity: 311
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 20, 2015, 05:27:42 PM

Not having much luck with these. My ini file looks quite different from yours and AvalonMiner is not finding the devices
notlist3d (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 20, 2015, 05:31:11 PM

Not having much luck with these. My ini file looks quite different from yours and AvalonMiner is not finding the devices

Did you download the file I mentioned? It is like a all in one pack.

With the .ini you get it in the folder with Chinese lettering and then put it in the avalon folder, and make sure to change comport to right number.  In this pack there is a video that shows step by step but it's in Chinese, but it still gives you a good idea of how to do it all.
Ecnad

View Profile
April 20, 2015, 05:51:13 PM

I did download the folder, but it appears it has been changed. No chinese folder in it.

It's in the main folder now. Think it's working right now, but I see no way to use more than one at a time so might have to sell the second one I have.
notlist3d (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 20, 2015, 07:45:25 PM

I did download the folder, but it appears it has been changed. No chinese folder in it.

It's in the main folder now. Think it's working right now, but I see no way to use more than one at a time so might have to sell the second one I have.

You would have to edit the .ini to multiple com ports.  It's been a long time since I have done this (block erupter days).  But you need to select in the .ini and then BFGMiner will see them and the gui will work.
Mikestang
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile
April 20, 2015, 09:13:28 PM

These look fun, and almost twice the speed of the sticks I'm currently playing with.
notlist3d (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 21, 2015, 12:28:25 AM

These look fun, and almost twice the speed of the sticks I'm currently playing with.

It is a fun item to play with.  It's like a throwback when I play with it reminds me of the block erupter days.

I need to get another raspberry pi to run it for fun.  But it's on the list of project's i haven't made it to so far Smiley
TheRealSteve

Activity: 686

FUN > ROI

View Profile
April 21, 2015, 12:49:39 AM

It is a fun item to play with.  It's like a throwback when I play with it reminds me of the block erupter days.
You say that like those days are over - au contraire, they're still here!  Check out my contests Wink /shamelessplug

The Avalon Nano is obviously a much nicer miner - it's built a lot better, a lot more capable, has built-in overheating protection (throttles down the hash rate), and it's actively being supported by Avalon people as well as a pretty tight community over on IRC.  Unfortunately Avalon's next chip is apparently not well suited to a StickMiner.  But until GekkoScience's StickMiner is available, these are pretty good Smiley

notlist3d (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 21, 2015, 12:52:26 AM

You say that like those days are over - au contraire, they're still here!  Check out my contests Wink /shamelessplug

The Avalon Nano is obviously a much nicer miner - it's built a lot better, a lot more capable, has built-in overheating protection (throttles down the hash rate), and it's actively being supported by Avalon people as well as a pretty tight community over on IRC.  Unfortunately Avalon's next chip is apparently not well suited to a StickMiner.  But until GekkoScience's StickMiner is available, these are pretty good Smiley

I don't mind a shameless plug when it's well earned.  Here is to help with yours check out his thread here if you enjoy stick miners - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=464496.0

It is really fun looking through the history of stick miners, and different designs.   If you have not went to his thread I suggest you do.
notlist3d (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 03:30:56 PM

Bump for  bobz troubleshooting.  This shows getting one to run with GUI.
notlist3d (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 06:50:56 PM

I have seen these on Aliexpress, they seem like a cheap way to explain and show someone or teach someone how to mine.

That is exactly how I describe them: "With this miner chances are it will not be your pick for your next ROI miner.  But I would say is more in the market for someone who want's to learn how about bitcoin mining and doing it for knowledge or experience of mining with spending a smaller amount."

For those learning it is a great little stick miner.
TheRealSteve

Activity: 686

FUN > ROI

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 09:49:10 PM

That's why I still have my block erupters in a box somewhere, that and they look awesome still.
Pull one out Smiley
Block Erupter USB Three Days of Mining lottery - 0.1 BTC prize

For those learning it is a great little stick miner.
The fact that they're still available new combined with the built-in thermal throttling does make them quite learning-friendly, even if they're not quite as tweakable.

Ecnad

View Profile
April 26, 2015, 06:51:10 PM

Okay, I was able to use more than one at a time using the bfgminer included in the Avalon download, without their GUI using these settings:

Code:
bfgminer.exe -S ICA:\\.\COM8 -S ICA:\\.\COM15 -o SERVER:PORT -u USER -p PASS  --set-device ICA:baud=115200 --set-device ICA:reopen=timeout --set-device ICA:work_division=1 --set-device ICA:fpga_count=1 --set-device ICA:probe_timeout=100 --set-device ICA:timing=0.22 --api-listen 2>log

Change the COM numbers to the ports your sticks are on.

Got two running at 4.5GHs each
bakdoor

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2015, 08:39:16 PM

Okay, I was able to use more than one at a time using the bfgminer included in the Avalon download, without their GUI using these settings:

Code:
bfgminer.exe -S ICA:\\.\COM8 -S ICA:\\.\COM15 -o SERVER:PORT -u USER -p PASS  --set-device ICA:baud=115200 --set-device ICA:reopen=timeout --set-device ICA:work_division=1 --set-device ICA:fpga_count=1 --set-device ICA:probe_timeout=100 --set-device ICA:timing=0.22 --api-listen 2>log

Thanks for posting this. MANY folks solve a problem and then don't post the 'how'.
Have 2 coming my way. This will be really helpful as i still don't know what I'm doing! Smiley
Ecnad

View Profile
April 26, 2015, 09:23:58 PM

You are most welcome!

Should be fairly easy with the help offered in this thread:

Install driver package
Download Avalon Mining Package
Create a BAT file in the BFGminer folder with the code I supplied.

Hoping to find a deal on a couple more to see how they stack in larger numbers.

9.55GH/s average for the pair after 2 hours
bakdoor

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2015, 09:38:40 PM

Haven't had to create a batch file since the TRS 80 days! (yea, I'm OLD!)
notlist3d (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 05:40:21 AM

Code:
bfgminer.exe -S ICA:\\.\COM8 -S ICA:\\.\COM15 -o SERVER:PORT -u USER -p PASS  --set-device ICA:baud=115200 --set-device ICA:reopen=timeout --set-device ICA:work_division=1 --set-device ICA:fpga_count=1 --set-device ICA:probe_timeout=100 --set-device ICA:timing=0.22 --api-listen 2>log

Thanks Ecnad for adding this to thread! I will link to it in questions and answers.
Ecnad

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 06:01:01 AM

Thanks! You may want to note that it ONLY worked with the BFGminer included in the Avalon package. The core BFG did not recognize them at all.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: