Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:34:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Discussion about 10,000BTC Bet (Official)  (Read 104432 times)
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 07:27:54 AM

BTW, Matthew is speaking at the Bitcoin conference in London one week after the expiration date on his bet. Will it be a tough crowd?
http://www.bitcoin2012.com/speakers

I predict:

<_matthew_> Oh look, another genius has a question about my bet. What's it going to be this time-- how do you feel about your bet now? Do you really have the money? How come you didn't use escrow? Do you have insider information? Does knowing how to stick my foot up your ass count as insider information?

+1

I'll bring a laptop with that mIRC script and attach it to Microsoft Bob

Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 08:23:13 AM

BTW, Matthew is speaking at the Bitcoin conference in London one week after the expiration date on his bet. Will it be a tough crowd?
http://www.bitcoin2012.com/speakers

I predict:

<_matthew_> Oh look, another genius has a question about my bet. What's it going to be this time-- how do you feel about your bet now? Do you really have the money? How come you didn't use escrow? Do you have insider information? Does knowing how to stick my foot up your ass count as insider information?
A week from 9/5 would be 9/12... 3 days after the bet ends.  Hopefully we know the answers to the majority of those questions by then.
Grinder
Legendary

Activity: 1284
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 08:30:50 AM

Matthew are you claiming to have 42K BTC?
The scam tag won't hurt more if he doesn't pay 42k than if he doesn't pay 10k, so he can just as well accepting more bets.
Chang Hum

Activity: 714
Merit: 502

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 08:40:15 AM

This whole bet's gone way beyond madness, it's going to be painful to watch the fallout from this...

You've either got no respect for money or no respect for maintaining your reputation I don't know if I'd think worse of you for paying or being stupid enough to pay such a horrific sum of money on such a mindlessly high bet.

In the highly unlikely event you win (which I think would be impossible for pirate to administrate this late in the game), you've over done it to the point the whole forums going to call shenanigans on you! You've got no way of coming out of this without making a SA of yourself!!

I'm going to cash out a large proportion of my Bitcoin on the basis this forum's members make crazy reckless financial moves one after the other. I like the concept of Bitcoin but I've got to question if I want my money in the same pool as people like you and the shamefully scammed.
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 08:43:51 AM

I'm going to cash out a large proportion of my Bitcoin on the basis this forum's members make crazy reckless financial moves one after the other. I like the concept of Bitcoin but I've got to question if I want my money in the same pool as people like you and the shamefully scammed.

Yeah that makes a lot of sense. LOL.

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 09:35:24 AM

This whole bet's gone way beyond madness, it's going to be painful to watch the fallout from this...

You've either got no respect for money or no respect for maintaining your reputation I don't know if I'd think worse of you for paying or being stupid enough to pay such a horrific sum of money on such a mindlessly high bet.

In the highly unlikely event you win (which I think would be impossible for pirate to administrate this late in the game), you've over done it to the point the whole forums going to call shenanigans on you! You've got no way of coming out of this without making a SA of yourself!!

Obviously troll is obvious.

RicePicker

Activity: 216
Merit: 100

RicePicker

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 09:37:27 AM

This is going to end so badly for both sides.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid! =D
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 09:39:51 AM

This is going to end so badly for both sides.

Isn't it grrrrrrreat?

Chang Hum

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 09:41:24 AM

Yes I'm trolling Mathew what you're doing is very astute and good for Bitcoin!
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 10:17:59 AM

Oh my bad. You're actually trying to argue a point? And your entire point is that somehow this is bad for bitcoin? Please explain, I'll grab popcorn.

unclescrooge
aka Raphy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 10:19:59 AM

So one of your point of choice for a currency is the IQ or the hair color or whatever of the people using it?
kentrolla

Activity: 1554
Merit: 565

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2012, 10:22:28 AM

this bet is clearly a ponzi scheme

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2012, 10:24:41 AM

Really? I got no dividends from previous investors yet.  Angry

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
kentrolla

Activity: 1554
Merit: 565

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2012, 10:32:26 AM

Really? I got no dividends from previous investors yet.  Angry
Sorry, I'm not accepting rebuttals at this time.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
policja71

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 10:35:18 AM

Matthew are you still allowing bets? I want to bet 250btc as a hedge for my BST investment. Regardles of that I can also prove via pm that I have the required amount in fiat available to convert to BTC whenever needed.
1J7gTyAruNa8zQQNNRrCWUmxFo4FK7Eweo
Chang Hum

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 10:42:17 AM

So one of your point of choice for a currency is the IQ or the hair color or whatever of the people using it?

In an experimental currency that's value is created by the people who hold it there's a bit of a difference between IQ and hair color and the financial stupidity of those that hold it.

Oh my bad. You're actually trying to argue a point? And your entire point is that somehow this is bad for bitcoin? Please explain, I'll grab popcorn.

Mathew yes gobble your popcorn down;

-Large thefts are bad for bitcoin, backed up by the huge price drop after the MtGox hack.
-Alleged Ponzi Schemes are bad for bitcoin backed up the 33% drop in price occurring at the same time Pirate announced he was closing his alleged Ponzi Scheme.
-Now I would argue that high profile figures and moderators on Bitcoins no1 forum + anyone involved in Bitcoins only publication showing support for alleged ponzi scheme operators by gambling more than most people earn in their lives during the aftermath of an alleged ponzi is also bad for bitcoin.

And if I'm wrong and it's not bad for Bitcoin it's certainly either very bad for you or very bad for the people you bet with if you default. Now I've explained my point, and you're clearly trying to make one of your own with this bet, would you be kind enough to share what it is?
vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3521

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 10:59:14 AM

must... not...    aaaaaagggg!! I cant resist it anymore!

Matthew, Im in for 5 if youll take it.

vapourminer
5 BTC
1M542wRXEvEPPFEuHAgDxh6WVpzR6fauvG
sadpandatech

Activity: 504

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 11:16:45 AM

In an experimental currency that's value is created by the people who hold it there's a bit of a difference between IQ and hair color and the financial stupidity of those that hold it.

and you also believe that the people who lost their money in this scam make up any sizeable portion of ALL the people who hold bitcoin? hmm

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
Chang Hum

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 12:00:13 PM

and you also believe that the people who lost their money in this scam make up any sizeable portion of ALL the people who hold bitcoin? hmm

Yeah I believe the amount of people losing money in scams make up a sizeable portion of All the people who hold bitcoin.

This isn't the first ponzi and the way people treat money here it certainly wont be the last. Disregarding all previous ponzis this one owed about 1/2 a million Bitcoins out of about 10 million in existence 5%!! + just the major thefts contributing 24000 Bitcoin with bitfloor + about 50000 with bitcoinica and 1/2 million with mtgox + tradehill $100000 (however much that was at the time), then you've got the botnet owners mining around 10000 per month, silk road traders, blackmailers and money launderers making up a proportion of the rest of the pot!!

I think it's a very risky start for a currency that completely undermines customer identification programs which every government and bank in the world enforce for very good reason.

bit-joker

Activity: 193
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 12:20:06 PM

42.5kBTC now.

It's funny that this is getting up to be a significant percentage of the estimated Pirate debt at the time of collapse. Pirate being Matthew's backer would be quite a funny twist; if Pirate has enough BTC left and could afford to buy back enough of his debt at a really distressed rate, he could still make out handsomely on this without being as open to getting in trouble with the law.
It's a chicken-and-egg problem though... Pirate can't pay back all of his debt until Matthew receives the winning funds from winning his bet, but Matthew can't receive the winning funds from winning his bet until Pirate pays back all of his debt.  Unless one of them can happen upon a $5M loan, I doubt that it's even a reasonable plan to think about.

Obviously Pirate isn't going to pay all the absurd and unsustainable interest. He might just contact a few of his "investors" (friends who's able) to wait a few days more (after the bet) and return the bitcoins to the majority of victims investors.
Looks like Matthew being his partner backer could claim the money from the bet and pay the interest while the ponzi scheme was working and still make a profit. They're just hedging against.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 »
  Print  

Jump to: