Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:17:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to get free Bitcoin by exploiting a DASH InstantX  (Read 6240 times)
FryMaple (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 17, 2015, 02:33:38 PM

OK!
so who ends up with the money, obviously you broadcast 2 transactions. would first payment to your 4th wallet end up being included in a block in the the future since its out there in other mempools, what about the 2nd over to "shapeshift"
when do broadcast transactions get tossed out of the mempool, when theyre included in a block?

We deal with mini-forks all day long in POS coins, orphans etc. you can respend on a pos coin after 1 confirm. I havent seen an army of pitchforks lifted against this. wouldnt it cause the same issue?

You end up with BTC and your original dash wallet. Shapeshift ends up with nothing.

Yes they leave the mempool when they are accepted.

This mini-fork issue is exactly the reason you require many confirms before you can spend coins. It doesn't even have to be an attack to find 1 block it didn't know about and cancel your mined block. Requiring only 1 block confirmation is very dangerous.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Brilliantrocket

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 17, 2015, 02:41:03 PM

Put in a ton of work and investment to possibly get a reward that won't even cover the investment? Anyone with a brain will require multiple confirmations for large transactions. All you've done here is show that this attack would be a waste of time.
kaene

Activity: 784
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 17, 2015, 07:17:28 PM

Every time I find a new method to get free Bitcoin, the first thing I do is to create a new forum account and publish it publicly, I mean, who would keep secretly a working money printer that works?
cloudboy

Activity: 690
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 17, 2015, 07:50:11 PM

Every time I find a new method to get free Bitcoin, the first thing I do is to create a new forum account and publish it publicly, I mean, who would keep secretly a working money printer that works?

Lol Wtf Maybe he doesn't want to steal peoples money
kaene

Activity: 784
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 17, 2015, 09:46:27 PM

Lol Wtf Maybe he doesn't want to steal peoples money

And that's why he made it public ... with a new account ...  Roll Eyes
cakir
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

★ BitClave ICO: 15/09/17 ★

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2015, 09:50:59 PM

This topic made me laugh Grin

It looks like this guy suggests to send bitcoin from testnet to normal blockchain Grin
if you mine offline you'll fork the chain by yourself, it's not gonna matter if you use instantx or not. Main chain doesn't recognize your offline mined coins Wink

,'#██+:                 
              ,█████████████'             
            +██████████████████           
          ;██████████████████████         
         ███████:         .███████`       
        ██████               ;█████'      
      `█████                   #████#     
      ████+                     `████+    
     ████:                        ████,   
    ████:    .#              █     ████   
   ;███+     ██             ███     ████  
   ████     ███'            ███.    '███, 
  +███     #████           ,████     ████ 
  ████     █████ .+██████: █████+    `███.
 ,███     ███████████████████████     ████
 ████     ███████████████████████'    :███
 ███:    +████████████████████████     ███`
 ███     █████████████████████████`    ███+
,███     ██████████████████████████    #███
'███    '██████████████████████████    ;███
#███    ███████████████████████████    ,███
████    ███████████████████████████.   .███
████    ███████████████████████████'   .███
+███    ███████████████████████████+   :███
:███    ███████████████████████████'   +███
 ███    ███████████████████████████.   ███#
 ███.   #██████████████████████████    ███,
 ████    █████████████████████████+   `███
 '███    '████████████████████████    ████
  ███;    ███████████████████████     ███;
  ████     #████████████████████     ████ 
   ███#     .██████████████████     `███+ 
   ████`      ;██████████████       ████  
    ████         '███████#.        ████.  
    .████                         █████   
     '████                       █████    
      #████'                    █████     
       +█████`                ██████      
        ,██████:           `███████       
          ████████#;,..:+████████.        
           ,███████████████████+          
             .███████████████;            
                `+███████#,               
Jeff8247

Activity: 219
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 17, 2015, 10:15:44 PM

LOL trolls at it again. Nice try guys!

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." -Abraham Lincoln, 1864
eduffield
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1036

Dash Developer

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2015, 10:25:58 PM

This attack could, of course never be carried out on any Proof of Work network InstantX.

You should look at the code and read the whitepaper, because it deals with this exact situation. Nice try though...

Dash - Digital Cash | dash.org | dashfoundation.io | dashgo.io
FryMaple (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 12:55:43 AM

This attack could, of course never be carried out on any Proof of Work network InstantX.

You should look at the code and read the whitepaper, because it deals with this exact situation. Nice try though...

This attack could, of course, be carried out on any Proof of Work network.

Why did you change my quote? Are you saying Dash doesn't accept the longest blockchain?
eduffield
Legendary

Activity: 1176

Dash Developer

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2015, 05:42:56 AM

Why did you change my quote? Are you saying Dash doesn't accept the longest blockchain?

Correct. If you get a successful lock on a transaction, conflicting blocks are outright rejected.

Read the code here:
https://github.com/dashpay/dash/blob/master/src/main.cpp#L2849

You realize we have a testnet with very low hashrate? You could try this, Feel free.

Dash - Digital Cash | dash.org | dashfoundation.io | dashgo.io
generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2015, 08:37:08 AM

Correct. If you get a successful lock on a transaction, conflicting blocks are outright rejected.

Read the code here:
https://github.com/dashpay/dash/blob/master/src/main.cpp#L2849

You realize we have a testnet with very low hashrate? You could try this, Feel free.

Did you use a testnet when you accidentally mined all those coins? https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=999886.100

astrobitcoin

Activity: 134

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 09:01:33 AM

lol seems like you are not able to continue discussion and start asking the first off topic crap that comes in your mind, really mature and great arguments
generalizethis
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2015, 09:06:01 AM

lol seems like you are not able to continue discussion and start asking the first off topic crap that comes in your mind, really mature and great arguments

Actually, he's the one who did the mining, so when he pops his head out on a thread, I want to publicly confront him and get a straight answer-- I've heard from his apologist, I want to hear it straight from him.

toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 10:32:47 AM

I want to publicly confront him

LoL !

You should get yourself a uniform  Wink

(And start with yourself for promoting bookkeeping software as money)
generalizethis
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2015, 11:14:58 AM

I want to publicly confront him

LoL !

You should get yourself a uniform  Wink Or maybe a cheap suit to sell snake oil like Evan has.

(And be proud of yourself for supporting a coin with a fair mine and a ledger that is as public as YOU want it to be)

How can Monero be both anonymous and transparent at the same time?
Monero is "private, optionally transparent". By default, you can get very little information from Monero (you can know that a transaction occurred, but not whence, how much and whither).

But you can decide to give one particular person access to your balance by providing this person a viewkey, a specific string. For the moment, support is limited to MyMonero.com-created addresses, since this wallet is the only one able to take advantage of viewkeys and MyMonero doesn't yet allow reading a non-MyMonero.com-created address (such as an address created with simplewallet). But later, support will be extended to any wallet and addresses.

Another optional transparency feature, hinted at in the original whitepaper but not implemented yet, is auditable addresses.

Finally, we have also considered other methods of allowing for transparency on specific transactions. People want to be able to selectively prove payments on demand and generally open up to transparency in a controlled manner, without everything being linkable and traceable to the rest of their transactions.

See also this comment by Riccardo Spagni/fluffypony on reddit:

I'd argue that there is another option. If I may demonstrate: Monero currently implements cryptographically sound transactional unlinkability and untraceability. However, it allows individuals to (completely optionally) give their "view key" to a select few, or to the government, or even publish it somewhere.

A view key can be used to reveal all transactions for an account. This means that companies could still be audited, charities could make their accounts publicly visible, and parents could see what their kids are spending the money on. Additionally, details of a transaction can be revealed via a similar mechanism on a per-transaction basis.

So the option I alluded to earlier is this: there already exists a cryptocurrency that has privacy by default, transparency optional. Governments wouldn't need to outlaw it, as law enforcement could still be given the tools to investigate illicit transactions (although they'd need to ask for the person's viewkey first, but that's no different than asking for someone's password to reveal incriminating evidence on their computer).

I'm glad scams and privacy are a joke to you. They're not to me. If it wasn't an instamine (accident or otherwise), he would have relaunched it to avoid the scam-tag. He didn't--he chose to keep his mining reward and then rename the coin twice. He earned it, so he can keep it.

Dash was instamined. And no one can justify calling it any other way without lying through their teeth.

Jeff8247

Activity: 219

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 11:31:14 AM

There's nothing I despise more than a moanero troll in the crypto world. I don't think they realise there damaging the crypto world as a whole with their non stop fud. I mean if I was fresh money there's no way I'd invest in any coin...

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." -Abraham Lincoln, 1864
toknormal
Legendary

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 11:49:28 AM

I'm glad scams and privacy are a joke to you. They're not to me.

You might have a point if you had created the value and he had "instamined" it.

As it his, he created the value and everybody else benefited.

So give the faux outrage a break. Markets will sort out how much it matters.
generalizethis
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2015, 11:50:43 AM

There's nothing I despise more than a moanero troll in the crypto world. I don't think they realise there damaging the crypto world as a whole with their non stop fud. I mean if I was fresh money there's no way I'd invest in any coin...

Compassion troll, we can see your post history and deduce that you take any criticism of X/DRK/DSH as a threat to all of crypto. Either refute it or own it, but don't try to gloss over it with some BS of how it hurts the community. It hurts Dash, an instamined failure of privacy, that could do more harm by inviting people to use their Jerry-rigged Amway-nodes which have as much business of being in crypto as a lift kit on a Ferrari.

generalizethis
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2015, 11:53:30 AM

I'm glad scams and privacy are a joke to you. They're not to me.

You might have a point if you had created the value and he had "instamined" it.

As it his, he created the value and everybody else benefited.

So give the faux outrage a break. Markets will sort out how much it matters.

BULLSHIT! He instamined it and then claimed it was an accident. But failed to relaunch it to avoid the the scam label. It IS an instamine--don't try rationalize it differently.

toknormal
Legendary

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 12:14:31 PM

rolling pin out...

Your the one having difficulty "rationalizing it'  Wink

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: