Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 10:56:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... 68 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Discussion about 10,000BTC Bet (Official)  (Read 104432 times)
bittenbob

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 05:15:45 AM

I have to say, after seeing how matthew behaves on IRC and the forums I look at Bitcoin magazine differently...

He should just make a sock puppet account if he wants to act so unprofessional.

Im actually embarrassed for the members of that rag. I wonder why no one has reined him in...

Same.

I guess you didn't see Vladimir's post a few pages back. Bitcoin Magazine does not condone nor have any involvement with Matthew's bet.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 06:03:17 AM

I have to say, after seeing how matthew behaves on IRC and the forums I look at Bitcoin magazine differently...

Im actually embarrassed for the members of that rag. I wonder why no one has reined him in...

Same.

I guess you didn't see Vladimir's post a few pages back. Bitcoin Magazine does not condone nor have any involvement with Matthew's bet.

Aye. And shortly after that Mattew changed his avatar slogan from "Editor-in-Chief" to "Crusader of the Internet".
Hexadecibel
Human Intranet Liason
VIP

Activity: 571
Merit: 504

I still <3 u Satoshi

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 06:07:24 AM

Same.

No I saw it. Just as an analogy, my son does not represent our entire family, but that does not mean he can graffiti the school without it reflecting on us.

The fact that the Magazine does not condone the things Matthew does or says in these forums does not change the image he generates, and it is probably costing them magazine sales.
So yes, I am embarrassed for him and the rest of the company.

Aye. And shortly after that Mattew changed his avatar slogan from "Editor-in-Chief" to "Crusader of the Internet".

Ah, I did not catch that. That's a step in the right direction.
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 07:11:31 AM

I thought Phin was the self-appointed Crusader of the Internet (or Bitcoin, at least).

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 07:14:05 AM

I thought Phin was the self-appointed Crusader of the Internet (or Bitcoin, at least).

He's been a bit off-the-mark lately.

The_Duke

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Lead Core BitKitty Developer

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 07:17:55 AM

He's been a bit off-the-mark lately.

Seems you understood that right off-the-bet! Wink

NOT a member of the so called ''Bitcoin Foundation''. Choose Independence!

Donate to the BitKitty Foundation instead! -> 1Fd4yLneGmxRHnPi6WCMC2hAMzaWvDePF9 <-
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2012, 11:03:58 AM

But your bet with Matthew will lose you no money if he skips out on paying, you'll still have the money you "risked", just not the amount he promised you.
That's simply not true. If you relied on the bet and suffered a loss due to that reliance, then the bet lost you money.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
bitlane
Internet detective

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

I heart thebaron

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 11:22:34 AM

Well, if Matthew was a true Gangsta......he would have made the date September 11th and not September 9th.....

Way to miss out on an opportunity for infamy.

myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2012, 11:24:00 AM

But your bet with Matthew will lose you no money if he skips out on paying, you'll still have the money you "risked", just not the amount he promised you.
That's simply not true. If you relied on the bet and suffered a loss due to that reliance, then the bet lost you money.

I disagree. It's that reliance that lost you money. A bet is a risk. You should never rely on a risk paying off.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1041

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 11:27:00 AM

There's plenty of opportunity for surprises between now and September 9th.

Here's one unlikely but not impossible scenario: Suppose Pirate has another similar operation going within another community. He could use funds from there to pay off this operation at the last moment.
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2012, 11:31:29 AM

I think the most likely explanation is that Matthew has a coup d'etat planned for South Korea on 9th September. He'll have enough access to coins to pay off his bets, and enough power to not bother doing so.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
JoelKatz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2012, 11:51:52 AM

I disagree. It's that reliance that lost you money. A bet is a risk. You should never rely on a risk paying off.
The reliance is a direct consequence of the bet. Whether or not you "should" do it is irrelevant. The fact is that many people did do and did it as a direct result of the bet.

unclescrooge
aka Raphy

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 11:55:43 AM

The reliance is a direct consequence of the bet. Whether or not you "should" do it is irrelevant. The fact is that many people did do and did it as a direct result of the bet.

No. Everyone is responsible for his own acts.

Matthew never forced anyone to not sell his pirate debt or buy pirate debt to "hedge" the bet.

What you're saying is the road to collectivism, to serfdom, this idea that one can blame others for his own mistakes.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2012, 11:59:06 AM

Again, no. The reliance is a direct consequence of your greed and/or stupidity. Vandroiy's bet is escrowed, with a trusted 3rd party. Matthew's is not. If he defaults and you lose money, that's not his fault. He should get the scammer tag, since that's the terms of the deal, but don't go chasing after him for the money you threw away thinking he would back you up.

Personal responsibility is hard for some people. I get that. Doesn't make trying to blame other people for your bad decisions any more acceptable.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
JoelKatz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2012, 01:03:28 PM

Matthew never forced anyone to not sell his pirate debt or buy pirate debt to "hedge" the bet.

What you're saying is the road to collectivism, to serfdom, this idea that one can blame others for his own mistakes.
That is complete insanity.

Say I own a catering service. I contract with a shrimp supplier to provide me 150 pounds of shrimp on a particular date at a particular price. Are you saying I shouldn't rely on the supplier to provide me that shrimp? What should I do? Should I also buy 150 pounds of shrimp at the grocery store in case the shrimp supplier doesn't deliver the shrimp?

If the supplier just chooses not to provide me with the shrimp and I wind up being unable to do the catering job, are you saying that's my own fault for relying on the shrimp supplier and that I'm responsible for my own acts?

The whole reason we make agreements with other people is so that we can rely on them! That's the benefit we obtain and that's what we're paying for.

I'm not talking about blaming others for one's own mistakes. I'm talking about blaming people for not doing what they promised to do and the damages proximately caused by us relying on them to do what they promised to do.

Personal responsibility is hard for some people. I get that. Doesn't make trying to blame other people for your bad decisions any more acceptable.
When the "bad decision" was trusting someone else to keep their word, you absolutely should blame the other person.

(Not that I think it matters. I would be quite literally stunned if Matthew defaults.)

organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2012, 01:10:08 PM

Not much point in risk analysis then.

What you're saying here is that any venture that has it much riskier than average should never be expected to payout? Then to you investments are binary:either risk free, or infinitely risky.

You can define a risk by how much belief you have in it paying off. Believing a risk will never pay off would mean you wouldn't invest in that venture.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2012, 01:15:14 PM

Say I own a catering service. I contract with a shrimp supplier to provide me 150 pounds of shrimp on a particular date at a particular price. Are you saying I shouldn't rely on the supplier to provide me that shrimp? What should I do? Should I also buy 150 pounds of shrimp at the grocery store in case the shrimp supplier doesn't deliver the shrimp?

Ahh... You said the magic word. Let's compare these bets, shall we?

Matt's: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=101751.msg1113117#msg1113117

Vandroiy's: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91661.msg1013589#msg1013589

Notice anything different about them?

unclescrooge
aka Raphy

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 01:17:29 PM

If the supplier just chooses not to provide me with the shrimp and I wind up being unable to do the catering job, are you saying that's my own fault for relying on the shrimp supplier and that I'm responsible for my own acts?

The whole reason we make agreements with other people is so that we can rely on them! That's the benefit we obtain and that's what we're paying for.

I'm not talking about blaming others for one's own mistakes. I'm talking about blaming people for not doing what they promised to do and the damages proximately caused by us relying on them to do what they promised to do.

When the "bad decision" was trusting someone else to keep their word, you absolutely should blame the other person.

(Not that I think it matters. I would be quite literally stunned if Matthew defaults.)

Actually you're right, when I think of it, trust is the essence of capitalism. I trust my employer to pay my check, or i'll be in the forest hunting already.
But still, you can blame someone for not keeping his word, but not consequences  of your own acts, regardless of the reason you made them.

You have to draw a line, adn I think the line is your own act.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2012, 01:18:42 PM

What you're saying here is that any venture that has it much riskier than average should never be expected to payout?

No, just that you should never risk what you're not prepared to lose, and if you lose it, accept the fact that you lost it, by taking a bad risk.

organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2012, 01:25:00 PM

What you're saying here is that any venture that has it much riskier than average should never be expected to payout?

No, just that you should never risk what you're not prepared to lose, and if you lose it, accept the fact that you lost it, by taking a bad risk.

You're still considering risk a binary concept. It's not. Would you say the same statement about a venture with low risk? You need to define the risk you refer to in terms of the probability it will not pay. Then you can estimate how much to invest.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... 68 »
  Print  

Jump to: