Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:37:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2012-8-22 techweekeurope.co.uk MasterCard Denies Plans For BitCoin Credit Card  (Read 2326 times)
cbeast (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 01:32:29 PM

http://www.techweekeurope.co.uk/news/no-bitcoin-credit-card-planned-90058
“MasterCard has no relationship with BitInstant. There are issuers who allow the conversion of Bitcoins to US dollars and other currencies, delivered on prepaid cards. However, we’re not aware of this particular programme from BitInstant.”

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
matonis

Activity: 303
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2012, 01:41:06 PM

This still needs to be sorted out because Mastercard wouldn't necessarily have knowledge of partner bank's affiliate negotiations.

Founding Director, Bitcoin Foundation
I also cover the bitcoin economy for Forbes, American Banker, PaymentsSource, and CoinDesk.
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2012, 01:41:28 PM

This is interesting. However, I assumed BitInstant doesn't have anything to do with Mastercard directly, anyway. The bank that they are working with are doing that. Also the article didn't say Mastercard has anything against this, just that they don't know anything about it yet.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2012, 01:45:02 PM

This is interesting. However, I assumed BitInstant doesn't have anything to do with Mastercard directly, anyway. The bank that they are working with are doing that. Also the article didn't say Mastercard has anything against this, just that they don't know anything about it yet.

+1

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
cbeast (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 01:48:33 PM

Yeah, in the original irc chat, Charlie said he would deny this announcement and I have seen no formal press release yet. It's probably just a matter of paper shuffling at this point. MasterCard has not denied any future dealings with Bitcoin, so I'm not worried about it.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
mem

Activity: 644
Merit: 501

Herp Derp PTY LTD

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 01:57:32 PM

Im often overly optimistic but reading between the lines it sounds like mastercard is familiar with and open to discussions on bitcoin.

Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 02:07:06 PM

Im often overly optimistic but reading between the lines it sounds like mastercard is familiar with and open to discussions on bitcoin.
+1, the worrying thing is the FUD potential of this though.

Hmmm... the media is weird sometimes, though. If this spreads like FUD, and then it turns out we all do get a Bitinstant Mastercard, it would be very positive in the end.
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2012, 02:16:08 PM

Hmmm... the media is weird sometimes, though. If this spreads like FUD, and then it turns out we all do get a Bitinstant Mastercard, it would be very positive in the end.

+1

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
matonis

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2012, 02:23:50 PM

Unfortunately, after Slashdot, it spread to the Verge http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/22/3260059/mastercard-denies-bitcoin-debit-card-rumors

I also cover the bitcoin economy for Forbes, American Banker, PaymentsSource, and CoinDesk.
dissipate

Activity: 288

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 09:03:08 PM

This still needs to be sorted out because Mastercard wouldn't necessarily have knowledge of partner bank's affiliate negotiations.

That is probably true, but the problem is that now that they know about it, they could revoke that bank's authorization to issue debit cards. The fact that MasterCard is coming out and saying they don't have knowledge of this does not bode well for the product launch.
matonis

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2012, 09:24:08 AM

That is probably true, but the problem is that now that they know about it, they could revoke that bank's authorization to issue debit cards. The fact that MasterCard is coming out and saying they don't have knowledge of this does not bode well for the product launch.

That was my initial thought too, because something that was relatively innocuous is now on CNN, etc. However, in reality, the affiliate card programs generate transaction/fee volume for MC; they don't care if it's a Planned Parenthood card or an ACLU card or an NRA card. I doubt that this has put bitcoin on any 'special radar' (it's no different than selling bitcoin on your own and putting the value on your Wal*Mart debit card.)

I believe that the BitInstant card will receive approval. The thought that Mastercard is intimidated by bitcoin is funny, because they could co-opt BTC momentum at any time by just adding it to the list of 158 other currencies that they authorize and clear in. Bitcoin is another currency to Mastercard and the chargeback and consumer protections provided by that network are value-adds for certain transactions.

Gareth Nelson

Activity: 721
Merit: 503

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 02:36:06 PM

I've refrained from commenting in public on this so far, but here's my own personal view on the matter:

We are making arrangements with a third party, that third party will be submitting the details to mastercard but have not done so yet - hence why mastercard are claiming to have no knowledge.

So far, we're fully in compliance with all the requirements of the third party, we've been talking to them for a long time now to get everything together.

Therefore, there's no reason why mastercard would want to decline the formal submission as doing so would damage their relationship with the issuer we are working with - and we are not their only client.

In short, it'd be suicidal for mastercard to cut off the issuer we're working with just as a spite against bitcoin, especially considering that our planned service brings no increased risk to them.
Piper67
Legendary

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 02:40:40 PM

I've refrained from commenting in public on this so far, but here's my own personal view on the matter:

We are making arrangements with a third party, that third party will be submitting the details to mastercard but have not done so yet - hence why mastercard are claiming to have no knowledge.

So far, we're fully in compliance with all the requirements of the third party, we've been talking to them for a long time now to get everything together.

Therefore, there's no reason why mastercard would want to decline the formal submission as doing so would damage their relationship with the issuer we are working with - and we are not their only client.

In short, it'd be suicidal for mastercard to cut off the issuer we're working with just as a spite against bitcoin, especially considering that our planned service brings no increased risk to them.

But, to a degree, it becomes a power struggle between the two. We don't know who you're talking to, but we do know how big MC is. If your issuer is bigger than MC, then you're correct, if it's the other way around, then MC could put pressure on your issuer to drop you.

Either way, though, I'm sure you'll have thought of contingencies... like, if what we're looking at is a debit card, then the credit card companies need not be involved at all, right? You could just partner up with a bank and have them issue debit cards, as long as they are members of Cirrus, Plus, Interac and the other networks, those cards could be used all over the world.
cbeast (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 02:42:38 PM

meh, in a few years Master Card will be coming out with a Bitcoin card of their own.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1063

Gerald Davis

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 03:09:01 PM

meh, in a few years Master Card will be coming out with a Bitcoin card of their own.

Well probably not, but that is only because MasterCard doesn't issue any credit cards.  Not a single one.  Neither does VISA. Smiley
Boussac
Legendary

Activity: 1220
Merit: 1015

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2012, 03:27:39 PM

That was my initial thought too, because something that was relatively innocuous is now on CNN, etc. However, in reality, the affiliate card programs generate transaction/fee volume for MC; they don't care if it's a Planned Parenthood card or an ACLU card or an NRA card. I doubt that this has put bitcoin on any 'special radar' (it's no different than selling bitcoin on your own and putting the value on your Wal*Mart debit card.)

I believe that the BitInstant card will receive approval. The thought that Mastercard is intimidated by bitcoin is funny, because they could co-opt BTC momentum at any time by just adding it to the list of 158 other currencies that they authorize and clear in. Bitcoin is another currency to Mastercard and the chargeback and consumer protections provided by that network are value-adds for certain transactions.

I believe too they will get approval. MC must have understood that they can offer value added services through their members using the bitcoin network. It's a no brainer for anyone with some understanding of bitcoin and some experience in the payment business. MC is a challenger to Visa, that's why they are the first movers.Yet it's a major shift of their current operating model. Bitcoin is still small enough for them to experiment without taking much risks.

Piper67
Legendary

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 03:41:21 PM

I believe too they will get approval. MC must have understood that they can offer value added services through their members using the bitcoin network. It's a no brainer for anyone with some understanding of bitcoin and some experience in the payment business. MC is a challenger to Visa, that's why they are the first movers.Yet it's a major shift of their current operating model. Bitcoin is still small enough for them to experiment without taking much risks.

I think MC would be sold on it if someone explained to them how a Bitcoin debit card would make them a serious competitor to Western Union and other cash transfer methods. They'd probably want a piece of that pie.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 03:51:14 PM

MC and Visa will support bitcoin for one reason. The only reason they support anything - profit. It is no more complex than that.
Whenever I start a business I try to make the it about one thing, making money. If you are going into business to do good in the world or pursue your dreams, then you are likely going to fail. Your goal should be to make money at all costs. A serious business like MasterCard knows this and they will make their decisions accordingly.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Dusty

Activity: 731
Merit: 503

Libertas a calumnia

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2012, 09:27:43 AM

As stated several times in other threads, a MasterCard debit card funded by bitcoins is already available since months by OkPay, so I see no problems why bitinstant should have any problems.

Articoli bitcoin: Il portico dipinto
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: