Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:42:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to spread Bitcoin? By "forced" donation - Starcraft 2  (Read 1812 times)
Frozenlock (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 28, 2011, 02:46:31 AM

I strongly believe Bitcoin will enter society layer by layer, the firsts being the crypto-maniacs, the geeks, the gamers... to the lasts, probably being the ol' farmer and the kind grandma (who always ask you-know-who when she has a computer problem).

I might be wrong, but I also have the impression most Bitcoiner are aware of the difference between fiat currency and gold/silver. This, my friends, was the easy layer. If you ever tried to explain this difference, you know most individuals simply don't care. Chances are that they won't care more for Bitcoin.

So, how can we show Bitcoin to the world, one layer at the time?

I believe the next layer is the gamers.
They use computers everyday and know enough to cope with all this techy stuff. I know some have been lured to the mining side, but clearly they're a minority. Some forums even have been deleting Bitcoin threads.

One sweet spot would be the Starcraft 2 community. E-sports really are on the rise, with hundreds of thousands in prize pools (for example, over 100K for the NASL). Champions are streaming their practice games and regularly have 10k viewers.

Now to the point: I propose we pledge to give some donations to game casters, with a certain condition; they must place a Bitcoin donation button on their sites. It's THIS button we would use (meaning it should work).
"We want to give you *many BTC*, but you need to accept Bitcoin."

Full disclosure: I don't play Starcraft 2, but I watch the casted games. Those casters are amazingly fun.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I WILL donate 10 BTC to Day9 if he puts a Bitcoin donate button on his stream or blip.tv page by the end of July.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS_12p4bJVI A short Day9's joke

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJztfsXKcPQ Seriously, this.... this.... wow

Of course, the effect would magnified if I had some collaborators.  Tongue

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
stillfire

Activity: 124
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 28, 2011, 02:51:03 AM

That's a fun idea. It's too bad one can't just give coins to random people by email address. Winners in Starcraft 2 tournaments for instance. They'd be forced to learn about it if they wanted to cash out on these mysterious gifts and then perhaps they'd get into the mood of getting more. Wink

Lost your wallet password? Try Stillfire's Password Recovery Service.
Frozenlock (OP)

View Profile
May 28, 2011, 03:00:19 AM

The goal is to make the Bitcoin usage public. If you send by an email, they could simply say "Thank you", without showing Bitcoin to anyone.
stillfire

Activity: 124

View Profile
May 28, 2011, 03:08:38 AM

Yes but the point would be to build up interest among the players so that eventually they will be receptive to the idea of playing tournaments with BTC prizes.

Obviously, having a Bitcoin donation button on a big caster's page would be worth more in terms of publicity. My idea is just a parallel one based on a desire to see tournaments in BTC.

Lost your wallet password? Try Stillfire's Password Recovery Service.
Frozenlock (OP)

View Profile
May 28, 2011, 04:25:37 AM

Posted my pledge on TeamLiquid, in the Bitcoin thread.
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=226102&currentpage=2#28
DeaDTerra
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 02:49:21 PM

Yes but the point would be to build up interest among the players so that eventually they will be receptive to the idea of playing tournaments with BTC prizes.

Obviously, having a Bitcoin donation button on a big caster's page would be worth more in terms of publicity. My idea is just a parallel one based on a desire to see tournaments in BTC.
DeaD.Gaming are currently looking for Sponsors for our next tournament, this could be a chance to see tournaments with a BTC price pool Smiley https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=46564.0
qikaifu

Activity: 168

God creats math and math creats bitcoin.

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 03:02:59 PM

Donation seems begging for sympathy.

A real man should forget about donation, just develop some service people will buy, like a small game, as successful as Angry Birds or Plants V.S Zombies, Then charge and only charge in bitcoin. This will do really good for bitcoin.

If you see any of my suggestions useful, please donate me. http://btc.to/ec
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2011, 04:08:56 PM

Many of these games charge you money to get "coins" or "gold" or whichever game currency they use.

They could charge the same and use Bitcoins as the game currency.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 04:57:30 PM

That's a fun idea. It's too bad one can't just give coins to random people by email address. Winners in Starcraft 2 tournaments for instance. They'd be forced to learn about it if they wanted to cash out on these mysterious gifts and then perhaps they'd get into the mood of getting more. Wink

You can give coins to random people by email address. Use BTCinch.com They're in beta, but PM me your email and I'll show you (goes for anyone who's curious).
bracek

Activity: 530
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 05:23:02 PM

You can give coins to random people by email address. Use BTCinch.com They're in beta, but PM me your email and I'll show you (goes for anyone who's curious).

wow,
spamming with money Smiley
that is really out of the box thinking
nice idea...
oOoOo

Activity: 238

View Profile
October 04, 2011, 05:32:28 PM

I believe the next layer is the gamers.

Followed by Artists, Musicians and small Bands who are flexible when it comes to donations and can easily adjust to receiving Bitcoins.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: