Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 03:38:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: CoinFest 2016  (Read 22019 times)
lottery248
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1005

beware of your keys.

View Profile
September 28, 2015, 04:42:18 AM

hello,
i am talking about ours, yet we want some funds to hold it in hong kong.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1126554.0

(i will prove that we are not begging for money. information are planning.)

The thing is, 10 bitcoins is a lofty goal. Except for CoinFest Vancouver, I don't think any city-node has never managed to raise that much money. Vancouver was only able to pull it off because CoinFest was founded there, and it took 3 years of operation to achieve that success.

What I do is start small and expand the scope of operations as more resources are acquired. CoinFest in Hong Kong could be as simple as a gathering of enthusiasts at a cafe or bar that accepts Bitcoin--that's what the first CoinFest was.

To be added to the world map on www.coinfest.org, you must be committed to hosting an event, even if you do not meet your original fundraising goals. Can you make this promise?
got them, i will try to make this promise.
it is ~20000 HKD. it holds for at least 4 days with everything needed.
You can't "try" to make a promise. Promises are binary declarations--you make them or you don't. Tongue

Listen, just remember not to shoot for the Moon. You can't just pick a number and hope to meet it. You must look around for sponsors and fundraising opportunities, and plan your expenses based upon the estimate you come up with. The first CoinFest event had a budget of $100 USD (worth of bitcoins), and it went fine. I got a free venue and cut costs as much as possible.
i am not trying to shoot it for the moon, mate.
nowadays in hong kong, renting a venue is ridiculously expensive.
originally, we decided to rent a small theatre in somewhere, however, after a round of calculation, i found that renting a small theatre is more expensive than renting a soccer ground. i don't wanna use the small venues because it does not comfortable to people when crowded. we decided to rent soccer ground as preliminary, as it is more affordable and more possible visitors/audiences. and originally we had venue that we always use, but it is not avaliable for us that period. we have no choice, if we got that venue, we would not need to spend such a lot of money. for our one, we have to accept general audiences of admission in order to have better popularity. more importantly, we need to grant children friendly, and legitimately promoting bitcoin even though the past incident affected the popularity.
coinfest uses to help promoting bitcoin, if we make this event but cannot attract a certain popularity, then we won't call it successful.
hope you understand.  Sad
If even ten people get together, it is a success--we've had CoinFest events that small before in a couple cities. This decentralized convention is open source, however, so how you handle it locally is up to you so long as you follow the basic protocols: no using fiat (the venue must let you pay in Bitcoin), it must be free to attend, and no making any profit. Keep me informed, and if it looks like you'll meet your goal in line with those protocols, I'll add you to the map.
we do not use fiat, and we make it free admission, protocol is gonna be granted, explicitly. :l
(only expect for the venue renting the venue belongs to the government and they are not yet accepts bitcoin.  Cry)

out of ability to use the signature, i want a new ban strike policy that will fade the strike after 90~120 days of the ban and not to be traced back, like google | email me for anything urgent, message will possibly not be instantly responded
i am not really active for some reason

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
The Bitcoin Co-op (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1268
Merit: 1006

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2015, 02:28:01 PM

So you have to pay the venue in fiat? that's not cool--then you have to use fiat

We work hard to promote Bitcoin adoption and the decentralization of society. You can support our efforts by donating BTC to 35wDNxFhDB6Ss8fgijUUpn2Yx6sggDgGqS
lottery248
Legendary

beware of your keys.

View Profile
September 29, 2015, 05:14:42 AM
Last edit: September 29, 2015, 08:12:24 AM by lottery248

So you have to pay the venue in fiat? that's not cool--then you have to use fiat
and that is the only expectation.  Cry
we are gonna follow all of the rules as we can.

out of ability to use the signature, i want a new ban strike policy that will fade the strike after 90~120 days of the ban and not to be traced back, like google | email me for anything urgent, message will possibly not be instantly responded
The Bitcoin Co-op (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2015, 09:44:45 AM

It's basically the most important tradition of CoinFest. Undecided You can do whatever you want, of course, but for listing on www.coinfest.org, you cannot pay a venue using fiat money. The venue must either be free or accept cryptocurrency. Even in Russia--where use of Bitcoin is illegal--they managed to find a Bitcoin venue without getting in trouble.

We work hard to promote Bitcoin adoption and the decentralization of society. You can support our efforts by donating BTC to 35wDNxFhDB6Ss8fgijUUpn2Yx6sggDgGqS
lottery248
Legendary

beware of your keys.

View Profile
September 29, 2015, 11:52:57 AM

It's basically the most important tradition of CoinFest. Undecided You can do whatever you want, of course, but for listing on www.coinfest.org, you cannot pay a venue using fiat money. The venue must either be free or accept cryptocurrency. Even in Russia--where use of Bitcoin is illegal--they managed to find a Bitcoin venue without getting in trouble.
we have no choice, if they accepted that, we would pay it in bitcoin.  Cry

The Bitcoin Co-op (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2015, 03:50:30 PM

You could choose to host CoinFest at another venue.

lottery248
Legendary

beware of your keys.

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 04:42:48 AM

but bitcoin-accepted venues are either too small or too expensive.
i can only apologise that the venue renting is the only expectation.
maybe if we held coinfest, the government would accept bitcoin?

The Bitcoin Co-op (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2015, 01:18:51 PM

Why do you think restaurants, bars, cafes, and other event venues accept Bitcoin? They do it for customers. If CoinFest goes to places that accept fiat, the Bitcoin venues will think there is no point in accepting Bitcoin. We will be betraying them.

This method of operation has already convinced multiple venues to accept Bitcoin--it's an ultimatum. You must go to this venue in Hong Kong and say you are looking for a place to host CoinFest, but that CoinFest cannot use "regular" money. If they agree, they will get free business and publicity--if not, they don't deserve it.

lottery248
Legendary

beware of your keys.

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 11:43:36 PM

Why do you think restaurants, bars, cafes, and other event venues accept Bitcoin? They do it for customers. If CoinFest goes to places that accept fiat, the Bitcoin venues will think there is no point in accepting Bitcoin. We will be betraying them.

This method of operation has already convinced multiple venues to accept Bitcoin--it's an ultimatum. You must go to this venue in Hong Kong and say you are looking for a place to host CoinFest, but that CoinFest cannot use "regular" money. If they agree, they will get free business and publicity--if not, they don't deserve it.
the bold place said what i need.
we need to come with the fiat first before they actually accepts bitcoin. (since they didn't even know what that exactly is, we need to teach them before we gain ability)
i can only apologize for that matter, otherwise i would not need to

The Bitcoin Co-op (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2015, 07:56:34 AM

Small is fine, man. We've had CoinFest events as small as 10 people, before. It sounds like you just want to be famous, so I'm not going to add you to the map.

lottery248
Legendary

beware of your keys.

View Profile
October 03, 2015, 06:15:38 AM

then, i am contacting the government to apply bitcoin payment, i must get it to the larger places.
this time i will grant the standard to pay the rent in bitcoin.

The Bitcoin Co-op (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2015, 10:55:07 PM

then, i am contacting the government to apply bitcoin payment, i must get it to the larger places.
this time i will grant the standard to pay the rent in bitcoin.
If you succeed in convincing them to accept Bitcoin, I will make sure you appear on NewsBTC, and you will probably appear on other outlets, maybe even CoinDesk and local mainstream news channels in your area. Smiley

EthanB

Activity: 462
Merit: 336

View Profile
October 04, 2015, 02:33:32 AM

I am in New York, thinking I'm definitely attending CoinFest 2016. I recently have begun working from home, so I have the ability to travel freely. I want to help out in some way, and I certainly want to attend with possibly a few friends.

Trying to find the most exciting event near me, to convince the car-full of people I bring with me to begin using Bitcoin for the first time.
Lazada

Activity: 686
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 04, 2015, 02:36:18 AM

too few places in asia. whereas miners and users in ASIA amount to quite a lot. very unfortunate..
The Bitcoin Co-op (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2015, 09:32:36 AM

I am in New York, thinking I'm definitely attending CoinFest 2016. I recently have begun working from home, so I have the ability to travel freely. I want to help out in some way, and I certainly want to attend with possibly a few friends.

Trying to find the most exciting event near me, to convince the car-full of people I bring with me to begin using Bitcoin for the first time.
Unfortunately, there are not yet any CoinFest events all that close to New York. Maybe you could try to convince the Bitcoin Center there to host one?

too few places in asia. whereas miners and users in ASIA amount to quite a lot. very unfortunate..
Yeah, it's mostly just Korea so far. This is an open source movement, so people in Asia have to decide to make it happen.

EthanB

Activity: 462
Merit: 336

View Profile
October 05, 2015, 08:06:23 PM

Unfortunately, there are not yet any CoinFest events all that close to New York. Maybe you could try to convince the Bitcoin Center there to host one?

Yeah, it's mostly just Korea so far. This is an open source movement, so people in Asia have to decide to make it happen.

I was actually planning on Road-tripping to the largest one "near" me. Meaning I would drive anywhere in USA or Canada for the largest event held within those two countries Smiley

So my questions is , which is the biggest/most-exciting event held in U.S.A./Canada? and how can I help out?
The Bitcoin Co-op (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2015, 05:44:11 AM

I was actually planning on Road-tripping to the largest one "near" me. Meaning I would drive anywhere in USA or Canada for the largest event held within those two countries Smiley

So my questions is , which is the biggest/most-exciting event held in U.S.A./Canada? and how can I help out?
Well, if that's your definition of near, you have quite a few options. Tongue CoinFests are planned in Tampa Bay, Orange Country/Los Angeles (exact location undecided), Niagara, Toronto and Vancouver. It's hard to say which one will be biggest at this point, though. It used to be that Vancouver always stole the show, but this stopped being the case at the last CoinFest. Vancouver was still the biggest in North America, but might be less grand this year.

TLDR: I suggest waiting a bit before deciding which one you want to attend. You can see the list as it evolves here: http://www.coinfest.org/coinfest-2016/

As for helping out: help spread the word as much as possible so people come and celebrate, and every CoinFest event is bigger. Many of them also require volunteers to operate.

The Bitcoin Co-op (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2015, 06:23:52 PM

The CoinFest movement continues to grow around the world. With the addition of Nakuru, Kenya and Il-Imier, Switzerland, there are now 31 cities scheduled to participate in CoinFest 2016. We've almost doubled our record, but still have time to spread to at least a dozen more--see the map below for details.

The Transparency Page has also been updated to account for our new 10-of-15 multisig address. All bitcoins have been successfully moved, thereby fixing our Transparency System. See: http://www.coinfest.org/transparency/

Mitchell
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2198

Verified awesomeness ✔

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2015, 06:28:07 PM

Where can I read about the Amsterdam CoinFest 2016 event?

Duelbits
            ▄████▄▄
          ▄█████████▄
        ▄█████████████▄
     ▄██████████████████▄
   ▄████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄███▄
 ▄████▐▀▄▄▀▌████▐▀▄▄▀▌██

██████▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀█████

▐████████████■▄▄▄■██████████▀
▐██████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
  ▀███████████████████▀
    ▀███████████████▀
         ▄ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▄▄
         ▄▀▀▄      █
         █   ▀▄     █
       ▄█▄     ▀▄   █
      ▄▀ ▀▄      ▀█▀
    ▄▀     ▀█▄▄▄▀▀ ▀
  ▄▀  ▄▀  ▄▀

Live Games

▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
 ▄▀ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▄
▄▀ █ ▄  █  ▄ █ ▀▄
█ █   ▀   ▀   █ █  ▄▄▄
█ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ █ █   █
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █▄█
█ ▀▀█  ▀▀█  ▀▀█ █  █▄█

Slots
        ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
        █         ▄▄  █
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄       █
█  ▄▄         █       █
█             █       █
█   ▄▀▀▄▀▀▄   █       █
█   ▀▄   ▄▀   █       █

Blackjack
|█▀▀▀▀▀█▄▄▄
       ▀████▄▄
         ██████▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀    ▀▀█
████████▄        █
█████████▄        █
██████████▄     ▄██
█████████▀▀▀█▄▄████
▀▀███▀▀       ████
   █          ███
   █          █▀
▄█████▄▄▄ ▄▄▀▀
███████▀▀▀
                 NEW!                  
SPORTS BETTING 
|||
[ Đ ][ Ł ]
AVAILABLE NOW

Advertisements are not endorsed by me.
The Bitcoin Co-op (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2015, 07:46:52 PM

Where can I read about the Amsterdam CoinFest 2016 event?

Before 2015 is over, www.coinfest.org/coinfest-2016 will be updated with more details. Each participating city will have a couple sentences about what's going on there, and link to its Facebook/G+ event, Meet Up, EventBrite or dedicated webpage/website. Most of the cities haven't started planning, yet, although Amsterdam will be a lot like Bitcoin Wednesday there usually is.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: