Bitcoin Forum
July 16, 2024, 04:59:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ASIC Scrypt mining  (Read 809 times)
mrkubanftw (OP)

Activity: 382
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2015, 06:44:20 PM

Hey guys,

Its been a long time since i set foot in here. Bailed on GPU mining a Looooong time ago. Well i'm looking into asic for mining scrypt. Thing is, I've looked at several units and none of them seem to be even profitable at current difficulties...

Am I correct in seeing this or am i miss-placing a decimal in the coversion?

Next question if the above question is true... Why the hell are people even still mining if its not even profitable?

I'm Stumped.
dsattler
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 14, 2015, 06:41:17 AM

No, you're right. Most miners (like me) seem to hold tight to their investment, hoping that the BTC price will rise again. I cannot recommend investing in mining ATM, buy some coins and wait for a rise instead.

Just my two cents.  Wink

Bitcointalk member since 2013! Smiley
mrkubanftw (OP)

Activity: 382
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2015, 02:38:19 PM

I suppose i use to have that mentality. Back in the day even if i took a loss on the energy it was all worth it in the interest of stockpiling coins.
emdje

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2015, 05:03:03 PM

Yeah not really profitable, only if you have cheap or free electricity.
If you do want to buy a scrypt Asic I would either buy an A2 miner (very sturdy miner, pretty easy to over/underclock, and firmware updates by me  Grin ), or Alcheminer (the word is they are a reliable company and only sell what they have in stock). Both miners are about as energy effecient.
Prelude
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 14, 2015, 06:54:31 PM

Yeah not really profitable, only if you have cheap or free electricity.
If you do want to buy a scrypt Asic I would either buy an A2 miner (very sturdy miner, pretty easy to over/underclock, and firmware updates by me  Grin ), or Alcheminer (the word is they are a reliable company and only sell what they have in stock). Both miners are about as energy effecient.

I can vouch for the A2 as well, I've had a 60MH and a 90MH unit since ~end of April 2014 and they just work. Very good hardware! I just ordered an Alchemist 256 since it's on sale. Figured why not? I have cheap power. Tom from Alchemist went out of his way to help me, great guy and great service. I'll have the miner Thursday, looking forward to getting it.

Emdje, Tom may be interested in providing you with a very discounted (maybe even free?) unit if you provide software support for his machines. They have no plans on updating the miners anymore, and from what I can see they could use some loving. PM me if you want his email to drop him a line.
hdmediaservices

Activity: 630
Merit: 504

View Profile
April 15, 2015, 05:18:41 PM

I own (20) A2 Terminators (88Mhs) and (6) A2 Minis (30Mh/s) -- I have not had many issues at all - except for a reboot required once in a while.  They work very well when there's good ventilation.  Some use a little more power than others for some reason -- possibly 1st and 2nd generations -- or maybe the PSUs aren't as efficient.  I bought all of mine used -- between $800 and $1800 over the last year.  Now I'm seeing them hover around $1000.

When you mine - don't go with a pool that automatically converts the coins into BTC.  And definitely don't stick it on auto-pilot and choose a multi-pool (unless you don't have the time).  You won't profit well.  Just pick coins that have potential -- mine it and sell it when the opportunity strikes.  In other words -- watch the markets and the forum on the coin you mine.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: