Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:15:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do not bet with Matthew N. Wright without an escrow on both sides  (Read 2780 times)
dust (OP)

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2012, 11:16:34 PM
Last edit: August 22, 2012, 03:06:59 AM by dust

I placed a bet with Matthew on Sunday.  My 100BTC on pirate defaulting against his 250BTC, everything else same terms as his thread.  After his thread exploded in popularity, I decided to demand an escrow.  He did not want to escrow, which I have begrudgingly agreed to because it was not in the original terms of the bet.

However, I urge all future bettors to not bet without both sides in escrow.

Anyone might be a scammer if there is enough money involved.  

Here is a quote from Matthew quoting some of my PMs.
I'm going to have to call you out on this If you do not escrow.  What if you are just trying to teach everyone a lesson that they too, can be scammed.

You continue to post and yet have not responded.

Do you agree to escrow?

If you do not, I will assume you are scamming and go public on the forums.

I will make this exact bet with some pirate supporter with escrow to prove I am not dodging the bet.

This guy now wants to change his bet after the fact by adding escrow. I have escrowed privately with many people who I thought it was necessary, and many people have escrowed through third parties (I presume), but to demand it "or else I'm going public" -after- making a bet where escrow was not offered, is a bit tacky, and you not wanting to follow the OP when you place your bet will not change the legitimacy of your bet.

Thank you.

Cryptocoin Mining Info | OTC | PGP | Twitter | freenode: dust-otc | BTC: 1F6fV4U2xnpAuKtmQD6BWpK3EuRosKzF8U

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2012, 11:20:32 PM

He offered a deal to you, and you accepted.  You may not trust him but you have put nothing up and he also has to trust you.  If you do not like those terms do not bet.

I personally think what he is offering is a little foolish but it shows he has much more testicular fortitude then I do and he believes in what he is doing. 

muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 11:22:40 PM

Why would he want to change the conditions in your favour after the fact? Makes no sense.

You should have insisted before the fact, he has dealt through escrow with other bettors.

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
dust (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2012, 11:25:52 PM

Why would he want to change the conditions in your favour after the fact? Makes no sense.

You should have insisted before the fact, he has dealt through escrow with other bettors.
Which is why I'm standing by my bet.  I just wanted to make everyone aware that they should use an escrow.

Cryptocoin Mining Info | OTC | PGP | Twitter | freenode: dust-otc | BTC: 1F6fV4U2xnpAuKtmQD6BWpK3EuRosKzF8U
dust (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2012, 11:26:50 PM

I offered to amend the terms of the bet.
Matthew, I will reduce your liability from 250BTC to 240BTC if we amend the terms of the bet to include an escrow on both sides.

Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2012, 11:28:28 PM

Which is why I'm standing by my bet.  I just wanted to make everyone aware that they should use an escrow.

Honestly I think you made a good bet.  And should you win I expect you will be paid.  Should you lose, have those coins ready. 

BTCurious

Activity: 714
Merit: 504

^SEM img of Si wafer edge, scanned 2012-3-12.

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 12:54:53 AM

I will bet you 100 Bitcoins that Matthew will fulfill his end of the deal within 3 weeks after a conclusion.

This means that if Matthew wins (pirate pays out) Matthew is done and I get 100 Bitcoins from you.
If it is decided that Matthew loses and has to pay you Ƀ250, and he /doesn't/ do so within 3 weeks, I will give you 100 Bitcoins. (The 3 weeks start after it's been decided that Matthew loses. Suggestions on how this should be decided?)

We can use a two-sided escrow on this bet if you want to. I've got a decent rating though.

donatello

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 01:17:56 AM

I will bet you 100 Bitcoins that Matthew will fulfill his end of the deal within 3 weeks after a conclusion.

This means that if Matthew wins (pirate pays out) Matthew is done and I get 100 Bitcoins from you.
If it is decided that Matthew loses and has to pay you Ƀ250, and he /doesn't/ do so within 3 weeks, I will give you 100 Bitcoins. (The 3 weeks start after it's been decided that Matthew loses. Suggestions on how this should be decided?)

We can use a two-sided escrow on this bet if you want to. I've got a decent rating though.
If this gets booked and not escrowed, I'll take action on BTCurious paying out.
drakahn

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 01:32:55 AM

lol, MNW IS A PONZI!

Apart from that, i bet with him without an escrow, fuck da police

14ga8dJ6NGpiwQkNTXg7KzwozasfaXNfEU
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 02:34:48 AM

lol, MNW IS A PONZI!

Apart from that, i bet with him without an escrow, fuck da police

lol epic

dust (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2012, 03:06:29 AM

I would like to clarify that I am 95% confident that Matthew will pay me if I win.  I am not looking to bet that he won't.

I have removed the capitalized words from the title to make this seem less alarmist.

Luceo

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

Per aspera ad astra!

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 05:59:00 AM

He runs a business which is worth several hundred thousand dollars, and only target market resides here on the forums. I don't think he's going to accept a scammer label over a few thousand BTC.

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 06:02:59 AM

He runs a business which is worth several hundred thousand dollars, and only target market resides here on the forums. I don't think he's going to accept a scammer label over a few thousand BTC.

Wisdom.

dust (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2012, 06:06:06 AM

Wisdom.
What is the basis of this valuation?  I'm not trolling, just genuinely curious.

sadpandatech

Activity: 504

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 06:08:25 AM

Wisdom.

Don't mind Luceo, he's delirious. MNW lives in his parents basement in Korea.

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 06:10:10 AM

Wisdom.

Are you an investor? If not, I'm not legally allowed to discuss that with you. You'll have to sign and return a Statement for Certified High Net Worth Individual to legal, then Vladimir will ask you if you're serious about investing and if you say "no I just wanted to know more information about your private company", he'll probably ignore you from then on. Good luck!

mp420

Activity: 501

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 07:35:08 AM

As I see it, there can be complications in this bet. For example, if Pirate buys back a major part of this debt at, say, less than 10% of face value and then actually pays back the few true believers, I still consider him having defaulted, and having been a scammer. I don't think this is likely though. But this might affect the outcome of the bet. In that case I am left with the choice: Either lose my money or lose my reputation. I think this is a fair outcome.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 07:37:10 AM

As I see it, there can be complications in this bet. For example, if Pirate buys back a major part of this debt at, say, less than 10% of face value and then actually pays back the few true believers, I still consider him having defaulted, and having been a scammer. I don't think this is likely though. But this might affect the outcome of the bet. In that case I am left with the choice: Either lose my money or lose my reputation. I think this is a fair outcome.

If there is no proof he bought back his debt then it is not relative to the bet. Fraud is something you have to prove, and we will not be speculating on the could's and would's with this bet. Only the sureties. He will pay back everything he owes on the terms the investors agreed on within 3 weeks or I lose. End of story.

Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2012, 07:38:47 AM

Wisdom.

Are you an investor? If not, I'm not legally allowed to discuss that with you. You'll have to sign and return a Statement for Certified High Net Worth Individual to legal, then Vladimir will ask you if you're serious about investing and if you say "no I just wanted to know more information about your private company", he'll probably ignore you from then on. Good luck!

Its pretty retarded that investing in companies is limited to high net worth individuals but that says a lot about the kind of society we live in.

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 07:39:52 AM

Wisdom.

Its pretty retarded that investing in companies is limited to high net worth individuals but that says a lot about the kind of society we live in.

It's the single most stupid law ever. JOBS act ruined the internet.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: