Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 06:47:49 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How would you introduce Bitcoin to your friends and family?  (Read 10885 times)
planetroving (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 08:40:17 AM

The latest event that just happened on bitcointalk.org that saw the site compromised and down for quite a number of days would've scared off new people interested in Bitcoin. This would lead them to think that the whole Bitcoin network is open to hacks, even though this is wrong. This would also catch media attention, causing people to go and talk about how 'Bitcoin is bad' because is has been 'hacked'. This is not how we want it at all, as it is all wrong. I hope the future of the forum, and Bitcoin in general, would not encounter such problems anymore.

Anyways, with that out of the way, a question: Should you tell the person you're introducing Bitcoin to about the forum? If yes, then they might find out about the hack. But then the forum is a place for support for them. So should you or should you not?
iamnotcool
Legendary

Activity: 1043

View Profile
May 29, 2015, 08:49:43 AM

The latest event that just happened on bitcointalk.org that saw the site compromised and down for quite a number of days would've scared off new people interested in Bitcoin. This would lead them to think that the whole Bitcoin network is open to hacks, even though this is wrong. This would also catch media attention, causing people to go and talk about how 'Bitcoin is bad' because is has been 'hacked'. This is not how we want it at all, as it is all wrong. I hope the future of the forum, and Bitcoin in general, would not encounter such problems anymore.

Anyways, with that out of the way, a question: Should you tell the person you're introducing Bitcoin to about the forum? If yes, then they might find out about the hack. But then the forum is a place for support for them. So should you or should you not?
Tell then that the forum being hacked won't mean that their Bitcoins will also be hacked. Many websites get hacked and Bitcointalk is no exception.

fukuda

Activity: 163
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 03:07:23 PM

I don't try to convince. For one, people tend to assume that I have something to gain. Like I'm going to collect a commission or something. And for two, I don't want them to have any reason to be mad at me if they fuck up and lose their BTC.
Bitcoin Explorer

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 08:43:46 PM

I don't try to convince. For one, people tend to assume that I have something to gain. Like I'm going to collect a commission or something. And for two, I don't want them to have any reason to be mad at me if they fuck up and lose their BTC.
Better clear the preconception that they think you gain comission.

Gultahin

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

۩۞۩ secondstrade.com ★

View Profile
May 30, 2015, 11:12:03 PM

Well introducing it to the "elders" is much more difficult than to younger ones, for those that when you talk about investment expect less than 1% on monthly rate and a certain stability the btc "dream" that already achived more than 100% in just some month and with some mining options giving the most secure one (not ponzi) around 5% per month seens hard to belive... But the young tends to be much more entusiasmed around the whole idea.. they usually buy the btc "dream" the only problem i see on them is that they go way to hunger without considering the risks we all know any kind of invesment, expecially crypto, can have.

▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼  No.1 Bitcoin Binary Options and Double Dice  ▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼
████████████████████████████████  sec◔nds trade  ████████████████████████████████
↑↓ Instant Bets ↑↓ Flexible 1~720 minutes Expiry time ↑↓ Highest Reward 190% ↑↓ 16 Assets [btc, forex, gold, 1% edge double dice] ↑↓
BITCOINERSEJATI

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 31, 2015, 01:38:47 AM

Well introducing it to the "elders" is much more difficult than to younger ones, for those that when you talk about investment expect less than 1% on monthly rate and a certain stability the btc "dream" that already achived more than 100% in just some month and with some mining options giving the most secure one (not ponzi) around 5% per month seens hard to belive... But the young tends to be much more entusiasmed around the whole idea.. they usually buy the btc "dream" the only problem i see on them is that they go way to hunger without considering the risks we all know any kind of invesment, expecially crypto, can have.

I trade Bitcoin and i try to introudcing bitcoin to my family but my mother say
"don't use bitcoin, that not real money, that money laundry, you will be arrested, and blablabla"

very hard to introducing internet technology and Bitcoin
now iam still trade and use bitcoin but i will'nt try to introducing again  Cheesy

notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
May 31, 2015, 04:44:15 AM

I think a lot of it is if you have "techie" friends or family to be honest.  I was able to get a family member interested in BTC but he was techie so it was natural.

There are those people who have had that VCR blinking 12:00 for the past 15 years.  Those are are slim chance of liking BTC.

It is fun to get them involved gives you someone to talk to about bitcoin.   It is a very nice thing and worth the time.
Bizmark13

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

WikiScams.org - Information about Bitcoin Scams

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 04:26:48 AM

Well, title say all to be honest. How would you introduce them to Bitcoin? Let's say they don't exactly have the technical know-how. I've been with Bitcoin for a while, but still don't understand it fully either, so this will help me as well along the way.
Thank you

My parents didn't really understand Bitcoin at all until they read an article in the local newspaper about it. That helped them understand the basic idea behind it, but they still didn't quite understand how the whole thing worked.

Then I showed them this awesome analogy which helped to clear things up quite a bit:

http://jrruethe.github.io/blog/2015/04/26/bitcoin-analogy/
ronaldo40
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1014

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 06:20:14 AM

I am unemployed and I was always in front of the computer and my mother's strange why I can get money I said I get money from bitcoin and then I explain what it is bitcoin and my mother still did not understand haha

randy8777
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 09:25:59 AM

i explained them what bitcoin is step by step in easy language. if you see they start to understand the basics you can then slowly talk to them about technical aspects.
planetroving (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2170

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 07:34:46 AM

i explained them what bitcoin is step by step in easy language. if you see they start to understand the basics you can then slowly talk to them about technical aspects.
By easy language do you mean something like this?
Bitcoin is magic Internet money that is like real money but digital.
Or
Bitcoin is a digital currency that you can trade, earn from verifying transactions (mining)...
Herbert2020
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137

View Profile
June 03, 2015, 12:51:50 PM

a few days back was the bitcoin pizza day.
it was a good opportunity for anyone to introduce bitcion to friends and family. i took advantage of this situation and bought a pizza with my bitcoin and introduced the whole cryptocurrency world to one of my close friends.
now he is hooked up Smiley

Weak hands have been complaining about missing out ever since bitcoin was $1 and never buy the dip.
Whales are those who keep buying the dip.
btc-facebook
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 03, 2015, 03:19:12 PM

My parents didn't really understand Bitcoin at all until they read an article in the local newspaper about it. That helped them understand the basic idea behind it, but they still didn't quite understand how the whole thing worked.

Then I showed them this awesome analogy which helped to clear things up quite a bit:

http://jrruethe.github.io/blog/2015/04/26/bitcoin-analogy/

I'm bet your father ever use internet before so he still can use bitcoin. My father was different. He never learn about internet on his childhood. So although I've explained about how bitcoin works, My father still difficult to understand it and he also advise me to stay away for bitcoin because it's unstable price.
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
June 04, 2015, 01:03:07 AM

"If it hits a hundred bucks, buy it."

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
sakira

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 26, 2015, 07:37:05 PM

I explained that bitcoin can be exchanged into money, then they are very enthusiastic want to try to find the bitcoin and how. My first explains how to create a wallet. but then I confused the site what it is worth to them looking for bitcoin? I do not recommend faucet, because the reward is very small. so I try to tell to play the signature campaign  Grin Grin
sana9821

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 26, 2015, 07:40:01 PM

Buy some pizza with BTC and then explain how bitcoins work whilst eating the pizza.

Everyone loves free pizza and will tolerate you boring them as long as you are feeding them  Wink
and they wont even listen you then, i think the best way is to make people try it out and see its benefits

ronaldo40
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1014

View Profile
June 26, 2015, 07:51:15 PM

Buy some pizza with BTC and then explain how bitcoins work whilst eating the pizza.

Everyone loves free pizza and will tolerate you boring them as long as you are feeding them  Wink
and they wont even listen you then, i think the best way is to make people try it out and see its benefits

ya right, if they know that the benefits of bitcoin can turn into money then they will attempt to find, like when my friend introduced me bitcoin  Smiley

notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
June 26, 2015, 07:54:50 PM

I really like teaching from mining.  I know one family member I was able to show my miners to, talk to them about BTC in general.  Eventually it rubbed off and the family member enjoyed learning more and more.   

Also talking about and helping set up a secure cold wallet is good for learning.  It was another good thing that showed the person a different side of BTC.

But lots of topics come and go, and in the end I have a family member who loves BTC as well.  So my story ends good. 
BitcoinNewbie15

Activity: 574
Merit: 296

Bitcoin isn't a bubble. It's the pin!

View Profile
June 27, 2015, 03:21:43 AM

Well, when I first introduced Bitcoin to my family, I did it very casually. When I explained it, I avoided technological terminology to the best of my ability. What I basically told them is this: Bitcoin allows them to be in control of their own money, and they can freely, instantly access their money at any time they want. Then I went over some pros and cons of using Bitcoin. Most of my family members were positive towards Bitcoin.
Bitdonator
Legendary

Activity: 1223
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 27, 2015, 08:29:15 AM

I will give them paper wallet with some amount of BTC, and say its a new form of money.

On other side of paper wallet, I will wrote links to Bitcoin Wiki and Bitcointalk,
so he can educate and learn about BTCBTCBTC
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: